What do you do with dishwater?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Daisy on my toe, Sep 4, 2017.

1. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

We have been making similar using the cardboard/paper egg cartons. sawdust, and whatever scraps of candle we have left over after burning. I've read of people having good luck using dryer lint as a substitute for the sawdust be we have not saved up a quantity of that to experiment with. Have seen and used the store bought fire starters before, but the home-made versions have been equally effective for us so far.

And have yet to have any issue with wet ground in the fire pit, after extinguishing with a pan of water. Dry wood the next morning will light up just fine.

Sjm9911 and jnc like this.
  2. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

When backcountry backpacking, I use cotton balls presoaked with heated up petroleum jelly for a fire starter.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Good question. A LOT of the sites I have camped at have a drain just at the water post, but outside of Texas that is kind of rare.

Now assuming you don't have a gray tank, and are using the onboard sink, route your drain via a piece of hose to a water carrier. IF possible to fit it and keep the gravity working for you, use the 7 gallon aqua tainer as they have been the eastiest, at least for me, to move...

Once full, or to the point you want to empty it, take to a dump station, or anywhere with a gray drain like a bathroom sink, and empty it out.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

In California lots of private campgrounds do have sewer, so do some county campgrounds.

5. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

I live in AZ and grey water is kind of an interesting subject. There is a pun here but I'll skip over for the sake of humility. Basically you can dump soapy water in national parks without issue but any water with food particles is considered hazardous and cannot be dumped. State parks have their own rules so you'll need to check to see how they treat it.

In AZ state parks I've gone to, they provide a basin for you to bring your own dishes to wash there (located near restrooms/showers). Most people with PUPs use the 6 gallon blue reliance tubs. Cheap, easy, portable and you simply bring to the area and dump right in the sink.

When boon-docking in national parks/forests we make sure to wipe down all dishes and silverware before washing so we can drain our "soapy" water. Not only that, but you'll only get food stuck in your PUP trailer trap one time before you lose your mind and say never again. Talk about a pain to clean out...

Dumping water while camping is one of the most heated subjects with opinions on either side. Before I do anything I always think about what the next guy would think if they saw me or camped at my spot after I left. If I have to think about it too much it's probably not the best idea.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I have camped in Arizona, but I recall the setup you detail in use there. There were camps / parks set up the way I explained with a gray drain right at the post that you were supposed to use...

Not to pick nits, and I may be wrong on what you are saying, the Reliance Aquatainer (the cube looking one, not the Jerry Can looking one) comes in either a 4 gallon model,
    [​IMG]

or a 7 gallon model

[​IMG]

These are the ones I use for extra freshwater.

For gray water, I use the collapsible ones. None of them are of exceptional quality, but they do the job well enough, and can be recycled once they start to leak and get replaced.

[​IMG]

I started doing this when I was group camping and the dishwashing went beyond one pot and a mug. I had (still have) one of those behemoth Cabelas Camping Kitchen. It has a built in sink with a drain, a simple plastic hose connects that drain to the input of these carriers, voila gray tank!

7. Halford

3 ways to clean off the dishes before washing them:
    1. use napkins to wipe off tiny bit of food
    2. Lick off the plates yourself.
    3. Let your dog lick plates clean.

xxxapache likes this.
  8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

#3 is a standard whether home or camping

Sacramento Pop Up and Halford like this.
  9. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Off grid shower with biodegradable soap right onto ground. Sink waste 150 feet from campsite, trail, and water source. State parks collect and do all of the above into tank and dump at dump stations. State parks in PA have restaraunt grade stainless steel sinks outside of comfort stations or inside the only comfort station open year round.

10. BedHead

BedHead Member

If there’s a designated grey water disposal place we use that. If not, and there are pit toilets we use those for dishwater. If not, and we will be building a fire soon, we use the fire pit. Last resort is to strain food particles out and dump somewhere in the bush where it will drain/dry quickly.

11. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

I'm in Australia, anywhere that doesn't supply a drain for our greywater hose it's just been acceptable to direct the hose towards the nearest bush or tree. I think there may be different requirements in places like national parks though - we haven't been anywhere like that yet. It would be mentioned in the booking conditions so that you can be prepared. But we've had a lot of drought here so it does kind of help keep the plants and grass growing.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Pebbles does the job for me, I don't even have to waste water washing them :)

Halford likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

That's what I did at first but dumping on the ground very near the camp site sure did get to smelling pretty good... I now go back away from any camping spots to dump the gray water directly on the ground...

I have actually seen some places have posted signs where to dump locally around trees - bushes etc... Any water sometimes help the plants and trees I reckon...

I like reading older posts hehe - make sure I am spreading somewhat the same story line that works for me...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

What a great topic! I had never thought of where the water goes. Thanks from a greenhorn pup camper!

15. Halford

yea water goes down but where do the cleaning chemicals go? in wells, underground cisterns as well.

16. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have mentioned before and will mention again, Camp Suds or other similar biodegradeable cleaners are the way to go. And it all depends on what you are cleaning... Of course if you are capturing your gray / dishwater, you are good to go with using regular dish soap. Sort of... The stuff still needs to get stripped out of the water before it gets returned to a natural body of water...

For example, we carry with us a Weber Smokey Joe mini BBQ kettle, and the grate gets disgusting after just one cook. We use one of those coil type scrubber brushes, and an onion to get the gunk off of the warm kettle grate. The stuff that lines the inside of the kettle is allowed to build up until it starts to bubble, when we give it a good scrub at it good and warm and hit it with a nylon scrubber and HOT water. We have used Dawn dish soap on the inside of the kettle but ONLY at home where the water gets captured and processed by our sanitary system.

18. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We use paper plates when camping, but for the times I use a skillet or other utensil that needs to be cleaned, I use a water hose to clean the items in the grass at the rear of the camper. We always camp in state parks which are usually surrounded by woods.

19. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Just a thought.....
    In towns and cities in my area, water treatment plants, draw water in from a river or creek. They are upstream from the sewage treatment plant which is on a river or stream that dumps water out.
    However there is usually another town with the same setup downstream from that. Then another from that, and on and on.
    How many sewage treatment plants have discharged into the water by the time it makes it to water treatment plants in cities on big rivers? Cincinnati, Memphis, New Orleans, etc....

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Per the Navy Nukies I have worked with, "Dilution is the solution". Goes for most liquid waste.