What do you guys use for grills?

jm88

Feb 12, 2017
What grills better between the Roadtrip and the Weber? And what do you use to grill on the camp chef?

Even though my grill is about 10 years old, it doesn't have much use. It is very clean, but the burners do have some grease or something on them, so grease must have dripped through the grates, under the solid part, and onto them. I will blow them out and see what happens, even though the flame looks ok. I agree about the inside cooking. I just move the stove top and hook it on the outside of the camper when I get there and put the plain board inside to make more counter space.

I don't know if they are all like this, but my Roadtrip has the pan inside to put water in and it does make for easy cleanup. i just dump the water out when I am done and wipe it with paper towels. I leave it set up for the few days we are there and clean it out on the last day.

I use a camp chef weekender, Weber q1200, Coleman Road Trip and a Coleman Eventemp stove. All but the Eventemp have been adapted to run off the low pressure quick connect on the camper. I also use a tee with extension lines off the tank for high pressure stuff.

I got rid of the inside stove to reclaim counter space.

Try blowing out your burners. They may be clogged a little. If you did a lot of grilling they may also be clogged with food bits.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
I too have the COLEMAN ROADTRIP.... I like it as it has several different grills I can use and also has the water reservior to make cleaning a snap. Everything stows away including extra cooking grills in a great tote with wheels and has worked great for us since getting it in 2008...

I don't think it seals off as good as the Websters with its pull down cover lid when cooking but no complaints here cooking up great meat meals ... Has dual burners and you can cook eggs and other quick meals on one side and longer high settings on the other side...

Comes with a nice sturdy setup legs and all...

MuJLsqS.jpg

Google image

This runs off the 1LB Propane Canister and I like having this as this is what my back-up heater uses with my MR BUDDY portable heater... Always have 1LB Propane canisters around...

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I use an O-Grill similar to the one pictured. It'll cook four or five ribeyes and about 8 hamburgers. They are kind of pricey to buy new ($200 at LL Bean) but we got ours from a neighbor who was no longer using it for $25.

295471_316_41.jpg

295471_0_44.jpg
The best part about it IMO is the bag. I can close it up, put it and a propane canister in the bag and don't have to worry about grill stuff getting all over everything.

864118p.jpg

About once a year, I take the stainless steel burner out and throw it in a bucket of water with Dawn dishsoap for a couple hours. Then get a toothpick and poke every hole to unclog them.

The grill has a hole in the bottom and a little tray you can see in the photos to catch all the drippings. The tray is very easy to clean. Or if your if you're like me, after about three years of use you will figure out that you can wrap the tray with foil and make the clean up a whole bunch easier. [;)] [:)C]

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Been using Coleman 2 burners converted to propane for years, propane can be difficult in low temps and winter camping. My last two burner is an older dual fuel model..

Carry a small single burner GAZ from my backpacking days, makes coffee in small stainless percolator a quick ordeal.

Also if camping not too far from home i'll carry the cast iron, spit/tripod, Dutch oven etc. Have also used small propane grills but I hate to carry them home if uncleaned thoroughly.

Lately.. i'v been searching for a small propane smoker. I'd love to find one i can carry in a hitch basket or platform on tongue.

hq308

Jan 30, 2018
Sydney Australia
I just purchased a Weber baby q (Q1200), haven't used it camping yet but did a few trial runs at home over the weekend and I'm very happy with it. They have a lot of well thought out accessories available to go with it too.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
What grills better between the Roadtrip and the Weber? And what do you use to grill on the camp chef?

Even though my grill is about 10 years old, it doesn't have much use. It is very clean, but the burners do have some grease or something on them, so grease must have dripped through the grates, under the solid part, and onto them. I will blow them out and see what happens, even though the flame looks ok. I agree about the inside cooking. I just move the stove top and hook it on the outside of the camper when I get there and put the plain board inside to make more counter space.

I don't know if they are all like this, but my Roadtrip has the pan inside to put water in and it does make for easy cleanup. i just dump the water out when I am done and wipe it with paper towels. I leave it set up for the few days we are there and clean it out on the last day.

Weber by far is the better grill. Hotter and better temp control. Nice domed lid that doesn't squash your food.

The road trip is more versatile with the griddle plates. These days though I tend to only bring it if I am cooking for large groups in which case I use it to supplement the other stoves.

I don't mess with the water pan. Since I don't boondock I can't simply dump the water with all the grease. Instead I use heavy duty aluminum foil from Costco and line the pan. When it gets too grungy I just pull the foil out and put fresh down.

I have a cast iron reversible griddle with grill bars on one side that does a decent job although I prefer having a grill and a stove. Often times I find myself using a burner or two with the stove. Just tonight I did BBQ drumsticks with beans and corn so I had both burners running with the grill.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Grilling is done either on my tabletop propane Weber or on my "Randy-Q"
IMG_0028.JPG
Stovetop cooking is done on my Pro90 with griddle
IMG_0111.JPG
Or if it's just me, my trusty old Coleman
IMG_0280.JPG

kc8pny

Sep 13, 2010
Union City, Ohio
A majority of our cooking is done over the fire, but I have coleman stove that I will be putting in the PUP and will use it along with the stove in the PUP.

landon6062

Jun 15, 2018
South Carolina
Our PUP has a place for an attachable grill..but we choose to use a table with sink combination instead..

** for the most part, I don't intend to cook inside (too hot)
** and I didn't like how CLOSE the grill was going to be to the canvas for the attachable grill.
*** the table sink combination was a great addition to just put a grill on top...

We have a coleman, 2 burner propane grill that we are planning on sitting on that table.

Havn't used it "camping yet" but it sure came in handy during Hurrican Matthew, when we had no power for a week...

I don't know if that would save on weight, but it sure is going to be handy. :)

donna

pasobuff

Aug 6, 2012
Upstate NY
We have a Coleman Roadtrip grill - a couple years ago we had to replace the regulator (what a PAIN to find!!), but other than that it works well for shorter trips. When we head out for longer trips we have a 2 burner propane Camp Chef cooking stove. I also picked up an electric grill/griddle a couple years ago for maybe $2- at a church rummage sale that works great for burgers, dogs etc......

JPBar

Super Active Member
Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Well since we only go to CG's with water and elec. hookups, this is what I use and works for us.

Have a Weber Smokey Joe grill for steaks, burgers and hot dogs. Made the smoker attachment for the smoky Joe and now will be able to smoke brisket,ribs, sausage, drunk chicken. I have used it 3 times at home at it is so much easier to use than my big smoker, and the meat comes out just as tasty.

Have a portable gas grill that came with camper, can use the quick connect from camper or use the 1 lb. bottles with the supplied quick connect regulator. The 1 lb. bottles last about 3 hours when set on low temperature, use this for cooking the vegetables. I prefer using the 1 lb. bottles so the grill is away from canvas.

Have a large electric griddle, use this for cooking breakfast.

Attachments

• 20180616_120239.jpg
    20180616_120239.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180616_120255.jpg
    20180616_120255.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 26

Tumbleweed53

Sep 11, 2016
I built and have been playing with a form of the South African Scottle. Or discada, or cowboy disc, or many other names. It is a plow disc on a stand with a burner under it. I also use it as a dutch oven table and can put charcoal in it. Seasoning it has been a challenge due to its size. It works great for fajitas and such as you can use the outer edges as a warmer.

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
We have a small Weber Kettle that we use when charcoal fires are permitted (not always the case if conditions are extreme fire risk), and a small Coleman propane for when charcoal or wood fires are not permitted. We typically plan at least one meal while camping with grilled steaks.

One thing I really like about the Weber is that the lid seals well enough, that when we're done, I can close it up, and the coals will extinguish fairly quickly from lack of oxygen. Other grills we've had, that wasn't the case, and it was either wait many hours for the coals to go out, or douse them with water to extinguish them (which gets a bit messy).

We prefer the flavor of charcoal grilled steaks over propane grilled.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Have a Weber Smokey Joe grill for steaks, burgers and hot dogs. Made the smoker attachment for the smoky Joe and now will be able to smoke brisket,ribs, sausage, drunk chicken. I have used it 3 times at home at it is so much easier to use than my big smoker, and the meat comes out just as tasty.

Very interesting JPBar! I'm gonna have to do some searching on DIY portable camp smokers..

Lanternman

Aug 17, 2017
Mooresville NC
We run an old Sears brand white gas stove from the 60s (whens the last time you saw a Sears camp stove[;)]) and a Coleman fold up camp kitchen. Those are great- they even come with spice racks, hooks to hang utensils, a side trash bag, towel rack, a small basin to wash stuff, and of course a lantern hook (gotta have that!)
We cook over the fire as well when we can. Never cooked inside the pup. c8.jpg

gatorbait

Upstate, SC
Jan 7, 2006
Spartanburg, SC
Also have Weber Q. No problems for 15 yrs. Use it as my primary grill at home too. Carry the griddle plate with it. Only thing I carry when camping. Have the rolling bag for it. It's the last thing I pack in the pup so its the first thing pulled out.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wow, all these fancy grills. I go old school, cooking right over the campfire on a grate I bought or I use the onsite grills some campgrounds have. I use my propane stove outside all the time too. I never cook anything inside except boiling water. I've brought my portable cheap Walmart portable grill once, but when the campground I went to had us keep grills etc in the car when not in use due to bear activity, I found it wasn't worth the hassle not to mention the extra cleaning I did to prevent the car smelling like a greace factory.