What do u do with your bunk bars,rods and pup saftey bars when in tow?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Freedom72, May 19, 2010.

1. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I just bought my first pop up and was wondering where do you store the bunk bars,tent rods and safety bars when towing?

The guys at the RV store just tossed everything in the middle of the floor when they showed me how to break down the pup

I'm just worried about damaging the nice new vinyl floor

Thanks for any storage ideas for these items

2. candleems

candleems Member

They should be stored under your bunk foam. They won't roll all over or poke your vinyl (top or bottom). Do be careful when stowing them so you don't poke them through the mattress fabric.

The support posts should actually be stowed on the bunk end that you pull on to pull the bunk out. Then they are handy to get and you don't let the bunk hang out while fishing for the poles inside.

3. KSKids

KSKids New Member

We store ours under the mattresses....easy, simple, not in the way anywhere else...

4. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot New Member

Same here. I am extra careful putting in or taking them out from under there because of the chance of ripping the mattress.

5. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

I put them under the table with all the other stuf and anywere I can after I fold the sink down :)

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Heh - I toss 'em in the middle of the floor. I figure our vinyl is so ugly, nobody's gonna notice a new dent. When I get the new flooring put in, we'll store them under the rear bunk mattress.

7. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

You take those off and store them? No wonder people have been looking at me weird going down the road. All jesting aside, Jayco has a way to store them under the mattress.

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I have velcro straps that I use to keep them in small bundles, which I store between the dinette cushions and the bottom of the bunk end when it slides in. Keeps them together and off the floor.

9. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

The bunk end supports are stored in place, newer colmans are attached under the bunk ends and piviot up/down to move and for the canvas supports I lay them on top of the bunks from the inside for easy access when poping up.

10. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Like most people said under the bunk mattress for whatever end they go on.

11. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I also store mine under the mattress. Never had any problem and they are there when I go to set up.

12. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Under the mattress, except last time we went out. I thought it would be a good idea to store just one of them in the grass in the front yard. We improvised at the campsite, and I found it when I got home.

13. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

We store the supports for the bunks under the mattress, the awning poles go in the awning bag.

14. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I also store them under the mattress. I have 6 bunk supports (4 front, 2 back). I keep all 6 under the front mattress since they're all the same size. I pull both bunks out then install the supports. With everything else that I keep inside the PUP, it would be a serious PITA to fish out the support poles. The only thing I keep under the rear bunk is the shepherd's pole since the front and back are different lenths.

My brother affixed a 4" PVC pipe to his front bumper and kept his poles in there. That worked out well untill the weekenc when he forgot to check that the cap (street side) was tightened. He lost all of them on an off-ramp. We had a good laugh at his expense. He didn't find it so funny.

15. bachstrad

bachstrad New Member

I put the shepherd's poles under the mattresses and the bunk supports and awning poles in the front storage box.