What did you do to your TV this month

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Yak, Apr 2, 2016.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In the TV, though not part of it: replaced the malfunctioning rear view monitor. Easy fix; order new one, remove film on screen, plug in.
    The camera is mounted on the TT's license plate, and we have wires running under the TT, then a connector and another set routed through the truck bed, into a back door and to the front. It's all powered by the 12v outlet in the TV. Some of the pins on the monitor side of a connector broke; we decided we just need to leave all that connected. We used to remove the monitor in bigger breaks between trips.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I put lots of gas in mine.

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Got a new Tonneau cover for it. The old one was junk and fell apart. Also gave it a much needed bath.

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Placed my order with etrailer this morning to get the new Sienna set up as a TV. Hitch plus all the wiring needed for a 7-way hookup. I'll be adding a brake controller and brakes to the pup at a later date, but wanted to only have to run wires under the van once.

5. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Put the old TV, my trusty Transit Connect, up for sale. [:(] It will be missed, but life changes & we go on... like to Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton & Rocky Mountain Nation Parks!!

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Installed a set of auxiliary springs. Didn't want to use airbags for fear of road debris puncturing them. Haven't towed with them yet but it looks promising.

7. 64osby

64osby Member

After not being able to stop quickly while towing, blew one stop light in slow motion.

Decided to inspect the brakes. All pads were in great shape, the rear adjusters were frozen.

Now the brakes work great. [:D]

8. kitphantom

I took it in for (I hoped) and oil change, tire rotation and the results of the latest oil consumption test. In 1200 or so miles, it used/lost about 1-1/4 quarts of oil. It is not leaking, it does not burn it. The problem is being kicked up to the next tech level, whatever that might be. The Colorado is still at the shop until it can be determined what the next step is. I did run into the salesman and finance guy that we dealt with. Both wanted to know "How's the truck doing?", so I told them how disappointed we are to have this mystery.

9. kitphantom

The truck is still in the shop, waiting for a part to arrive from a distant warehouse. So far, the word is that "the engineers" (that was the next tech level, I guess) say the PCV valve or something in that assembly is not working correctly. Since it is a 2015, apparently the needed part is not yet stocked in all supply warehouses. I'm not sure if that means we have an odd problem, since they don't keep that part handy, or just what.
    Once installed, we get to repeat the "take it home, drive it some amount of mileage, and bring it back" routine to see if that fixes the problem.
    Now that we have the detailing odor issue on the wane, and managed to find a combination of wedge seat pillow and thick towel back support that works for me, we both really like the truck. It tows well, my husband has enough leg and head room for the first time in many years, and (bonus) it looks like it was meant to go with the Retro. We really hope this is just one of those weird issues that crop up on vehicles form time to time.

10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

New tires and new battery, hopefully found the AC leak, will replace the O-ring and have recharged tomorrow.

Then start a 3-4week camping road trip Wednesday!!

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Okay, I am down to the oil change and the new tires. I will hopefully get the tires tomorrow and do the oil change Friday or Saturday; we leave for NM on Sunday. Everything went well with the suspension kits today.

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

The past couple nights were spent installing the hitch and trailer wiring on the new TV. I still need to run the wires up to the battery, but decided it would be next to impossible to get under a minivan in the driveway to do it. No problem, we are heading back home for the 4th and my parents have a pit for working under cars (a poor man's lift where you drive over a hole in the ground made out of concrete) so I'll just drive the van up and do it there.

13. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Bathed the TV last night. I will change the oil today and put on new wiper blades. She is ready to roll. The new Michelins are beautiful!

14. kitphantom

We've been waiting for "The Part" to arrive for our truck. It has been at the shop 2 weeks. I got a call today that the part had finally been identified/located - but wouldn't be in until August 15. We were offered a loaner (can't take it out of the state) or a rental (we need to tow the TT and go on dirt roads for the Colorado Rally trip next week, that's not usually possible with rentals).
    The first response to my asking if they could just put the old part back on until the new one arrives was that that probably wouldn't work, since the problem seemed to be increasing and taking that "cap" off the engine might have made it worse. We thought it was just one little part, it seems to be a whole section of the top of the motor -say about 8" by 15".
    I picked my husband up from work so the two of us could retrieve some things up from the truck, planning on using the 4Runner for next week's trip. We can tow with it, the truck does much better, but at least it would be possible. We also figured it would be better with two of us asking questions and hearing answers.
    We just could not understand why this part is not available anywhere. The explanation (take it for what you will) is that because the truck is so new (2015, put into service in Nov. 2014), that part is not on hand anywhere. It has to be made at the factory - and part of the assembly is made by hand. They apparently can't/won't just take it off a new vehicle. The claim is that no one at this dealership (which is a large one), at the regional level, and so on, has seen this part fail.
    After much hemming and hawing, they finally decided that yes, they could reassemble it and send us on our way with extra oil. The truck runs fine, never acts or sounds like a vehicle low on oil, and towing the trailer to Colorado and heading out on back roads is supposedly not a problem, as long as we keep tabs on the oil. Still no explanation as to where it disappears to.
    Now that we have the detailing odor dissipated (and have the service dept. on notice to never, ever add scent again) and have my seat support issues solved, I was really enjoying the truck - drives well, tows well, has a few idiosyncrasies, but all vehicles have them. (e.g. who mandated a notice that pops up on the "infotainment" screen, saying - looking at this screen for too long may cause an accident? & who invented the terms infotainment, plus it is not a dashboard, it is a "driver information center" - never mind that the indicators for headlight and 4WD status are elsewhere)

Rant over

15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Got to change my rear brake shoes on day 3 of my 23 day camping road trip. Then drove a total of 6,300 miles touring the US!!

16. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Finally added some Airlift 1000 bags to the rear suspension. It took a little over an hour, and I think will be well worth it. I will find out on the 8 hour trip to the Maine rally next week.

17. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Bought a new one!

[​IMG]

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Had the brake fluid flushed, transmission fluid flushed, coolant flushed, oil change, new air filter and had the PVC valve replaced.

We took it for a nice long drive to Cabella's in Hamburg, PA to make sure everything was just fine [;)]

TV is ready for our trip to Acadia next month!

19. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Congrats on your upcoming trip.. I wanna go there someday. Please take some pics.

Best wishes for a safe trip.... Karl

20. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

We love ACADIA and we tent camped there years ago, DW and myself, pre children. Kinda...it was really, our honeymoon :)
    Beautiful!! Simply Amazing and offers every bit of wild you could desire!!! Mountains, ocean, hiking, biking, paddling, sight seeing, village and town, historical significance to the area and of course the entire 100 year National Parks Celebration!!!

Jumpoff you have it right!
    Acadia is one of the National Parks that is a must, a pilgrimage if you will, should be taken by all that enjoy the wild!!

Enjoy Acadia!!!!!! Awesome!!