What do you do for kitchen knife storage?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ArgentCorvid, May 24, 2018.

1. ArgentCorvid

ArgentCorvid New Member

How do you guys store your sharp kitchen knives?

I've got a collection of random unmatched knives that were acquired through the years that a few of would be great to take along in the camper. What kind of kid-safe(ish) storage solutions do you guys use?

2. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

I just got a set of knives that came with sheaves, similar to these:
    [​IMG]
    You could probably store them in a drawer with a baby lock on it if you needed to keep them away from the kiddos. Before this set, when I had random knives like you're describing, I just made sleeves out of thin cardboard, like cereal boxes.

HappyCampin'Family likes this.
  3. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Keep our 13 dollar knife block w scissors from Amazon in our kitchen, then set on counter when popped up

4. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

You can buy knife sheaths at most gourmet type kitchen stores. They have various sizes.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use what the above poster uses. Now my grandmother made her own knife sleeves by cutting up a thin cardboard box and contact paper folded around the blade.

MaeKay and jbirdt2001@yahoo.com like this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I made a sheath for each of my sharp kitchen knives and keep them in the slide out bin under the stove along with most of the other kitchen utensils.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For a lot of years, we just kept them in the "kitchen box" in sheaths. No kiddos to worry about.
    We were storing them in the drawers in sheaths, until we realized they were among the items that would hop over the side of the drawer. Removing the bottom drawer to retrieve things got old. We bought one of the knife"blocks" that has nylon or polyester rods in it, so any knife fits. I found a small one for the camper, it rides in the cupboard (things are pretty jammed in so it doesn't shift) and fits on the tiny bit of counter space we have behind the sink and stove. They make all sizes, I found them when we had to replace the blocks at home (funny, after 20-25 years they were wearing out!) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCR2UTA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Mine just float in a compartment of my flatware drawer. It's probably not ideal for keeping a good edge. I think I have a big cleaver at the bottom of my dish towel drawer. My drawers are pretty tiny.

Am I not being safe? :)

Orchid and PointyCamper like this.
  9. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Underneath the bench seating by the back bunk is a larger drawer where I keep a standard silverware tray, pots and pans, and miscellaneous kitchen utensils. The knives float around that drawer. The one nice one has its original sheath. I never have kids in my camper, but it wouldn't take much effort to child-proof the drawer if I did.

10. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

This is what we did also using a cereal box type heavy paper cut to length wrap around twice and duct tape stays snug & protected

11. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Wife wraps the ginzu knife in tin foil - don't think it's gonna stop that thing!

12. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I stick mine in the pocket of a pot holder. Sometimes it stays in there, sometimes it sits in the utensil tray. I have little kids but it never occurred to them to get into that drawer. It’s funny the things that each child needs babyproofed or not. My kids get into plenty (oy!) but not that drawer.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I do the same thing. No covers, just in with the silverware, same as home. Grandchildren know they aren't allowed to play with knives.

Not really sure any kid would have a chance to get into anything unnoticed in a pop up. Too small of a space. If they are too young to know better, they shouldn't be in there alone anyway.

14. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

True, but kids are fast. I take my 3 and 5 year old camping alone by myself and while they actually get into fewer things while camping, there are times when I’m dealing with one, the other has gotten into something. Even the best of parents can’t keep track of their kids 100% of the time. (At home we have locks on pantry and office doors because my son wakes up before me and is silent but needs to be able to use the bathroom...luckily they do know not to get into the knives. Scissors is another story...he’s cut his hair a few times)

15. Orchid

Even so, a kid can take a sheath off just as quick as they can get into them. I would just put a child lock on the drawer if I camped alone with littles.

Not sure if you had a previous answer or not. Will have to check. Was just surprised at the amonut of sheath comments.

Also, the pretty colored knives look way too much like toys for my comfort. My knives all look like traditional knives.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

17. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Yeah, my thoughts were the same. If a child doesn’t know to stay away from knives installing a lock would be ideal. Sheaths are good so you don’t hit the edge while rummaging around in a drawer but not good to keep kids away.

(Sorry for my bristly comment...my kids are faster than me today and I feel judged for how busy they are. [XX(] )

Orchid likes this.
  18. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder if you could sew a pocket (or buy one) that loops around something up high where kids can’t reach.

I like the idea of using toilet paper rolls and tape for transport but up high is better for true child proofing.

19. Orchid

No problem. I honestly didn't take it that way at all. :smiley: it's true those are hard ages to keep up with, especially by one person!

MaeKay likes this.
  20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My drawer has a catch on it to prevent it from opening during travel--it would probably defeat smaller kids. Of course we also have an extra safety feature: our camper is so small you probably have to make someone move to get into the knife drawer. :)

Orchid likes this.