What do you say to people who walk through your site?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by jenventola, Sep 29, 2016.

1. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

We were camped at a corner site near the bathrooms once and others had forged an unofficial path that cut through our site to the rest area. I got so sick of it that I set up our table and chairs right in the middle of the path. The next people cutting through were like "oh, sorry" and turned around to use the road instead. No more problems with cut throughs after that.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's outrageous!

Time to get one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl8aq2QLC-I

3. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I am very careful to make reservations early to get the best sites, which are usually on the water. I almost always have folks that want to walk through to get down to the shoreline. For me, it is not worth the unpleasantness of saying "no". And I certainly appreciate that most people ask first and stay to the edge of the site. For those that walk-through the center, I politely say something like "please keep away from the middle of the site, I'd hate for someone to trip on an extension cord or hose".

But I really do mostly want to be left completely alone!

4. jenventola

jenventola New Member

Holy cow, that's crazy! Great stories and suggestions, everyone! At the end of the day, while it's highly annoying and I imagine we'll continue to politely ask people not to cut through, I don't want to make a big stink and spend too much time stressing over it, when we should be enjoying the great outdoors instead [8D] For those who were wondering, we were at Knoebels in PA this past weekend (amusement park on-site, so TONS of kids). It was an overall great trip, but definitely looking forward to a more relaxing, "unplugged" weekend in the mountains in a few weeks!

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just think, if they are doing that while you're there, what are they doing when you are not?

Maybe put a trail camera up when you make camp. :) Just don't forget it when leaving. [:O]

Attached Files:

Haybale likes this.
  6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Hey Steve - Never noticed before but there are a lot of last edits by you on posts on this topic. Are you cutting out long quotes or doing some maintenance? Is this a regular thing that I've just never paid attention to before?

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Great idea... I am currently researching for the best spots to go dispersed camping next year. It's time for a change of venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Yeah, that works real well. I hung one 4 feet off the ground and completely covered it with towels almost touching the ground. Still had kids crawling under and through the towels to walk between my trailer and picnic table ( 6 feet apart)

9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No, removing unnecessary quotes. Can't stand it when people use the quote button instead of the reply button.

10. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

What do I say to people who walk through my sight.....? Would you like a smore ?

Haybale likes this.
  11. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

I've never had the problem.

I'd be friendly, but I'd go the other way: "No, turn around- you're more than welcome here but you've got to bring marshmallows, or a bottle, or some wood..."

Haybale likes this.
  12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Ryanm... I've never had the problem either. Your answer was probably better. If they looked old enough and like my kind of folks I might offer them a drink

13. gruss

gruss Active Member

If I park near a bathroom or some other point of "interest" I just expect it. Most ppl walk the edge of the site or ask if they can pet the dog, either is fine by me. You gotta be pretty blatant to get me to say something....and I will, but it's few and far between.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I had a problem with "visitors" a year ago. I had a site that backed up to Lake Ontario at Four Mile Creek SP in Western NY and had some very rude people walk through it as my DW and I were having dinner. I mentioned that they were welcome to get to the lakeshore but to walk on the back edge of the campsite. One of the people wasn't very happy with my request but the guy who was camping expressed his understanding and led the people to the back edge. They enjoyed the sunset over the lake and left but the far edge of the campsite as I requested.

15. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Re-arranging the furniture to create an "obstacle course" seems to work.
    I like the clothesline idea, too...

16. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

I have to say we really haven't that problem but if it did I would ask that they don't do it again.

17. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I was at a CP in Riverside county, I had a back corner site, right at the trail head (knowingly). There was a side trail that took you over a huge dead fallen tree over a dry creek. The side trail had a small dirt path from the road to the fallen tree. Many people walked so close to me (between my slide out kitchen and fire ring 10 feet away) they literally could have touched my skillet....

I would say "Can you go around my site", or "There is a trial up there or back there pointing at the 2 trails". That failed.

I put up orange traffic cones (I keep 2 in my TV), that didn't help.

So I strung up a line (industrial thread, 100lbs test) and tied strips of white plastic shopping bags every could of feet, and put a sign near the road asking people to go around my site. Many people walking by looked puzzled so I'd say yes it was necessary for adults....

The rangers were very friendly and said that was a big problem and they don't want the liability of the 'tree bridge' and said there was plans to remove it.

I'll stick to boondocking!!

18. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Have not had that problem yet. But we always try to park on the outside loop away from bathrooms.

19. Wardog07D

Wardog07D New Member

We rented a site that had an awesome patch of woods between us and the sites on the other side. The sites on the other side were vacant and the bath house was a few sites down from that. There's 20ish sites per cul de sac and there's 5 cul de sacs in this particular part of the campground. The kids were having a blast riding through the woods but started using our campsite as a thoroughfare. My wife mentioned that we would prefer that they ride on the end of our campsite so nobody falls in our fire or crashes into our (then) tent and guy lines. Their father told my wife to f*#$ off. Luckily for the both of us, I wasn't there to hear that. Later that night, he and his family went to the bath house and stomped right through our site while we were sitting by the fire. I told them to go around our site from now on. He chuckled and said "We'll go where we please...this place ain't yours anyway." I pulled out my 550 cord and made a trip line right at the edge of the woods. I sent my family into the tent for bed and I alone waited for the intrusive family to return. He led the way...and loudly remarked "COMING THROUGH!!!" He hit the cord and fell flat on his face. It knocked the breath out of him, his wife screamed, kids laughed and I was there in a heart beat. I told him I had enough of his bullying ways, this was our campsite and the next time he tried stomping through it, I was going to roll his fat ass into the lake to use him for bait. "By the way," I said, "don't think you're going through my campsite right now, either, you go around." They packed up and left the next morning which was weird, because it was Saturday.

HappyTraveler and Aneemal33 like this.
  20. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

It is sad that this space invading behavior has to be experienced and/or tolerated. I am usually not one to pass the buck and rely on authority for simple things that should be handled ourselves, but perhaps it is time for CG's, especially government ones, to start stating campsite space should be respected as a rule and educate visitors on it.

JPBar likes this.