What camper would you get if you went dark?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Freedom72, May 22, 2016.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Airstream

Attached Files:

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

After 25 years in Pup's and a couple years in a NYU hybrid, we researched for our best fit for us and bought a 2015 Shamrock 21DK last April.
    [​IMG]

Must have made a good choice.....everyone else loves it too

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Airstream, Arctic Fox, Winnebago, Takena or a restored retro would start our list for consideration.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Freedom72
    We went from towing the 8' Coleman Cobalt pup to the 17' Whitewater Retro, which is 8' wide. It was a bit of an adjustment. It took us three tries to find the extension mirrors that worked for us. We ended up adding a video monitor, with a camera on the TT's license plate. We found that vehicles sneak in behind us, plus it helps for merging, backing into a site, etc.
    Our 2005 4Runner is rated as 5000# towing capacity and the Retro is about 3200#. The 4Runner coped, we towed it across the country, as well as in the mountains of Colorado. However, we didn't feel like we had enough margin at times, and the wind resistance, even with rounded front and back, seemed to be a big part of that.
    We bought a NTU truck this spring, rated to tow 7K#. We've had two trips so far this year, and the truck has done much better. Having towed in 30+ wind gusts whit the 4Runner and 50 mph headwinds with the truck, I can say that - while I definitely hate towing in the wind - the truck was a great change.
    Friends of our went from ground camping last year to a Casita, also 17' - but it isn't as wide as the Retro and is rounded all around. They are towing with a 2007 4Runner, and say they'll eventually get a more capable TV, even with the Casita they'd like more margin.

Someone termed the Retro we chose a "couples' trailer", which is about correct. The "island bed" is great - it stays made up, and lifts for lots of storage under it. The dinette does convert, but it would be crowded.
    For Thanksgiving, we're meeting our friends with the Casita at a campground - it should be interesting if the weather forces us all inside. We've been in each TT, but haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet.

5. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

[​IMG]

6. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

That's cool...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We were thinking of one of those Dodge Sprinter class "B" motorhomes. I believe they use Mercedes as well.

8. backinthegame

backinthegame If it ain't poppin, it ain't campin

Probably something in the Forest River line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I really like the winnie drop 170S

It's a new floor plan with a full bath

anybody considering a drop?

Attached Files:

10. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

https://www.google.com/search?q=nest+camper&rlz=1Y3KTZR_enUS691US692&oq=nest+camper&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.11877j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=M2iGg67UxbzfgM%3A

I spent a long time drooling over this one. If only money were no object...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

11. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Can I change my vote?

Attached Files:

12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I go with a CTcamper: [​IMG]

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

[​IMG]

14. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Our shortlist includes a similar Keystone Passport ultra lite (238ML bunkhouse), a Rockwood Mini-Lite bunkhouse, or a Jayco Jay Feather bunkhouse. Basically we want a 22-24' bunkhouse, probably with no slideout, with a rear bath opposite the bunks, and a murphy queen bed up front. My Ridgeline is limited to a 5000# tow rating, so I don't want anything bigger than about 4200# dry weight.

This is kindof our ideal floorplan:
    [​IMG]

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

FYI - dry weight means nothing

16. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Thanks Freedom, I haven't climbed up on the roof yet but I really like everything about minnie. I haven't seen a drop on the lot yet but I've looked at a lot of pics now that you brought it to my attention. I might have to reevaluate now :)

17. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

???

I know the dry weight isn't the total amount I'd be towing, I'm trying to allow for several hundred pounds of gear/food. But since "dry weight" or "shipped weight" is usually the only weight they offer, it's a good starting point to set a maximum "dry weight" threshold at several hundred pounds below what my max is.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@jnc
    We have really enjoyed our Retro. The fact that's it's "cute" or "cool" was one of my rewards for having to give up the pup. They aren't as much of an unusual occurrence as even a year ago, but we've had lots of interesting comments about ours, and requests for tours.

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just wanted to remind you to also look into tongue weight. Not sure what your max tongue weight your TV can handle, but I've noticed most units with Murphy beds gave a heavier tongue weight. If all you see is dry tongue weight you have to add the weight on propane tank(s) and battery. Also wanted to throw this out there... if you have a lot of hill/mountains where you like to camp, you may want to look into something a bit lighter than 4200 dry. You could be really taxing your vehical if there are hills.

20. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

Max tongue weight on my truck is 600lbs with a WD hitch. Yeah I'm checking that at the same time I'm checking the dry weight.

Thanks.