We have been making similar using the cardboard/paper egg cartons. sawdust, and whatever scraps of candle we have left over after burning. I've read of people having good luck using dryer lint as a substitute for the sawdust be we have not saved up a quantity of that to experiment with. Have seen and used the store bought fire starters before, but the home-made versions have been equally effective for us so far. And have yet to have any issue with wet ground in the fire pit, after extinguishing with a pan of water. Dry wood the next morning will light up just fine.