What do you tow with your “5000 lb” limit

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by D2forever, Aug 11, 2018.

1. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I have a 2011 Starcraft 187tb 3 bed hybrid. Same dry weight and gvwr. I tow it with a Toyota Tundra. I towed it once with my Dodge Durango, which has a 6000 lb tow rating. While it was possible, it wasn’t fun. It was a little skittish on the highway. The wind and passing trucks made the camper move around and the Durango just did not have enough weight or wheelbase to control it well. I would say that your explorer can do it, but you will find it more comfortable to travel <60 mph. With a full size truck, I can travel at 75 mph with more control than my Durango did at 60 mph towing the 187tb. You will definitely need a weight distribution hitch, because the hitch weight is pretty close to 550 lbs loaded. The wdh pushes weight back towards the camper’s rear axle and up towards the tow vehicle’s front axle. It levels things out and gives you more control. By the way, I guarantee the rv dealer will say the explorer will be able to tow it “no problem”. Not to bash dealers, because I agree that it can, just not comfortably.

2. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Thanks so much! Even with the Explorer tow weighting at 5000 v your 6000, while not fast or perhaps fun (something we would definitely want to give serious thought to) you think we could initially do it? We were thinking we could try the Explorer and if just not comfortable, do something different.

So excited about the 187tb. Seems perfect for our family and could be used for a decade until they graduate high school. Do you love it? What’s great? What do you wish was different?

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would bet that the Starcraft's actual weight is closer to 4000. Does it have a Water heater, Furnace, A/C, Awning. All of these are opinions and not part of the Dry weight.

4. D2forever

D2forever New Member

It does have all those things. Would that be included in the GCWR? Of 4445?

5. brokenotbroken

brokenotbroken Member

I have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe 6cyl AWD with a 5000lb tow rating and tow a 2008 Fleetwood Westlake. I have had no problems at all. Tows like a dream especially on highways at 70+MPH. Avg gas consumption is 20MPG. I live in Northwest Florida and visit the smokie mtns quite often, but most of my driving has been on relatively flat roads. I have no idea how it would be in the rockies or Colorado or something like that. We have an antisway bar installed and other than starting from a dead stop, you wouldn't know it was back there. Hope that helps.

6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

It works well for us, family of 5. Wish there were more storage for clothing, the 3rd bed eliminates some cabinet space that 2 bed hybrids have. The shower is too small for me, but my kids fit fine. The refrigerator is huge, so we only bring a cooler for drinks.

When loaded up, you’ll come pretty close to 4300 lbs. Things add up fast, and we do not bring excessive stuff. We don’t travel with water, preferring to fill the water tank (if necessary) when we get to a campground.

Your gas mileage while towing will be horrible. But well worth it. It is a big improvement over our old popup. And I use the air conditioning much more often than I ever thought I would.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  7. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Thank you. If I missed it, I’m sorry. What is your tow rating on the tundra? ( sorry I was just searching 187tb. I’ll have to pay better attention to who replies).

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I don't know what a GCVR is. If you mean Gross combined vehicle weight rating(GVWR) That is a combination of the most a Tow vehicle & Trailer can weigh together. There should be a tag on the trailer with its actual weight if not ask the dealer to weight it.

9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Over 9000 lbs, it’s a 1/2 ton pickup. I think you will find that you’ll be around 4300lbs loaded. Your explorer will tow it with a good wdh and brake controller. You just have to take it slower.

D2forever likes this.
  10. D2forever

D2forever New Member

My apologies. Auto correct. It is 4445

11. chartle

chartle New Member

I tow a KZ 180BH 3,500 GVWR with a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with factory tow package and a 4,500lb weight limit and wouldn't go over that.

The weight listed online and maybe in the brochure was about 200 more off the assembly line and on the lot and this was before the battery and propane tanks.

We at first were going to get a 181BH with a dinette slide out but its dry weight on the lot was 3050 with the same 3,500 GVWR. Our 180BH was a 2,850 dry weight.

We do get a big hit on gas mileage. On a trip from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati without the trailer we could get 30 mpg with the TT maybe 13.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I agree but some of the wear on the brakes may have occurred on the open road and there are many down grades that don't seem steep enough to use a lower gear. Also, I have an automatic and rarely use the steering wheel paddles. My point was that the trailer should have been doing more of the braking.

13. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We just got a Toyota Highlander rated at 5000 lbs to tow a 2550 lb popup. I looked at some 16-17' hybrids with dry weight of about 3000 but I worried more about the higher profile than the weight. I want vacation to be stress free.
    It's easy and fun to "shop" the bigger ones with all the amenities, but I am happy to get my feet wet with a popup and have that to look forward to when we have more experience and might want the change. We could very likely find we prefer the popup.

truckinusa likes this.
  14. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Hopefully you got them down on the price a bit. I was curious what you bought for a hitch. I'm debating if it would look cleaner to spend the $330 on the Toyota brand hitch versus the $150 generic one. They almost look the same, but wasn't sure which way I'm going to go.

15. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Not sure I've got a big enough TV? With a towing capacity of 16,700 pounds I'm pulling a #2300 pound PUP with my 2008 Duramax. Dazed and confused?? [?:~{]

jnc and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We got $5400 off sticker plus they charged the $449 dealer prep fee then added it to our trade amount. They basically matched the offer from Atlanta then waived prep fee since Atl did not have one. Both had junk added we don't need but we are happy to have negotiations behind us.
    We are getting the hitch work done at the rv shop because it will be a more custom one to fit the camper. U haul has a Toyota hitch on their site for less than that.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I could not tow my old 5000 pound hybrid and 5.3 v8 trailblazer. It was related to highway gearing 3.42 and frontal area limits. It could not do 59 or stay in 4 th gear on a 3 mile down hill grade on an interstate. Exploder v6 cuv 5000 pound rating is for popup campers or a boat.

My 12 foot pup has 450 pounds of tongue weight.

My hybrid had 750 pounds.

18. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Maybe you don't want to mess with it, but etrailer has all the brands besides the Toyota one and a cheaper price. They are pretty simple and just bolt up to weld nuts that are already there. If you plan on having a full size spare supposedly the only one that works is the Drawtite. Haven't quite decided what I'm going to do but I like the clean look of the Ecohitch and the Toyota one. The Curt brand is the same one that Uhaul installs.

19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Pull w/ a 2010 double cab Tacoma SR5, Aliner Ranger 10 a frame, dry weight on the sticker was 1,338 lbs, add 100 lbs for a full propane tank & 24 series deep cell battery, gonna say the spare tire is 50 lbs, add maybe 200 lbs of gear inside the camper, wife & I plus gear in truck bed, 500 lbs = bout 2,300lbs I'm towing; truck weighs say 4100 lbs, tongue weight of 650 lbs, tow capacity of 6,500 lbs, total GCVR is 11,100 lbs, rounding up everything is 6,500 lbs, leaving me 4,600 lbs under the GCVR...live in hilly/mountainous terrain, pull in 4th & on occasion OD if level or a slight down grade...not sure if this made sense, I'm a tad confused now myself...

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have 2002 Niagara at GVRW #3600 towing behind 2014 V6 Explorer (5000# tow max) No problem where. even went 55 over mountains in California.

Your explorer should tow 3600 # or less with no problem. If you need to know the GVRW of popup, Never Look at dry weight when shopping for popup. The sticker by the door should tell you how much weight you can load in popup. It will show the GVRW, also. ignore dry weight.