What did I get myself into? i.e. what accessories do I need to buy now?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jessMN, May 25, 2019.

1. jessMN

jessMN Member

I purchased a used 1996 Starcraft Venture 1706 this week and plan to take it out in mid June for the first time. In the meantime, we are cleaning it up and getting our accessories together....but I don't even know what I need! I'm learning that I need some way to stabilize/level it. Any recommendations?
    What else is absolutely vital to purchase to start out?

Thanks in advance!
    Jess

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Start by going to the resources area and download the owner's manual. I use pieces of 2x6 and 1x6 for leveling and for blocks under the stabilizers

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Spend a couple hours perusing the portal. There have been countless threads on this subject. It will also help fill the gaps in your knowledge. I spent months researching pups and how to use them before I bought mine and it made a huge difference. You will have issues at some point and that knowledge could make or break a trip.

Congrats on the new purchase! Hope your first trip and many more after are awesome!

4. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Camp driveway is a great place to start. Make a list of things you go in the house for.

5. kgesiako

kgesiako Active Member

Also other than the fabulous resources that are offered here at the portal, YouTube has an insane amount of knowledge for pop ups. Even if it’s not your model, the process for setting up is usually very similar between brands, and the campground ideas are endless!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Do not go overboard buying thing you think you might need until you have driveway (or a close CG) a couple of times, make a list as you go, it is easy to spend money on things you may never use or need. You will need a water hose, water pressure regulator, stabilizers (might already be installed) chocks (can be made from 4 X 4 blocks, leveling boards, spare tire and jack, lug wrench. as for dishes etc. wait and see what you will need. Just take your time and fill in the list as you go. Good Luck and happy Camping

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree to go slowly with the purchasing.

For everyday items, do a driveway campout to sort that stuff out.

Then decide if you will be camping at places with hookups or not. If not, then you can skip a lot of things. If so, then water pressure regulators, adapters, surge protectors, etc. are in your future.

For leveling, the 2x4 wood blocks are a cheap start. Then you can decide if you want to spend money on lighter plastic block sets. A good chock or two is good to get now - you'll want to use them when storing your camper as well as whn using it.

Bring a basic tool box with you - screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. And duct tape and WD-40.

I always bring along a soft sided cooler, water pitcher, fire grate, and battery operated lantern and flashlight. With those, you can keep camping if anything breaks down. No power - use the lantern to see. Fridge dies - go buy ice and use the cooler. Water pump dies or a line springs a leak - use campground water. Propane runs out or has problems - cook on the fire.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

In my case the small inside fridge is just to cool things down like cold drinks etc... All of my frozen items in kept in my COLEMAN 5-day Ice Chest that is setting in the back of my truck... I fill it up with ice and have a clear container sitting on top of the ice/water where our meats and frozen things are kept... I usually run out of ice after three days (Maybe before) so this is a trip to town or somewhere to get more ice. The camp grounds usually have ICE and FIREWOOD at their so called camp store...

I've been thinking about getting one of those ice makers from WALMART since we like to camp off-grid back in the woods somewhere most of the time...

Everything has to run off shore power, generator, or batteries... Its take good planning to have what you need to stay out a few days off-grid...

I need to start looking into solar now... I do have a couple of 10-watt panels but they are only good for small trickle charge when in high sun. I have to run my generator every morning for about three hours to keep my bigger battery bank charged up enough to do the next day/night off the batteries...

It takes abit of planning - just can't show up and expect it all to come together... I call these things my PLAN B's

Another rule I follow real close is to never do anything with the truck start battery. This is your only way home perhaps...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

jessMN and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. jessMN

jessMN Member

Thanks :) I'm just a bit overwhelmed. Our first trip is in 3 weeks and we will have water and electric hookups so I know I need to get stuff for that. I've been scouring the forum and making lists for hours, probably why I'm overwhelmed :D

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Set it up in the driveway, if possable. Then you can see what exactly you need. Wants will come later. Fresh water hose, water pressure reducer, and a in line water filter. If using water, then you need to see how your going to dispose of that water, so another hose ,hook up for the discharge and a tank or fitting to hook into a sewer hook up. Yes chocks, leveling blocks, extra wood , and make sure you have a jack and tire wrench that fits your tires. Extra fuses in case one goes. Make sure your trailor chains are good , and to see if your pup has brakes. If it does , break controll , battery and cut off switch. Chairs and table, outside matt, stuff to cook with, first aid kit, stuff to clean with, and personal stuff. The list goes on and on!

neighbormike likes this.
  11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

It's very easy to get overwhelmed and over supplied. I would recommend breaking it down to 3 areas.
    1. The TV (tow vehicle). Make sure it's ready to go and properly serviced.
    2. The trailer
    a. Safe tires (not aged out and properly inflated)
    b. A jack and lug wrench that will work on the trailer
    c. Small tool kit for the trailer with extra fuses
    d. Water connections (if you're going to use campground water)
    1) Water Regulator
    2) Water hose
    3) Bottled water, if you prefer
    e. Electric connections
    1) Proper amp extension cord
    f. something to level and chock the trailer
    3. Camping
    a. If you tent camped, you probably have every thing you need.
    b. Something to cook/eat with
    1) minimal pots & pans
    2) plates, bowls & cups
    3) eating utensils
    4) minimal cooking utensils (spatula, spoon, knives, etc.)
    5) Paper towels &/or napkins
    6) Trash bags
    c. Regular Medicines & toiletries
    d. First Aid Kit
    e. Food
    f. Something to do in case of bad weather (cards, games, whatever)
    g. 1 extra set of clothes for everyone
    h. Whatever you need for your planned activities
    I. Flashlight ( I like the cheapo $1 head lamps from wally world)
    j. Bedding (sleeping bags or linen whichever you prefer)

I know it's still a lot, but I hope it helps.

jessMN and Anthony Hitchings like this.
  12. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Must have purchase was a Bal leveler. Bought this after my first trip. Makes leveling absurdly easy.

Other then that we are only in our 2nd season and end up stopping at walmart a lot as we learn what we need.

13. jessMN

jessMN Member

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed

14. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Nice to have you here with us Jess. Are you in MN? Same as others have stated, you should try camping you'll figure that and that not you might need along.