What do you say to people who walk through your site?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by jenventola, Sep 29, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

We were camping this past weekend in a very family/kids-oriented campground, and had the site right next to the bath house. Great for allowing our 6 year-old to walk to the bathroom alone, horrible for people walking right through our site to get to the bathroom. Mostly kids, but I saw a few adults as well. I couldn't believe people would be so rude. A few times, my husband asked nicely if they could walk around next time, but we really didn't do anything beyond that. I didn't want to be the grumpy camper yelling at kids to get of her lawn, but it drove us crazy. Are we overreacting? Any suggested verbiage or tactics to avoid this in the future (aside from the obvious solution of not booking so close to the bath house)?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Ever hear of a bear fence? They can be quite entertaining. [LOL]

Or put up signs that warn of land mines.

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Portable Wasp Nest (PWN):

[​IMG]
    Wasps are pest control

While they can also kill some beneficial insects, they can be very helpful in eating crop-destroying bugs, such as grubs, caterpillars, weevils and camp intruders. They are so useful in this respect that campers will sometimes ship wasps in as a natural pest control for their campgrounds. Now that's an all-natural pesticide!

To see how this works, watch this video featuring a gardener sharing the useful role wasps played in her yard.

https://youtu.be/frzCnD6m6w8

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had two dogs so most campers see them and don't bother cutting through. Good thing, because one of them was protective and barked at anyone who even walked on the line of the boundary. I've reminded a few people to not cut through, if the dogs weren't with me, but never did much else. I always tried to find sites a little more away from things just so I don't have that problem. Then again I have a toilet in my camper and don't have any young kiddos.

5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Over reacting? I don't think so. As public (open) as some campgrounds are I don't think it's unreasonable to expect so common courtisy to privacy of your own little rented piece of land.

I watched this last weekend as a camper across from us had the awesome privilege of having the site right next to the play area. This area has only one entrance (with a designated pathway around the campsite) and I was dumb founded as i watch kids and parents alike walk and push strollers thru their site to gain access. Several even walked between their truck and camper...

I don't know what I would have done....how do you tell each kid and parent?

Maybe a sign that read "Pay Toll Here" with a box under the sign?

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree. You should expect others to stay off your site.

I've only experienced problems at one particular site we had right on the water. There was no separation between the site and the water, the water's edge was literally part of the site. There are lots of campgrounds that have public access to the water next to sites, but that is not the case in this instance.

We had people literally cut through the site next to ours and proceed to set up their fishing on our site! It was completely bizarre. They could have fished from any number of empty sites that also backed up to the water, or miles of public access fishing within the park, including fishing piers. We asked them to leave and they got irate and refused. We had to end up calling the park ranger to remove them.

Other than that, never had anyone cut through our site. Not sure how I would handle that. I would likely try some kind of physical barrier first.

Being a MD native, I'm curious what campground this was.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  7. upstate family

upstate family Member

I would have said something too. If it kept happening I'd have fashioned a sign and put it up. It is really rude and I can't believe people think this is okay to do. I do try to avoid sites right by the bathroom or the playground though because I do want a little bit of privacy. but I know that sometimes you have to take what is left.

8. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I too avoid sites right next to the bath houses. If I get a site by the playground (it's nice when the kids are young) I go across the street and not right next to it. It is inevitable that people will walk the shortest path and not around.

You can say something but it is so common most of the time there is a path worn. When people see a path it's assumed ok. I have seen people put up tape or blocked off the access somehow through the site. but I can't help label that person as the get off my lawn type though they are probably as nice as can be. It really is a no win situation. Just know that if you take a convenient site it's going to come with those problems.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Sounds like Westmoreland State Park in Virginia just across the Potomac from MD. Lots of MD folks stay there...

We camp in the B-section all the the time and they have Electric sites mixed in with no-hook ups for tent campers...

There is a cluster of paths all leading to the central located rest room bldg for several sites very close to the bath room building...

Like said above if a path already exists its going to be used haha...

If there are grown ups doing we usually remind them we are camping here and would appreciate some privacy. Its mostly the kids that do it however... I usually have a spare water spigot hanging out in plain view and eventually one of the kids is going to ask what that is for and thats when I tell them to squirt kids running through the camp site. Word gets around fast haha...

The kids always finds out who has an air pump setup for their bicycles... When that word gets around the camp might as well give up policing your camp site. We enjoy the kids anyway... No biggie for us either way...

Site B has a small trail at the back road with a couple of short hills in and out of a couple of deep ditches... Kids love to run this right at dark with the bicycle lights on... You see lights coming and going for a couple of hours around this time...

Roy Ken

10. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

When we camped at Lake Waramaug in CT we had this same situation. The area just beyond ours had to follow the road up and over to reach the restrooms so inevitably they would just cut through. Our first night there the sites on both sides of us were empty so people stayed in those which was fine, the second day those sites filled up and it seemed people just waltzed right through with little thought. When it was the kids I would remind them that cutting through someone's site was rude and for the most part they would apologize and go around. The parents with the little kids I didn't mind since getting a toddler to the bathroom as quickly as possible can be a serious matter at times. I had one guy probably in his late 20's come through and stop to apologize as he said not realizing it was someone's campsite, then came back through on his way back to his site without saying a word.

Overall I usually just ignore it, say hi to the people and get on with enjoying my time camping. I understand it can become annoying, but my camping time us usually too short to sweat things like this. I've even made some friends who cut through and on the way back stopped to chat and ended up having a cup of coffee and sitting for while.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I'll just put up a sign: Please let me know if you found my 4 foot California King Snake on my site # xx. I really appreciate your help.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I seldom have issues with adults but kids, well, the DW says that no camping trip is complete until I've made someone's kid cry. It's not something I aim for either, I guess I just have a knack for it. [;)]

HappyTraveler and ThePatrams like this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have a local state park like this. It's heavily wooded and the paths get confusing. I'm direction-ly challenged anyway, so have ended up at the wrong site. I've never entered the wrong site, always realize it once the site comes into site, and have to go back and try another path.

Problem is, when you come out of the bath house, there are like 20 path choices all around you. And each one doesn't lead directly to a campsite, they all branch off to several sites. Often, especially at night, we will see flashlights coming down the path to our site before they realize they've taken the wrong way. I think they need to erect little wooden arrows with site numbers on them, where the paths split. Of course that's assuming you choose the right path to begin with, which doesn't always happen.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It happens when people are not educated to proper etiquette. This is common in resort type campgrounds where the campers have little camping experience. I calmly an politely educate kids. Grown ups just get, "Would you mind not cutting through my camp?"

15. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I have been known to ask them if they are lost and need some help or just inconsiderate. Never had one reply inconsiderate.

16. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Yes, this. I'm not letting someone who cuts through my site ruin my trip.

17. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

We had an occasion where a mom parked her minivan off the side of the road on our site, unloaded all the kids, lawn chairs, fishing poles and a picnic basket. She was headed to the lake shore of our "premium" site (ie: more $$). I greeted her en route, as my dog is going ape barking, and explained to her that this was our site and that the public fishing area was just around the corner. She replied that it was too crowded over there. I said sorry, but I paid extra for this site and perhaps she should reserve it in the future if her family wanted to fish from the shore. She stomped off mumbling loudly that she thought campers were supposed to be friendly and blah, blah, blah.

I personally think cutting through someone's site is #1 on the camping etiquette no-no list.

HappyTraveler and Tracy D. like this.
  18. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

We have been known to hang strategic clothes lines with big towels to block a "cut-through" route

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We have done this as well..

20. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

During a camping trip last summer, we had a very large group of campers near by at the large group campsite. The camp host complained about them being loud, rude and not following campground rules. The sheriff was called out late at night because of other campers complaints. The next day, a group of 20+ were walking through our camp site. I asked them not to walk through. They thought a short cut to the lake was located behind my camp site. I told them there wasn't and to just walk along the road. They weren't happy. Later that night, I caught two guys with headlamps walking away from behind my trailer. They stole a bathroom ditty bag that contained baby wipes, air freshener, hand sanitizer and etc. Since it was too dark to see, I didn't notice it. As we were leaving the following morning, they yelled obscenities and flipped their fingers at us.

I've camped for decades at lots of places. I've never encountered such rude and unruly campers before. My goal is to go dispersed camping next year and get away from the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk