What do you do if it Rains?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by JaycoCamper, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, but in your first post you said that keeping an eye on the weather kind of takes some of the fun out of it. You wondered how we handled this situation and we told you: we don't worry about it and get wet if it rains.

2. Briorick

Briorick Member

If it rains after we have set up, not much we can do about it. But, just like the OP, we too watch the weather forecast and decide whether to weather the rain or not. If we can't camp a particular weekend, then we will look forward to another weekend. No big deal for us as we camp locally. In the past I have tent camped in the rain more than I care to have when younger with the family. Set up in the rain, tore down in the rain. Those days are over for the most part, but that's just me.
    We can't control Mother Nature, but I'm not going to butt heads with her either. [LOL]

3. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Stay dry........just sayin [;)]

4. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

We play Yahtzee or have some our time if ya know what I mean nug nug wink wink.

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Last night it helped me sleep like a baby......

6. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Me too!

It rained last night at the fall rally. So we crammed in a cabana awning and under the 10x20 canopy. All the rain really did was put out the campfire.

I slept really good last night!

7. bobber128

bobber128 Member

Buy yourself a couple of the cheap 3mil plastic painter's drop cloths. Then use them to wrap up the mattresses before tear down. Then, at least you don't have to worry about wet foam. Plus, they fold up pretty small. Open up as soon as you get home, and let everything air out real well. I am planning on getting a pair of the drop cloths, then heat seal three of the sides together to make a kind of pillow case for the mattress.

As for entertainment, we bring our laptop and some movies for the kids, but keep them hidden till it's urgent. Plus, we keep a few board games, cards, coloring books, and novels in the camper, just in case. Plus, we look up attractions nearby, in case things get REAL bad.

Wouldn't even be thinking about these things, but our last trip was four days of rainy days and freezing nights. We wound up driving an hour to Alpena, MI, and checked out a really cool shipwreck museum.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I've popped it up and run the heater for a day if it is really humid.

9. packofwises

packofwises New Member

The last time we took the pup out it came a torrential down pour. What did we do? We stood under the awning with a broom (to keep the water from pooling up and tearing it down), we giggled and laughed and had a blast! The sun came back out again and we dried up. It has rained the past couple of times we camped. Had a blast.

10. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We may leave a few hours early if I know rain is coming, but other than that we camp thru the rain. We have two easy ups we play games under.

11. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

When I had my pup, I always put a tarp over the pup, raised it up and anchored the tarp after opening up the pup...tarp was last to go down after packing up the pup...nothing got wet...we always ventilated when it rained to help keep the condensation down.

12. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

We went last weekend and stayed til mon. I knew it was going to rain on mon but wanted to see how it was in the NTU pup. Well I found the leaks I need to fix and it was incredibly boring being forced to stay inside from 9am to 2pm. Unless I wanted to sit under the awning. In the end if I know it's going to rain the entire trip then there is no way I will go. If I know it's just going to rain all day on the last day then I will pack up and leave early. If its just going to rain a few hours I will stick it out. We go camping a lot though usually 2-3 weekends a month so there will always be next weekend.

As for how I dealt with it. I packed up everything that was outside the night before. Just took my time and plenty of breaks. Put most of the stuff in the van that usually goes in the pup though since I didn't want to be crowded. Lowered my awning to one side and went to bed. That morning I thought about leaving before the rain started but didn't. Went and got a pizza for lunch watched an episode of survivor and was leaving the campground by 2. Luckily it was just drizzling as I was packing up so it wasn't bad. I flipped all my mattresses and cushions and didn't pop back up until yesterday. Everything seemed fine.

13. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Rain, snow, sun, wind, storms - we don't care. We'll camp in it, setup in it and tear down in it. I've done it with the tent for years, continue to do it with the PUP. Just as everyone else stated, just pop her up at home and let everything dry out. Actually, I don't even look at the weather. Took a trip in Aug, found out on day two we may have a serious storm - thunder, lightning, tons of rain and heavy gusts (We were boon docking). Didn't change our plans, we just kept on camping [:D] Turns out the storm blew around us, we just got a few drops of rain.

14. EbertBrandon

EbertBrandon New Member

The best thing we do and it also has many other benefits is get yourself painters tarps just the cheap plastic kind. and wrap your beds in the plastic and fold the extra underneath the mattress. throw a couple dryer sheets under the plastic. 1st it keeps your sheets smelling fresh and clean and second it keeps all the moisture off of the mattress and if you have to put your popup down in the rain it does not soak your mattresses. its the best thing i have ever done.

15. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

I agree with what the others have said.

Camping is no fun if you're always keeping an eye (or ear) open to what the weather situation MIGHT be. After all, isn't this supposed to be a relaxing, stress-free time?

And, to cancel a trip ahead of time because of what may happen, only to have it become a beautiful weekend is a big disappointment.

Yes, we have a radio, watch the clouds and check the notice boards at the camp host/shower/ranger station. But we only use that as a rough guide. Unless we're going to be in for 40 days/nights of rain, we'll tough it out and make the best of it. And this is based on our pre-PUP, tent camping days.

Of course there was a time or two when we left a day early, but that was due to to getting flooded out in our tents. With the PUP, we don't have those same concerns.

This past summer, our daughter and her family joined us for a weekend of camping - they use a tent. She's been through a couple of those 'flooded out' situations with us previously. And, since there was a threat of rain the final night, they preemptively packed everything up, but stayed the night with us in the PUP. We had to rearrange stuff to accommodate them and the 2 grandkids, but we made do, and everyone was happy.

Sure the weather or threat on the last day may influence when we pack up and leave, but, we make the best of it, open 'er up when we get home, and let it dry before we close up for the next trip.

WL