What do you keep in the P/U year round?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by ktharmon1, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Hi There! So psyched for the upcoming camping season! Just purchsed our first NTU 1993 Fleetwood Pioneer Arcadia! So excited to get off the ground and into something with walls. I love this forum. It's been fastastic (and so has Pinterest). My question for you all....what do you keep in the cabinets/storage areas year round? Have you found that things stay clean or organized by doing this? I hate packing to go camping....seems like we are always pulling in and out of the camping box based on what we want to use. What are your staples to leave in there. Also, I notice people using the collapsable shoe/clothes hangers attached to the ceiling with hooks. Is this safe? Is it too much weight for the roof? I love it for the sheer fact of saving space, but don't want to kill the camper. THANKS! Happy Camping Everyone!!

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We leave everything but food and clothing in the camper. Shoes and slippers are in there as well. Most of the stuff in there are things we downgraded in the house or things we purchased at aresale shop.

When we want to go, just grab food and some clothing (unless we're going clothing optional) and away we go.

3. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I tend to take a lot of stuff out after camping. Mostly because I need to restock, like paper goods, or to clean better, pots and pans that don't clean well. Sleeping bags, pillows, games, first aid kit, bungees, bug spray, etc. all stay within. I don't store a lot of my pots and pans in the camper. We don't do any cooking in there and the storage is awkward and I don't usually hook up to water. I hook a faucet up to my outdoor kitchen area.Yes, it is unnecessary in and out when I get home, but it helps keep me better organized. My goal this year is to restock and then reload, so I am ready to go.

4. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

We leave the camping stuff in the camper. Stove and sleeping bags come out in the winter. Clothes and food get packed based on the trip/destination.

Me the missus and three hooligans
    2014 rockwood premier 2317g
    2012 F 150 super crew echo boost.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

When we get back home, I set the unit up and we wash the bedding, remove all food we return the bedding to the unit. We leave our cooking, eating gear in the pup clothes and personal gear removed, washed and put up. We pack the clothing before leaving as that depends on the weather. If we are unsure of when we will be going I remove anything that has small batteries (IE clocks, radio etc.as he batteries have a tendency to leak after awhile) I close the unit up and tarp it until next trip.

6. efehser

efehser New Member

Anything but food. Winter storage bedding comes out for washing.

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Everything comes out of the living quarters and cabinets to prevent mold. In the storage areas underneath, only tools and hardware items. No paper, wood, or cloth.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Both of our pups were small (6' w/ 1 bunk end, 8' w/2 bunks), so there wasn't a lot of storage space to leave supplies in-season. We packed paper goods, PETT toilet and bags, PUR water dispenser (used for water in the pup, filter removed and refrigerated between trips), flashlights, roll-up aluminum tables, molded table which replaced the original table in the second pup. The memory foam stayed on the bunk(s), covered with a fitted sheet to keep it clean.
    We have the benefit of being able to leave camping supplies in an unused bedroom, so can choose bedding according to the weather expected for each trip. We used sleeping bags for ground tents, but switched to real bedding for the campers.
    For the off season, we remove pretty much everything. The memory foam toppers and covering sheets stayed in the pup. The roll-up and molded tables also stayed in the pup too, but all paper goods, anything that could freeze (cleaning wipes, etc.), matches, etc. are removed. That's partly to reduce the attractants for rodents, but also so those items are not exposed to freezing temps; for us, dampness is not much of an issue.
    Our food boxes, which we still keep in the TV, are packed at the beginning of the season, and we restock after each trip. We only have to add fresh supplies to the cooler (& now, 'fridge) for each trip.

9. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We leave most things in the camper for the season. But when it is winterized we remove food items, bedding, clothing, toiletries, cleaning supplies etc.

10. juhesihcaaa

juhesihcaaa New Member

We leave everything but food and clothing. I either bought cheap things to put in the camper or moved some cheaper things to the camper and bought new for the house. The only things I made a point to grab out of the camper before the season ended last year were spices/seasonings and splenda. I left those in during the year but didn't want to attract mice or bugs during the winter. Oh, we also did take out our sleeping bags to wash.

11. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

As so many others: During the camping season we leave everything in the camper except perishables (food & drink), spices etc stay in during the season. After the last outing we pretty much strip the camper to "show room" condition. After everything is washed it's put in 'camper boxes' ready for spring and reloading of the Lap O' Luxury!

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

In California it is pretty dry year round. I leave my clean sheets, blankets, towels and pillows in large ziplocks. I also leave my slippers, pots n pans, eating utensils, cookware, chairs etc etc only thing I don't leave inside are food, and personal clothes and 2.5 cu fridge. I bring home dirty sheets, clothes fridge and leftover food. whenever I go camping I pack fresh clothes, sheets, fridge and food. Everything else are in the camper

13. razorbackcamp

razorbackcamp New Member

Food and clothes come out when we get home. but we pack in Rubbermaid dressers. Bedding some out and washed depending on length of trip. Then back in space bags and back in the camper. These are a blessing , can keep 2 king sheet sets, confronters, 2 blankets and 6 pillows all under one side of the dinette. Pots, pans, silverware and dishes all get run thru the dish washer just to be sure.

14. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We take out food, after every trip, and clothing, after every trip, and when packing it up for winter storage, we take out things we don't want to freeze, like liquid soap, etc. I also take out the battery lanterns to keep in the house in case of power outages.

15. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Food , any liquid that could freeze and clothing. The rest of the equipment is left in the camper. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]

16. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

We leave all the shelves, campfire stuff, chocks, BAL, pots & pans and dishes. Everything else comes out, especially the porta-potty and any liquids/chemicals/bug spray cans. Left a potty chemical bottle one year, it froze and cracked open leaving blue goo in the cabinet floor. What a mess to clean up.

In the next couple of days, I get to put it all the camping stuff back in as the pup gets prepped for the first trip of the season!