What Battery

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Heilman_5, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Will you be boon docking a lot, or using sites with power. A group 24 RV/ Marine battery will probably do you fine and a battery box. Have this same battery going on 3 years. Stays in garage and charged once per month when not on the camp. But I do stay at sites with power.
    [​IMG]

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That is the big question? Will you be using the camper without a 120V AC shore power connection? If so there are two directions to go: 2 golf cart batteries for the people that are going to do a lot of no shore power connection camping. OR get the largest 12v marine battery and battery box you can get. We used a Group 31 battery on all 4 of our campers throughout the years and it cost about $20 more but you get about 60% more battery life. If you need more battery in the future you can add another group 31. You will most likely need a bigger battery box which will cost less than $20.

If you are always going to have shore power? get a group 24

4. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Thanks, I am in Wisconsin and we have lots of waterfall areas with no power, I think it will be about 1/2 and 1/2, last time we had a pop up and camped we had two 12 volt batteries, and we definatly used the furnace.

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Better go the same route then, furnace fan drains the battery pretty quick

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I installed four of these GP24 12V 85AH Interstate batteries which for some reason seem to be the deep cycle battery of choice for most dealers putting them in their new delivered trailers from the manf.

I had four installed when I got my new 2008 Starcraft RT/14 OFF-ROAD POPUP. I lost one right away from boiling out its fluids using the OEM ELIXIR ELX-30 Converter which only puts out 13.6VDC. After learning what not to do with single DC voltage converters I used the remaining three 12V 85AH Interstate Batteries with my new PD9260C Converter/Charger unit that uses smart mode multiple DC VOLTAGE OUTPUTs from late 2008 until this last camping season in 2016 getting full performance out the battery bank...
    [​IMG]

My success was to run them down to their 50% charge state in a one day/night run camping off-grid and then re-charge them back up to their 90% charge starting around 8AM the next morning when allowed to run my generator. This would require around three hours of using my 2KW Honda generator powering up my on-board PD9260C Converter/Charger by plugging the Trailer Shore Power Cable into the Generator 120VAC Receptacle.

I could do about 12-14 of these 50% to 90% charge states before I had to a full 100% charge to not do damage to my batteries that would take a good day or so of charging. I usually would do this at home when I could plug directly into a 120VAC Source at the house.

My wiring setup looks like this drawing...

[​IMG]

This setup using the three GP24 12V Interstate batteries in parallel gives me around 255AHs of Battery capacity.

I purchased the WF8900 series Power Distribution Unit using a WF-8945 smart mode converter/charger unit but never could get it to go into smart mode charging so just abandoned the WF8945 Converter in place and picked up the the PD9260C 60A Smart mode converter/charger to replace it with... I just leave the WF-8945 unit turned off and this then became a backup unit to keep me going until I go home again. I have never had to use the WF-8945 unit so far...

My battery bank story...

I am currently at a stand still building up a new Battery bank using two groups of two GC2 6VDC batteries in series. This will give me a 440AH capacity battery to use...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. davido

davido Active Member

Nice. Where's the fourth one mounted?

Cruising sailors often purchase battery banks that exceed their needed capacity because it is easier to charge a battery from 50% to 85% than to take it all the way to 100%. For example, if it takes four hours of charging to go from 50 to 85%, it might take another four to get that final 15%. So what they'll do is run their gen-set enough time each day to get back to 85%, and only ever get to a full 100% again when they reach their slips.

To make this sort of plan work they have to match their battery bank to be even more than that final 15% larger than their needs.

Imagine a 100AH bank. Keeping always above 50% means there are 50AH available between charges. But 85% of 100AH is 85AH, so all that is REALLY available if you plan to only recharge to 85% each day is 35AH. If they have an energy budget that needs a full 50AH between charges they would have to purchase a battery bank with about 140-145AH of capacity. That way they can start at 85% charge (145*.85=123.25), and they can draw 50AH out of that 123.25: 123.25-50=73AH. And in so doing, still remain above 50% charge of 72AH.

It may seem wasteful to buy more battery than you need, but if you are charging in the field, you end up running the generator less if you are able to stay in the "bulk charge" range during most of your daily charge cycle.

KJ Knowles and crackerJack like this.