what awning brand/size clears the door?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Puppylove, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

We have a Fleetwood Yuma '04. There is no awning and I'm looking for a canopy to use for shelter instead. I just jumped on a deal for one that I think is actually too low to clear the door. It's still in the box, and I'm finding no dimensions for the eave height online. I'll probably end up returning it and looking for one with a minimum of 8' height at the eaves.
    Anyone using a canopy? What brand works?!
    Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Just a thought, but you can try and use bed raisers to raise the canopy up higher to fit above the door. I’ve never done it myself though as most of my campsites are complicated and won’t fit a canopy by a door.

3. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Hmmm, I like that. I probably need 2'ish. thanks!

4. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

I've seen others that cut pieces of PVC pipe(sounds like you need maybe 3' sections) and drill holes down the side to put a pin or bolt through. Slide the leg of the shelter in the pipe and use your adjustable holes/pin to make it as high as you like. This also lets you compensate for uneven ground.

You probably also realize this but I'll just say. The slope of the shelter roof will divert rain right down toward the door and windows along that wall. Also speaking of rain, some shelter roofs will pool water and actually break the frame. If rain is not an issue you are good to go!

Good luck!

Don

5. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Thanks for sharing that great idea! I've also looked at some pretty nifty ways to attach a tarp to the channel on the trailer wall and hack out a pretty cheapo awning.. I'm thinking of playing around with that idea and connecting it to the canopy. We have a bigger chance of burning up than getting caught in the rain here in CA. I did have a canopy fill with rain once during a springtime rain... Broke it.

Rocket Don likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any pop up canopy that will clear a pup door. If you are dead set on using a canopy you will need to build some risers for the legs. Keep in mind that you will lose the ability to stake the legs unless you add a provision to your risers. Your guy lines may also be too short - every canopy I ever had came with guy lines that were just long enough to stake down.

As you have discovered, it is relatively cheap and easy to DIY an awning if you have a rail already on your pup. If not, you can order a rail to install.

Good luck.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

. This is the route I went with. The way I attached the tarp was to fold a marine rope in on one end of the tarp and gorilla glued and taped it down. I then can slide it in the track on my camper. It’s a pain to put it in by myself as it is a tight fit but it holds strong and doesn’t slip in the wind. Found some tarp poles and paracord on Amazon. Works almost as well an a real awning except over time rain does occasionally dribble through the tarp material. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture of my awning on this device.