What could constantly be draining my new battery?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by grsparty, Apr 17, 2019.

1. grsparty

grsparty New Member

So I bought a brand new Coachmen Clipper February of 2018. Camped all last season using electric hookups. Earlier this winter, I decided I should check the batter voltage on the battery. It was dead. Now, I'm not talking about, "hey my battery's voltage is 11.8 and it's dead." The voltage was reading 0.8! I didn't even know it could get that low.

So I charged it back up with a trickle charger until it was fully charged. It has been sitting "stable" for roughly 6 weeks now since I charged it up (maybe 8 weeks). I checked the voltage again tonight and it's reading 2.17 volts. The factory installed a Deka Marine/RV deep cycle starting battery. I thought I read on here that 12v starting batteries were not good?

Is there that much of a constant pull on the battery that it should be totally drained that far in a matter of 6-8 weeks? That seems very crazy to me, but I am at a loss here.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Is it hooked up to the camper?

3. grsparty

grsparty New Member

Yes, it's hooked up to the camper.

4. Sjm9911

Is there any vampire appliances on in the camper? The older ones have the gas meeter thats always on.

5. grsparty

grsparty New Member

What is a vampire appliance?? The PUP is a 2018, so it isn't "old".

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. Sjm9911

Anything that draws power when plugged in, like the gas detector. A light thats left on. Most lights will go out with the galley switch. But i dont know about the new pop ups. Maybe a light in the storage area?

gladecreekwy likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

On the older pups the gas detector will drain down the battery as its always on.

8. grsparty

grsparty New Member

I do think that the little gas detector light is always on, as there is no on/off switch for it. But does that draw enough power to drain a battery that far in a matter of weeks?? There aren't any lights in the storage areas and no lights are on.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most likely it is the propane gas detector .. It is hard wired to the incoming 12 volt feed from the battery. Either disconnect the positive (+) wire from the battery, install a disconnect switch or pull the inline fuse on the positive wire near the battery when you are not using the pup..

10. Sjm9911

You figure they would have addressed that by now, but it seems like they didnt. Yes , it will drain the battery dry.

PointyCamper likes this.
  11. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Taking the battery off the camper and store it in the garage on a trickle charger is the best way to make fresh and last for several years.

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Mine does. It shocked me too when I discovered this. Now, I always disconnect the battery when the pup is stored.

grsparty and Blackripley like this.
  13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Your battery is no good.

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Get a solar tender.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As best as I could determine on our pup, the LP/CO detector drained the battery by about 10% in a week. We added a cut-off switch to the battery for that.

On our small TT, we have the cut-off switch but seldom use it, since we tend to leave it plugged in. It lives at home and the refrigerator is on most of the time from March-the end of Nov. We have dual 6v "golf cart" batteries, which can be drained lower than the standard group 2 or 27 commonly used on pups, but we prefer not to push it during storage.

16. grsparty

grsparty New Member

I store my PUP in my garage, so I think what I will do is just unhook the battery in-between summer camping trips. Kind of annoying, but if that's what I've got to do, that's what I've got to do.

Do you think I'll need to keep a trickle on it during the summer if it is not connected to the camper between trips? Trips would be spaced out 6-8 weeks apart likely.

BikeNFish likes this.
  17. grsparty

grsparty New Member

So here is exactly what my next question was going to be. Now that I've basically roasted my 12v down to barely any voltage, TWICE now. Is the battery toast?

18. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure it's toast, but draining it all the way down can do some damage. Most auto parts stores can test it for you.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's the reason you always want to disconnect the battery whenever the trailer is being stored and isn't plugged into shore power so the converter can maintain a proper charge on the battery. Battery disconnect switches are sold for this exact purpose for those who prefer to not have to physically disconnect cables from the battery. As for your current battery, it's toast - replace it and remember to disconnect it when you're not using the trailer.

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

No battery will read 0.8 volts unless there is an open cell or some other serious damage.
    If you are sure you have measured correctly have it checked. If it really is 0.8 volts it is absolutely no good anymore.