What changes when your dog comes camping?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by TheBlurb, May 22, 2021.

1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Our new puppy will soon be going camping for the first time. We’re going away for 2.5 weeks, and the pup will be sleeping in the pup.

We’re new dog owners, but my wife and I had dogs growing up.

Any advice for managing the dog at the campground? And in the trailer sleeping? We’re still trying to get our heads around it. Right now he sleeps in a crate at home (he’s small: a havanese-yorkie), but fitting a crate and 3 kids in the pup might be too crowded. As for the daytime, im thinking a very long leash would give him enough freedom and comfort at the campsite (too young to be trusted off-leash). My wife thought of setting up a fenced area, but that seems like too much bother on a trip that’ll take us to several different campgrounds.
    Love your thoughts.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

1- dog is use to a crate.. set the crate where the dinette table would go..

2- I use horse leads from TSC store, looks like a long dog leash for our 2 beagles..

3- Any campground I have been to have 2 very important rules for dog owners.. 1- Dog MUST be leashed at all times, unless at the dog beach. 2- dogs are NEVER to be left alone.. meaning you go to the beach with the kids, someone either stays behind with the dog, or you all go to the dog beach..

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Hope you have a dog that loves camping as much as Quincy and I do
    . pinic table.png

Bowman3d, Pugwinkle, Pommom70 and 3 others like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree to bring a crate. Buy a travel crate if you need to so long as your puppy isn’t in the destructive stage as a travel crate won’t last. I personally put my crates on the dinette table, but if you got kiddo on that bed, perhaps put the crate at the feet of someone or counter. If your puppy is used to the crate use it camping as well. It becomes their den where it feels safe, less likely to bark etc. The biggest change in having a dog is your very limited about where you can go. Some campgrounds forbid dogs at the beach or pool, you may not be able to bring the pup on certain hiking trails or sometimes even in other areas of the campground . Always best to reasearch your campground before you bring your pup. Went to one campground with out researching and discovered the hard way my dogs weren’t allowed anywhere outside the physical campground. Biggest rule is you are to not leave your pup alone when you want to take the kids somewhere the dog can’t. If your puppy was to bark while you are away the campground can kick you out. You can ask a camp neighbor to dog sit if needs be. So so long as your dog is being controlled. As far as to what to do about the dog in camp. There are options, but each one has a downside. A long lead (but dogs can get wrapped around everything in the way.) An exercise pen (set up and storage issues). Or something called a Sky Track. Essentially a rope tied around between a couple trees head hight and a leash attached to that rope. I’ve just discovered this so haven’t tried it yet.
    Keep your dog leashed at all times. As a fellow dog owner, even if your dog is friendly you may meet up with a dog whom is not as friendly. My dog is a rescue she had some very bad experiences. I’ve worked with her a lot. She absolutely loves camping and does great when walking by leashed dogs on a trail. However my dog hates when a strange dog sniffs her. So if your dog or another dog was to approach her off leash to say hi, trouble could happen especially if your dog doesn’t know how to read and respond appropriately to dogs body language. I will have control over my dog, but an unleashed dog is not under control unless you are Cesar Millan and his dogs never leave his heel. So please please please do not ever walk your dog off leash anywhere unless it’s your own land. Your dog may be friendly but another dog may not be. Always ask the other dog owner if it’s ok for the dogs to meet.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pudgy Beagle !! :):)

Pommom70 and xxxapache like this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

He'll be more comfortable with the crate, even if the crate becomes your new table.

Mary Anne Hunter and TheBlurb like this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

40 pound beagle
    Mom spoiled him so bad ...... and I know its not good for him ....... but my wife never listens to me.

aan1129, OR_scott and TheBlurb like this.
  8. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I've seen lots of people set up a little fence area close to their pup for the pup.

Mary Anne Hunter and TheBlurb like this.
  9. hayyward

hayyward Active Member Gold Supporting Member

If you are going to be a camper then your dog needs to be too or you need a reliable second home for it. I think people who leave their dogs alone at camp don't realize that it barks while they're gone. Most dogs are home alone during workdays (8+ hours a day, M-F), "they'll be fine" the people think. It's both very annoying and heart wrenching to listen to.

We were surprised by what a good camper our dog was. Jack was very well behaved, much better than at home. He didn't bark at other camp dogs or people like he would have at home (where he maybe thought his job was to protect his property). He loved the beach, hiking, and the car rides. We brought his dog bed so he knew where his space was. He was on a lead always. We bought a harness for him that he only wore camping, we called it his camp shirt. :smiley: We'd bring his bed out when we were outside so he had his space. If we were sitting around the campfire, his bed was next to my chair at the end of his lead, out of reach of the campfire.

One time at night around the campfire there was a moose on our shoreline. We couldn't see it due to the total darkness but we could hear it eating, slurping, and sloshing in the water. Jack was on high alert! He was all wide-eyed and he knew there was something big that he had no business dealing with! He didn't bark or even think about checking it out. I speak in past tense because 14 years was all we had with our little buddy. We miss him terribly.
    Jack wants to drive.JPG
    Jack on Oberg Mt..jpg

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

One of ours got up nearly 50lbs, the vet suggested a diet food (expensive) but he lost weight.. he lost about 13 lbs the first year..

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Camping isnt much different than home. We dont use a crate at either place. The biggest difference is we dont go off and leave the dog in the camper. She isnt destructive. We just choose to take her everywhere. If a dog isnt allowed, we dont go. She is always with us. The other difference is she is tethered while camping vs being in a fenced yard at home. We use a piece of 550 cord with a carabiner on the end. I have loops in it so I can shorted as needed. Been using the same piece of cord for 14 years and two different dogs.

12. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Great responses. I should have nipped this one in the bud, but we don’t plan on leaving the dog alone at any point. Just want to make him comfortable at the campsite!

Pugwinkle, suzhahm and Michael J like this.
  13. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Paracord - that’s a great idea.

xxxapache likes this.
  14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We have two dogs 70LBS and over...We bought 20 ft leashes that stay in the camper at all times
    along with feeding and water bowls.
    It will take a few trips but your dog will figure it out and settle in.
    I don't suggest leaving your dog in the camper alone until it can be trusted.
    Our lab will stand by the door mid day and the evening and we let him in and he will lay down and go to sleep.
    Our hound will never settle down until we go to bed or are in the camper with her.
    Nice long walks in mid to late morning will tire them out and they will settle down for the rest of the day.
    Evening walks again help tire them out.
    For hot weather we bought a floor/carpet fan and we place it outside and they will lay down in front it.
    They catch on pretty fast.

Attached Files:

15. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

I’d have to get a much larger trailer if I had two dogs that size in addition to the kids!!

rescamilla and firepit like this.
  16. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Train your dog and you'll need to be trained on how to do it. Socialize them and keep them from barking. Trained, friendly mutts are fun to have around. kids and dogs at camp492.jpg

rescamilla likes this.
  17. Watchamakalit

Watchamakalit New Member

We are currently camping with our 2 dogs. We have a pekinese (sp?) And a lab/mastiff mix. It's just the wife and I with them. The little one sleeps with her in one bunk and the big one with me in the other bunk. Works well for us. Outside depending on the campground rules they are tethered to a skyline or on a leash. Ours have adjusted well to popup life and spend alot of the time snoozing on my bunk end watching us in camp.

TheBlurb and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  18. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Pics??????

19. Watchamakalit

Watchamakalit New Member

Happy pups in the pup

Attached Files:

Pugwinkle, Rik Peery and TheBlurb like this.
  20. upstate family

upstate family Active Member

Our dogs love camping. This past weekend we took our inherited dog for the first time. She did great. We wrap long leads around trees so they can wander on our campsite. We now have 2 dogs that like to go out on the water in kayak or paddle board with our kids. The other 2 are scared of the water. Since we are now blessed with 4 dogs we are rotating who comes camping. My husband said 4 at camp is too much to handle. This weekend proved which dogs are the barkers, and my husband had to eat crow since it’s his that is loud. Lol.

Pugwinkle, Rik Peery, WrkrBee and 2 others like this.