What do I use the battery for?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by laualau, Jun 11, 2015.

1. laualau

laualau New Member

So I just bought a PUP. My dad really wants me to get a battery so that I could have working lights. I don't think the battery is a good idea for the fridge, as I think this will drain the battery extremely quick. When I hook up the battery, is it just the lights that I'll be gaining?

2. MetalGrand

MetalGrand New Member

You can use your lights, 12v roof fan, or your water pump if you plan on using the sink at all.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I think a battery is a great idea. And you are right that it will be killed really quick if you run your fridge on it. Most camper fridges are three way battery, shore power or propane. I like having a battery since it lets you camp at sites without hookups and have the amenities of the camper; lights, heat, water pump. But I never run my fridge on battery. When camping at a site without hookups it is always on propane. Actually my fridge stays colder on propane and I use that even on sites with hookups. It usually takes a few hours to get cold. I try and turn mine on the night before I plan on filling it.

4. laualau

laualau New Member

Okay so lights, heat, water pump. I will not need heat. So the water pump... There is a storage for water, there is a hook up for water, then there is the drain, right? If I do not put a hose on the drain, will it just come pouring out of the side of my RV?

5. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

You need to capture the "grey" water from the drain and dispose of it properly.

If your pup has brakes and a break away switch, you need the battery so the brakes engage if the pup separates from your TV while on the road.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It would be helpful to know what pup you have. You can add that info to your signature line, through the forum profile page.

A battery does power the breakaway brakes. If you have a furnace and lights, it will power them while dry camping (with no hook-ups). Same with water pump. If you dry camp for long, you need a way to recharger the battery.

Read through the various areas here on the Portal to find more information about proper gray water disposal, means of charging batteries, etc.

BTW, welcome and congrats on the pup.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The battery powers your lights, roof vent fan, water pump, furnace fan (if so equipped), power winch (if so equipped) and 12v accessories.

Worth having IMHO, but you can squeak by without one if you only ever camp in serviced sites where you can plug into shore power.

You're right though, it only takes a couple of hours for a fridge to drain a battery since12v mode is the least efficient.

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Do you need a battery? Nope. Especially if you are only camping where you have power. That said a battery is really nice to have. When you are getting in and out at home or loading up when power isn't available the battery is there for lights or winterizing the water system. It's only a couple hundred bucks so well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

If you have electric brakes then you NEED a battery to operate the emergency breakaway brake switch. If you want your overhead lights to work when you are camping without shore power then you need a battery also if you are not connected to shore power.

10. laualau

laualau New Member

I'm am very new to this brakes on the RV thing. I need a battery for it? My car only has the 4 flat connector. My RV has the 7 round. I bought an adapter to switch the 7 round to a 4 flat. If I hook up this adapter, my brakes on the RV won't work, right?

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Correct

12. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

The Sun Ridge appears to have Standard Brakes, so you would like to have a battery and upgrade your tow vehicle to have a brake controller.

A battery for brakes does not have to be large enough to power the camper. It just is a standard to have a battery for the camper if you are going to have one, but there are some folks who never stay without hookups and they only have a little motorcycle type battery for their brakes.

If you do get a battery, the Coleman's are prewired for a battery on the tongue and hopefully the previous owner left you the battery harness.

13. laualau

laualau New Member

Okay, so once I buy a battery and hook it up to the wires in the battery box, then it will automatically be hooked up to the electric brakes? Then all I have to worry about is wiring it into my car.

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If you're interested, this thread shows how to install trailer brakes, adjust them, convert the 4 pin flat plug to a 7 pin round plug and install a brake controller with links to tons of helpful videos. It'll answer a lot of questions in short order.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=87374

15. capy235co

capy235co Member

NO just adding a battery does not give you brakes. You also need to install a brake controller and add the 7 pin connector to your Tow Vehicle. This is the right way and as Holmes says Do It Right.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If you decide to go with the battery, which is a good idea you will probably need a battery box to sit it in too.
    You need someone who knows how to help you install the 7 way plug and the controller (and adjust the controller) on your tow vehicle so the brakes will work and work properly.

17. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

(In case no one has mentioned) The battery you need is called Deep Cycle Marine/RV battery. To do it right the 1st time, get a group 27 battery (check Walmart). Costs not much more than a group 24, but gives your more amp hours. You can get a box from Amazon. To go fancy, consider two 6-v golf cart batteries in series. Costs much more. Good to think about it later. I would take care your 7-pin wiring with brake controller for your towing vehicle first - top priority
    Your grey water is draining out by gravity. There are fancy ways to set up the drain pipe and hoses. I like simplicity of mine. I use Aquatainer from Amazon. Added a drain vent (parts from Home Depot)
    [​IMG]

I retired my Barker grey water blue tote. Dragging that thing behind my TV to the dump station is like circus going through town, everybody (including the ones I just woke up) was watching. With Aquatainer, I just cap it, put it in my TV and drive away.

When you have time, check the list I compiled in this thread (contributed by forum members)
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=90716.msg903227#msg903227]http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=90716.msg903227#msg903227

18. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member