What did you do to your TV this month

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Yak, Apr 2, 2016.

1. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

My wife bought a '17 Expedition a couple of months ago (secondary TV). It has a backup camera in it. Anyhow, after using that backup camera, I was spoiled. Needless to say, my '08 F250 doesn't have one. A couple of weeks a I was backing my empty car hauler into its parking place and ended up backing over my flag pole (because you can't see the car hauler without the tailgate down, which will hit the tongue jack if turned far enough).

So then and there I decided I would add a backup camera to my F250. I looked the $30 ones on eBay and the backup camera/GPS combos, which would be really nice. I finally settled on the Hopkins Smart hitch because of its ease of installation, good reviews and its built in proximity sensors. I ordered it through Walmart for $104 on Friday and received it this afternoon.

As previously stated, it was EASY to install. The camera and proximity sensors are mounted on a license plate bracket which your plate is installed onto, then screwed into the original mounting location. From there, you plug the included T plug inline with the TV 7 way plug and route the cable to the cabin. I ran mine along the inside of the frame rail to a hole grommet in the rear of the cab floor. From there, I ran the cable under the door sill, behind the kick panel, up around the parking brake mechanism, beside the dash, under the a pillar trim and under the front of the headliner. I decided to mount the 3.5" monitor right above the rearview mirror. After I got everything installed, I I threw it in reverse and.....NOTHING! I checked the backup lights - no lights! After checking a fuses, I found the right one that was blown - replaced that and IT WORKED!

Next, I adjusted the sensors (#2 position on my truck), then went back in to check it out. I had to go back out to adjust the camera to an angle that worked for me - easy enough!

It was dark by this time, but I HAD to see how well it worked. I threw it in reverse and backed up to the camper using ONLY the backup camera. I backed up until the sensors beeped and the red lines flashed. I got out checked - my ball was exactly where it looked like it was on the camera. I got back in and backed up until it looked like I was right under the ball, then got but to check - PERFECT! I pulled up and tried it a few more times with the same results - PERFECT enough for the coupler to drop right don on the ball! IN THE DARK too! Needless to say, I am really impressed with this system.

So far I have only found one thing that I'm not really liking. I don't like how you change between everyday mode (wide angle) and hitch mode (different type of lines). You have to push in on the volume wheel and push up. This didn't work for me a few times, but it COULD be user error also! It takes a couple of seconds for the monitor to come on when you put the vehicle in reverse too. It would be nice if they partnered with Garmin for a integrated system.

So, again, I am very impressed with this $100 backup camera - I know it will save me MANY trips in and out of the truck and help keep me from hitting anything else when I back up.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Scored a great deal on a single tub sink and a 2 burner flush mount stove for my new counter top. Its just too cold to work on right now.

3. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Replaced the rear brake shoes, added LED head lights, and an oil change. Total cost under $25. Will replace the front pads in the next few days, free as lifetime warranty, should be the 4th set in 8 years for $25!!

4. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Did I carby????
    Newbie from Australia & I'm more of an old school car guy, so what is this magnificent carby feed beast?
    Mine is a 1965 HD Holden Special, 205 cubic inch inline 6 with twin carbs & 3 speed auto.

Attached Files:

Haybale likes this.
  5. DR Stitch H.D

DR Stitch H.D Member

Running an upgraded engine & transmission on my all Australian 1965 HD Holden Special.
    I went from a baby 179 cubic inch inline six & 2 speed auto to a mildly worked 205 cubic inche six & a V8 spec'ed 3 speed auto.

Attached Files:

Ductape, xxxapache and J Starsky like this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Ford 460 with a Motorcraft 4350 4 barrel carb, C6 3 speed transmission, and Ford 9 inch rearend.

DR Stitch H.D likes this.