What do/did you folks do as your profession?

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by ridenred333, May 15, 2013.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

The 1000th reply!! Whoop whoop!!!(dang, missed it by 1!)
    And I'm a Firefighter/paramedic and clinical coordinator for a Mobile integrated health program when I'm not being "Dad"!!

Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  2. TxBullDude

TxBullDude New Member

I just retired after 20 years at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. I was in the IT department. Desktop and printer support. Main job was to order all the replacement parts that other techs needed. That and pissing off as many coworkers as I could each day. I was good at my job.
    Also spent 9.5 years as a cnc machinist. We did work for Levi Strauss, Texas Instruments, Boing, places like that. Did high precision, close tolerance parts. That is where I got my start in computers. It's been a long long time ago.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I started out after school as a QC inspector on Nuclear Power plants. Did that for 14 years moving into QA in Operations. This included 2 years working on the Koeberg nuclear power station in Capetown, Republic of SA. Left Nuclear power to go to work in the similar business with US DOE, stayed at the Savannah River site for over 17 years, retired there then went over to DOD for and another overseas assignment in the Biological Weapons Reduction program in the Former Soviet Unions states, still in QA. Came back to the the US after 5 years of that for another 3 year stint with DOE in Wash. state. Moved from there into Liquid Natural Gas plants, working in Indonesia on the Curtis Island Project in Australia, (the worlds largest). Then back to the FSU for two more years on the Caucus Pipeline Expansion project between Azerbaijan and Turkey, then back to the CONUS with DOE for three more years before retiring again. Now I work 5 miles from my small house in Knoxville TN for a medium sized tech firm that does work for DOE and other commercial customers. I am still in QA. My working career has taken me to the Eastern, Southern and Western US, both Western & Eastern Europe, into Georgia, Turkey, and the Caucuses, 2 of the Stans in central Asia, South East Asia, Singapore, China & Japan, including Egypt, South Africa and some of the East/West Africa countries too. Its been a great ride. But my wife doesn't understand why I just want to stay home now.

Lebowski16, Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Popuppaydos

Popuppaydos New Member

I own a wildlife management company

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Remind me not to scew with you. Lol.

6. Sjm9911

Where abouts?

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm in the NW corner of Arkansas, Home of Walmart, Tyson, George's and JB Hunt.

8. Sjm9911

Ok cool , im a firefighter in nj. Home of ....well not walmart!

bheff and HappyTraveler like this.
  9. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I’ll chime in... I’m basically a cartographer (map-maker), but technically a GIS professional. DH has been mostly in marketing and some sales... some electronics and a hell of a guitar/amp tech (retired from all that but working a bit on the side).

10. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

My hubby owns a residential painting business and I am currently unable to work due to genetic & hormonal chronic migraines.

11. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

That is so cool! We love maps (I'm teaching my kids to read paper maps as well as GPS).

kitphantom and KeatesCamping like this.
  12. Gale Bray

Gale Bray New Member

A medical assistant, hospital coder, teacher's assistant, home health care professional, farrier, finish carpenter, and now a graduate student working towards a Masters in Counseling. All of the above supported the most important job....a mom to two fantastic sons.

13. dharget

dharget New Member

I'm a journeyman electrician doing commercial and industrial work.

14. Cgribbits

Cgribbits New Member

I'm a zookeeper - mainly primates but I also work with elephants, rhinos, bears and seals. My hubby is a logistics dispatcher.

Lebowski16 likes this.
  15. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

Former Veterinary Technician. Currently a buyer for a green energy/water conservation company.

16. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Wow, that was 6 years ago. I just walked away from that dying career so I could move to Virginia and support my wife in growing her career. So I guess I am now a stay at home Hubby for the time being till we finish getting "settled", then will likely become a part time something or other till I decide what I want to do when I grow up.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Enjoy it!

RockyRoo likes this.
  18. SteveWD

SteveWD New Member

Good morning, all. I was a police officer for just under 28 years. 24 of those were in the town I grew up in. I retired at 48 yrs old and began a move to the I.T. field. After a couple of part time I.T. jobs, I worked as one of a two man I.T. dept with a medium sized engineering company. I worked for the engineering company for 16 years, and retired Feb 1st of this year. I have adapted to retirement a lot easier than I thought I would. Great to read everyone's post in this thread. A diverse group.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  19. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

I am a automotive mechanic.

soft 17 and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. Mike J

Mike J New Member

I run a radiation effects testing facility for spacecraft parts at a particle accelerator. I take vacation around the conferences I attend and camp my way to them as much as possible!