What do you do when you camp?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Ted S., Dec 26, 2011.

1. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Our camping has changed a bit in the last 2 years since DS was born. Before we did lots of hiking, rough trail biking, trying different methods of cooking, etc. Now we still hike, but shorter with DS in his backpack. We still bike, but less rough trail riding since DS is in his trailer. We still cook different ways, but have more quick eats on hand just in case it doesn't work out or takes too long. We have a GPS for geocaching, spend more time swimming, play a few campsite games and push trucks around, go sight-seeing in the area, camp with friends and family more. And spend time sitting around the fire in the evening (mostly after DS is asleep, but he'll join us as he gets older). Sometimes we use camping as the sleep cheap vacation, other times we are there for camping specifically.

2. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

Kayaking, hiking, biking, photography, birdwatching, sitting around the camp fire gazing at the stars and generally doing some of the things I only do when I camp.

3. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

we hike and geocache. Most state parks in Virginia have several geocaches throughout the parks so it combines our 3 favorite things. Camping, Hiking in nature and geocaching!

www.geocaching.com

4. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

in no particular order,

hiking, swimming, relxing on water, reading books, geocaching, painting, photography, canoeing.

when bad weather, reading and movies in trailer.

always do some day tris to see surrounding area.

5. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Last night, my 6-year-old son, Jon, slept in the camper with me in Camp Driveway. We played checkers, we played tic-tac-toe, we chatted about things. What a great break from the constant elecronic beeps since they got up Christmas morning. My son and I actually spent time alone and interacted. We do this at other times as well, but it always seems special in the PUP. (Especially since his older sisters stayed inside. Jon and I sometimes build a camp-driveway campfire in a Chiminea I have had for years.

Then there are the zillions of things the kids and I find to do when we actually really camp in a campground someplace.

6. Freebie5

Freebie5 Happy Camping

When we camp at our local state park, our children invite their friends to camp with us. We always have a pop up full of kiddos and it's so much fun. We make smores everynight and sit around the campfire telling jokes. Through the day we ride bicycles and kids play on playground. It's absolutely our most favorite thing in the world to do and it's such a special time for us. We always meet wonderful peopel! [:D]

7. RBeau1954

RBeau1954 New Member

I follow our Mountain bike race series and race mountain bikes. On other weekends, I will go to state parks and ride the mountain bike trails. Did I mention that I ride mountain bikes when I go camping. Furthest trip I am planning next year is a 450 mile trip to a race in Tennessee....

8. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

It looks like those with kids have a constant with the camp fire. So That at least is going on my list. Then it looks like biking is a favorite as well.

I think I will look for a good family campground in VT, NH or ME. Plan on staying in the CG, maybe a day trip for lunch or something. But I think I will try and find one with lots of activities right in the CG vs having to travel out.

9. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Pretty much sums it up here... [SUN]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

EAT!!!! [:)O]

Need I say more!!!!

11. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

That last pic is a winner, I will have to add EAT to the list.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most of our camping is park of a trip to hike, sight-see, etc. in an area. Occasionally we camp as a hotel substitute, such as on trips back east to visit family.
    We camp mostly at public campgrounds, such as Forest Service, or national and state parks. After a day of hike or sight-seeing, we relax in camp, reading and such, and also usually stroll the campground or close-by trails. On occasion, we attend one of the evening programs offered in a NP. In 20+ years of camping we have never had a campfire, it is just not an interest of ours.
    Cooking is not really a big activity while camping, we try to go simple but edible (for my picky tummy - the trip is more fun if I keep it happy).

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Canoe, eat, sleep, fish, playground, bike, or just sit around with a beer.

14. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

It depends on why we're camping to begin with. If we're "getting away from it all" in a park, we make use of the park's facilities or just relax around the pup. If we're camping instead of staying at a hotel, we usually have a day destination, like the beach or a racetrack. And we take the kids to a big campground at least once a year so they can swim in the pool and do all the activities there.

15. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

We hike and geocache. We hang around in camp and walk around the campground. While walking the campgrounds, we take notes of which sites are good and which to avoid next time we are there. We canoe or just relax and read. We play ladder golf and frizbee.

If camping with others, we socialize and eat, a lot.

We also use the campground as a base camp when seeing some sights.

16. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I was raised that camping was how you went fishing. The whole purpose for the camper was just to sleep in so you could get out on the lake as early as possible, and stay on the lake as late as possible. If the sun was up at all, you were on the lake. "Camping" wasn't much of a consideration at all. Over the years I've changed my mind on that. I do believe that "camping" is an activity of its own. We might fish, we might go walk around and see the sights, we might go do the tourist thing if we're in a place that's new to us, then again we might do none of the above and just spend some time together, relaxing. Camping is as much or as little as we decide to make it at any particular moment.

We do some events like highland games and my wife likes to attend state and county fairs and other events with her spinning and weaving guild. Sometimes we camp at those events rather than get a hotel room. It's much more convenient to run back to the tent or camper to grab something or put something away than it is to go all the way back to a hotel. And some of the gatherings in the RV camp at a highland games after the games close for the day are more fun than the games themselves.

Still, I do love to go fishing when we camp, and do it whenever it's possible.

[​IMG]

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Check out = ALL OF THE ABOVE. Be Safe, Be Kind, Have FUN. [8D]

18. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

We usually go to a local state park or cce take the boat and spend a few days camping, fishing ,riding around the lake, If we don't take the boat we hike ride bikes or just hang around, Its just DW and I but when we camp the family always comes and we cook, sit around talk DS has three kids so we play on the play ground roast marshmellows , smores, wieners and allways end up with littleovernight guest, Thanksgiving we had 5 kids stay, Then if we go out of town we use it as a hotel and do regular tourist stuff [:D]

19. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I think the most important thing with family camping is just to enjoy the quality time with you children. Involve them in every aspect of the experience, from set up to cooking to tear down and everything in between. Spend time enjoying some of their interests whether it be bike riding or playing board games or yard games or whatever. Also introduce them to whatever it is that you are interested in doing, if they have never had the chance before. You never know what kids will like until they try.

As for what we (dd and I) do, we enjoy hiking, fishing, playing outdoor games, campfires, cooking, and since she is a basketball nut we always have a couple with us whether or not there will be a hoop around. We almost always take gloves and a ball to play catch also.

20. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Ted - for us it is definitely being together with our kids, giving them experiences and spending our time being 'with' them. A lot of our camping trips are centered around my husband's hobby of off roading his Jeep. The rest are just the family together hiking, swimming, biking, sitting by the fire, cooking and eating. We try to explore the local area - there is always something cool to see and experience. We have also done a few geo cache hunts and the boys really have enjoyed what they call treasure hunting!