What can 100W of solar power do?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Turpentine, Jun 24, 2020.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

In my case I want to try a couple of 100WATT Solar panels to use with charging my battery bank after making a one day/night run. I can get this back to its 90% charge state by running my 2KW Generator for three hours in the mornings during breakfast. I am hoping by adding a couple of 100WATT Solar Panels I can get away with just running my 2KW Generator for around 1 hour to get past the high 40-50AMP initial demand charge state. Once the demand drops back to the 5-6AMPS I can shut down my generator and let the solar panels do their thing the rest of the day during high sun...

We all do different things camping off-grid haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. iamgb1

iamgb1 Member

Since the fridge uses so little propane, it might be easiest to use a simple adapter called the Steak Saver, or Coleman Propane Grill Adapter. Either of these converts the connection on the 1lb bottles to the same one as the larger tanks, so it can be connected to the regular supply line without modification. Another option is the Coleman Gemini propane carrier that holds two 1lb bottles and provides a full-size fitting.

As others have mentioned, maintaining tongue weight is important. You really need AT LEAST 10% of your trailer weight on the tongue. Personally I prefer my trailers closer to 15% TW as I find they are much more stable on the highway when loaded that way. If your vehicle can't handle the hitch weight you may want to look at airbags for the rear suspension (and increased rear tire pressure), or a weight distribution hitch.

Turpentine likes this.
  3. Turpentine

Turpentine New Member

Yeah that's what I have in mind. Or just go with a 20 that is half full. I was surprised to notice that weight of an empty propane bottle does not depend much on its size after all: about 10lbs for a 5, 14lbs for a 10 and 18lbs for a 20.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Most of the local dealers I've done business with still charge for fill by cylinder volume, rather than gallon, so half filling a 20 lb cyl would cost as much as a full one. If you're doing exchanges, those only come 3/4 full but still cost about 70% more than a refill at my locals.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Costco if your a member is the best pricing for propane fills that I have ever found.

6. stierheim

stierheim New Member

Yes, maintaining adequate TW is very important to handling. However, a weight distributing (WD) hitch DOES NOT fix a hitch weight problem. A WD hitch can only correct for exceeding GAWR on the rear axle (by moving some of this weight to the front axle), the WD hitch cannot increase the hitch weight rating. TW cannot be decreased by a WD hitch.