What changes when your dog comes camping?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by TheBlurb, May 22, 2021.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Our dogs go on 20ft leashes at our campsite...We always pick sites where people dont cut through....They wear a harness
    And 3ft leashes on walks.
    For fleas and ticks we started this yr with pills that last 3 months.
    We used to use the stuff that you squirted on their back up by their neck and rubbed it into their fur.

TheBlurb likes this.
  2. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Interesting ideas - would love to see photos of anyone’s setup!

3. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Ugh I was afraid of that.

4. RisaAdventures

RisaAdventures Member

DE5636DE-BD3A-45E4-833A-DEFEB908E00A.jpeg D5F7C2CA-85E5-40B1-9453-543166CEF378.jpeg My dog has nothing really change... he doesn’t use a kennel and is pretty spoiled with having an indoor and outdoor bed when we camp. I got a leash that has a handle that can be unbuckled and buckled around things. So I can attach him to stuff no matter where we go from kayak to camping chair. I prefer that as he likes to be close to me at all times and will whine if I go too far. He usually is off leash except for campgrounds and around a lot of people.

Rik Peery and TheBlurb like this.
  5. Karen McGinn

Karen McGinn Member

I just purchased 2 36-inch tall wire exercise play pens to give mine off leash space. Plus have a 24 inch to block them going under the RV.

TheBlurb likes this.
  6. craig heaton

craig heaton Member

With Ben, we bring a soft sided crate and use it as "his place" when riding in the car. When my wife is fishing and I'm not able to be there with her to mind the dog, he's in the soft crate beside her while she's fishing. In camp, we keep him on a 20' leash (shortened if it's a small campsite) tied either to a tree or a screw in hook. In the camper, we keep his bed under the dinette. He seems to like it there and if he's feeling tired in the evening, he'll ask us to let him in the camper even if we're still outside (he does this by walking up to the camper and looking at the door and then back at us :) ). If I'm on the sofa, he does try to climb up and seems put out when we tell him "no" (he's allowed to at home, but the home sofa is leather...not vinyl :) ... more resistant to his nails.)

Attached Files:

• db.jpg
      db.jpg
      File size:
      115.1 KB
      Views:
    TheBlurb likes this.
  7. Geri Leedahl

Geri Leedahl New Member

I hiked the Oberg Mt. Loop for the first time last fall (Oct. 2020). Beautiful, Fun, and easy.

8. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

I like the bed location - nice fit!

9. happybooker1

happybooker1 Member

I have to take my 2 little dogs when we go camping. No one to leave them with. Mine are small: 1 Tiny toy poodle (6#) and a miniature dachshund V(12#). Both them and the grandson sleep with me in the bed. My son has a dog he brings -- A Texas Heeler about 40#. Very well trained and mindful. My son's GF brought her Pit along last camping trip, about 90# of bumbling puppyness. UGH!! Not enough room with the Pit. 4 dogs is too many!!

10. MamaRose

MamaRose New Member

I'd love to see the loops on your lead. Interesting to change lengths at will!

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Its really nothing special. Just tie a small loop every so often on the end away from the carabiner. Then, you can run the cord around an object like a tree or table leg and pull the carabiner end through the desired loop to make the tie out longer or shorter.

MamaRose likes this.
  12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wife's 'chi is extreme well trained at 3 years old; uses a pee pad & stays by her side, likes the water, easy to lug around, & if we need to set up/take down, she attaches his leash to a screw in the ground doo-dad. Only prob is the little cuss whines off/on & paces when she heads to the bath house; other than that, good to go...

thumbnail_IMG_2467.jpg 56629312_1332092880277973_3207397421063602176_n.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2500.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2423.jpg

Pugwinkle likes this.
  13. Pugwinkle

Pugwinkle New Member

Can you provide a link to that leash you are talking about. Your pooch is adorable!

14. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

neighbormike likes this.
  15. SheaLoner

SheaLoner Member

I've just used a carabiner on the leash handle. No need to buy a special leash just to be able to loop the leash around a fence post and clip it.

Rik Peery and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I just saw your post here, and haven't read all of the posts above. I don't take my dog Jackson camping. I would love to, but he is 75 lbs big and my camper is only 12 feet long. He stays with my daughter who lives with me and doesn't camp. I'm out here on the Mojave Desert. This is a camper and dirt-bike Mecca. Almost every weekend there is a sea of RVs out there and many have their dogs with them. Every weekend some dog gets away from their owners and wanders off in the desert never to be seen again. There are always signs posted on telephone poles around town saying: "Lost dog, reward, please call 661-XXX-XXXX". If the dog isn't found, it will be dead in a few days from the heat and lack of water. It breaks my heart. I have helped search for many a dog.

My dog got away from me out there a few years ago and I panicked. I searched for him for 30 minutes before giving up and going back home to get on my Quad and search some more. When I got home, Jackson was sitting in the garage waiting for me. He knows his way around and knew his way home. I did not realize that.

Since then I bought a Whistle GPS tracking collar for him. Now no matter where he goes, I can find him on the Smartphone app. If you are taking your dog camping with you, I highly recommend getting a Whistle Go Explore GPS collar. If you do, and the dog should get loose, you'll be able to find him quickly.

TheBlurb and neighbormike like this.