What do you listen to on XMRadio/Sirius while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by NJGuy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

Had a spare cradle and antenna for mine and for some reason could not get any signal when I tried it camping. I was looking forward to cooking dinner listening to 70s on 7.

2. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Lithium and Alt Nation

3. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

NHL - Stanley cup finals!!!

4. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

No radio or tv for me. I have carried an MP3 player at times but almost never pick it up. Much more likely to read.

S'funny you should mention that. A number of years ago, in the time BP (before PUP) we were going on a camping trip that happened to coincide with a Colorado Avalanche playoff game. I took a radio and was not going to miss listening to the game that evening. We were on an open loop area with no real designated camp sites and the place was full. A few people had music playing at a respectful level but, at 7pm, something funny happened; every single person in the campground pulled out a radio and tuned it to the Avs game. Everybody had it on quietly but the sound was filling the loop. I thought it was very cool.

The Avalanche won, BTW!!!

5. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have a radio installed in the Evolution though I think that I will take it out and install an MP3 player. That way when I hook up the outdoor movie projector I get stereo sound

Seriously I also don't listen to the radio, or watch TV for that matter. I am thinking since I have speakers installed I may install my old IPAD instead and load it up with music.... Hmmmmm, that would be a first for the portal I think, challenge accepted.

6. piscoot

piscoot Member

Sitting on the beach with headphones on or to add a little romance for our dinner time, it will be 1940's big band playing through Pandora app!

7. turborich

turborich Active Member

If I can pull in a station that gets Coast to Coast AM then I'll listen to this at night while falling asleep. Otherwise I don't listen to the radio unless it's for the weather report. No TV or any other crap while camping. [2C]

8. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

fox nation if rolling down the road. campside I'll look for a local station who plays oldies like barbershop,patriotic, and maybe more likely some soft country.

9. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

I don't have a radio. I carry music on an MP3 player with speakers. In the morning when I'm fixing breakfast I listen to Jars of Clay or Amy Grant. I like to start the morning at a peaceful pace.

Happy Camping!!!

10. dion

dion Member

I had XM in my tow vehicle for a year or two. I cancelled it because I didn't use it much. While the music was OK, it has no local content. When I'm traveling, I like to hear local news, about the local city council, the local agriculture report, the local county fair, the local high school sports, whatever is going on in the area. I feel like it puts me in touch with the area I'm traveling through to know what's important to them. In the Four Corners area, I even enjoyed hearing the news and advertisements read in the Navajo language, even though I can't understand a word of it (except the numbers, which they recite in English). Occasionally, I hear about some local event that I want to stop and check out -- a chili cook-off, a concert, etc.

So I have a small portable AM/FM radio that I listen to at the campsite sometimes. But more often, I restrict the radio use to the time that I'm driving, and leave the radio off while at the campsite.

11. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

Hits One
    Blue Collar
    Radio Disney
    Pop2K
    90s on 9

12. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl New Member

IPod for me too...prefer it to XM/Sirus

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I agree. One of my wife's first mod requests is upgrading the radio in the evolution to accept MP3 via Bluetooth plus a frame to hold our Ipad. That way we have our music at the touch of a finger.. No pun intended.

14. Dave90210

Dave90210 New Member

My tastes are pretty eclectic, and depends on mood, time of day, etc. Sirius First Wave, Spa, Coast to Coast, CBC.

15. jackk

jackk Member

Deep Tracks, Jam On or Spectrum...

16. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

I don't have xm I usually listen to pandora or my iPod. I just bring my iHome from home and dock my iPhone.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I listen to classic rewind, classic vinyl, lithium, first wave, and maybe 100/101 depending on the content during the week. I have the sportster 5 and boombox. Out of the truck and onto the coleman exponent kitchen.

18. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Only when driving, 50,60,70,80, other classic rock stations ,olde time radio. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

In the car, we just have the factory installed am/fm with cd player. When it's just me in the car, I alternate between a talk radio channel or contempory Christian. With DH in the car, it's the same, or he may switch over to a sports channel. For road trips, we have a series of CD's, most of which are old country or southern rock. While actually camping, we don't play music much like we used to. On our last trip, DH did have the radio on, most of the weekend and it was on a sports channel.

20. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Hooray for Deep Tracks!!! Awesome programming.
    Also: Underground Garage, and depending on mood , Soul Town, Jam On or First Wave.

I miss Beyond Jazz. Fusion/Modern jazz station that was dropped with the XM/Sirius merger.

An FYI for subscribers. Pretty standard procedure for me every year when my renewal comes due, I call and tell them to cancel and they offer a half price deal.