What do I Need to Bring this Baby Home

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Nani2, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

If all goes well we will be bringing our first popup home this week.
    I feel that overwhelming fear of forgetting essential things to take when we pick up or have here when we bring it home. Kind of like packing to go to the hospital for baby one.
    We hope to store in garage but might keep on parking pad next to side entry garage.
    I'm on the Walmart site and have several things in my cart which will be available for store pickup in a couple days.
    What all do I need?
    Also suggestions for the first trip would be good.
    I wish there was a sticky for this. I searched all the way back to 2016 and didn't find anything.

2. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

What model did you settle on? Looking for something to tow with my Toyota Highlander. I guess I am confused what I would need vs want? I need to visit some dealers to look at the options they have I guess. I also wonder what the typical campground has for amenities around Oklahoma. Maybe I don't need a shower or toilet?

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

All you need to bring it home is a tow vehicle with a trailer hitch and connections for lights. Though if your not hauling it far and during the day you could probably get by without lights to bring it home.

After that do a couple nights in the drive way to see what you need.

The last thing you want to do IMO is go buy a bunch of stuff you think you need only to realize later that it gets little or no use and ends up taking up space in the garage or basement. Ask me how I know...

erond, Rik Peery and myride like this.
  4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

X2^^^

5. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

It's been a busy weekend. We made offer on a Highlander yesterday and they were way low on our trade. We got on internet and found one we liked better at another dealer. We got email before we were out of bed this morning offering $1500 more and a text and two calls of "what can we do to get the sale" after we said we weren't interested in that offer. I'm hoping to buy the other one tomorrow. Our popup dropped $1000 in price today and we emailed that we wanted and will sign papers tomorrow. It is a Flagstaff 228D--the camper we always wanted but at 2550 lbs did not consider towing with my Sienna.
    I am one thankful happy girl but wow I feel like I did before I brought first baby home.
    I'm mixed on the toilet. My thought is I would rather have features and not use than wish I had and trade soon to get something. We are near Great Smoky Mtn NP and don't camp there because they don't have showers. I might or might not have showered three times some days camping......

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    myride likes this.
  6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Don't I need chocks in my garage? And the plywood if we do camp driveway? Maybe a locking chock/boot if we park outside?

7. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

I paid $33,000 for a 2018 Highlander XLE. Leather and Captains seats were the only addons. I didn't know if that was helpful. It was $40,400 MSRP so about $7,000 off.

8. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

That's amazing. The ones we're looking at stickered in the low 40s are about $5000 off, some not even that. We live in a town with one Toyota dealer and a few others within a half hour drive. I got a really good deal like that on my Sienna late September last year, but that dealer doesn't have any Highlanders we like.

9. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

They have plenty in Oklahoma and great prices. Hudiburg Toyota. Not that far of a drive lol. If you were serious my salesman will hook you up.

10. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Welcome! We are on the other side of the mountains from you! You've come to the right place for help here. I'm still getting help after 14 yrs!
    You will need a way to level and chock. Some folks use the BAL leveler. I use Lynx levelers. There are several options. That should be first on your list. A good camping rug is a must have. I consider a screen room a must have here in the south. But I also agree camp driveway will help you start a good list.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the purchase. as stated you do need the proper equipment to tow it home safely.
    Take your time before you rush out and start buying things. Think it over first you can overload the unit and spend a lot of money just to haul items around that you will never use. You do need chocks, a water hose for drinking water, electrical adapters, water pressure regulator this will get you started. As suggested do a camp driveway a couple of times to see what else you might need. Good Luck and happy camping

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I ordered the Lynx levelers and some chocks and a few other things. We do have beautiful mountains here I can't wait to explore with our new camper. We usually go to Florida and there is so much more I want to see.

13. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Thank you. I think some of those things are in the starter kit from the dealer.

14. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We actually went to a dealer in Atlanta yesterday on our way to Stone Mountain. I HOPE I don't have to drive back there tomorrow to get their Highlander. OK is too far for us but thank you.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The water pressure regulator is not usually included, most of the items you will need to buy are cheaper at wally world, the dealers are usually a lot more expensive. Most dealers now give cash
    or a debit card so you can get what you want. on cheap item is hose washers as they go bad or missing at the worst time. Good luck and happy Camping

16. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Shoot for $7,000 off. I believe the prices are on the Oklahoma dealer's website. Maybe use that as leverage.

17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

The plywood?

18. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I thought you had to put plywood under the stabilizers to not damage the concrete. The campground near us requires it.

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You will need something under the stabs while parked on Pavement when it's hot so they dont melt into it.

kcsa75 likes this.
  20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

You may need a brake controller depending on state regs. In Pennsylvania it’s 1500 pounds and requires annual inspection. Some pups have surge brakes but majority now come with electric brakes standard.

Sotovoce likes this.