What do you do when encountering bad weather on the road?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by barrientosbunch, Mar 3, 2019.

1. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

We know that traveling in tornado alley brings the potential for encountering bad weather from thunderstorms to tornadoes. I know to get out of the TV in the case of a tornado warning, but what if we are on the road and run into a thunderstorm? Can you stop and sleep at a rest area? Texas has safety rest areas. Anyone know about stopping and sleeping at these?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

In bad weather it would be best to pull into a safe area until the storm passes. Of course if this is going to be a long term stop like over night, you're not going to be able to open up the camper, so get comfortable in the TV.

Yes, storms can come up fast be keeping an eye on the weather radar is a must when on the road. As the Scouts say, "Be Prepared". Always a good idea to have access to food, water, and blankets in the TV.

3. p

p Active Member

A couple years in Revelstoke, BC a bad storm came through and cut the power to the enire town. Not a problem when you go to the campsite and have your own power supply via battery for the trailer.

barrientosbunch likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

We've hit some blinding rain squalls but they don't usually last too long. Turn on the flashers, pull off the road and wait it out. We did drive into an ice storm on the way to Big Bend Ranch State Park a couple of years ago. Stopped and got a motel room in Sonora for that night.

Texas used to allow overnight camping in rest areas. Supposedly they don't any more but no ones going to question you if you're obviously waiting out bad weather.

The interstates have "parking areas" with no facilities. A lot of truckers sleep in those, just don't take up more space than you really need.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve delayed trips by a day if I knew the route there would be too dangerous to drive. I had a trip planned for TN once but the day of my trip a hurricane was working its way inland and heading north. So to say I delayed that trip until the storm moved further north. I’ve towed in the wind before and that was a white knuckle trip, so now I’m more cautious about the weather when I tow. Rest stops have been a godsend. I only once had to sleep in my car at a rest stop, but now rather find a motel to crash at for the night if I have to. Those rigs are Loud and there was always so much activity. Not to mention at least here, it is extremely difficult for big rig drivers to find a place where they can rest. It’s always so busy and full everywhere especially at night. They have to find places to park, but there are just so few places they can go. So that’s another reason I find an alternatate place to go. I don’t want to take one of the few places they are aloud to park Especially if there are other places I can.

6. Turfit

Turfit New Member

It is my understanding that the large "Safety Rest Area" along the interstates and other main highways allow overnight sleeping. Most of these are filled up with large trucks but they normally have areas for rvs and travel trailers. They include storm shelters, restroom, "enhance security", and play areas for the kids.

The small "Roadside Park" or "Picnic Area" on smaller roads do not allow overnight stay. They only offer a picnic table. But like SteveP mentioned, no one going to question you if you're obviously waiting out bad weather.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

In 2014 we were headed down to Branson, MO. In West Virginia (On Rt 81 south) we hit a really bad rain storm. In all the years of driving I never had to pull over due to rain. This storm I had no choice but to pull over to the shoulder. We were not near an exit or rest area so we pulled off on the shoulder. The rain lasted about 15 min and it was like driving thru a waterfall!! When it finally passed the shoulder was loaded with cars/trucks as far as we could see. That was on both the North and South bound lanes. I did not like being on the shoulder, but visibility was maybe 50 feet!!!