What do you tow with your “5000 lb” limit

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by D2forever, Aug 11, 2018.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a 2012 Ford Explorer with the tow package and the V6. We tow our 2008 Fleetwood Sea Pine with it. The pup weighs 1840 when empty and about 2100-2200 lbs when loaded. Plus another maybe 100-200 lbs of stuff in the back of the Explorer. So, we are well under our limit.

If you have the factory tow package you should have engine braking, as long as you engage the Tow/Haul button. Also highly recommend your pup has brakes and make sure to install a brake controller, unless it is part of the factory tow package as with some newer models.

We have driven it thru some mountain passes in Colorado and it performed well. If I know I was going down some serious downgrades I would shift into manual mode and keep it in first or second gear. I took my time and barely touched the brakes.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My 2014 Explorer is sitting outside with 3500# Niagara hooked to it. there is visibly no rear sag! The tow package has suspension for towing as well.

3. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Hello, thank you all for your very valuable and helpful feedback. Joining this site, rv.net and hybrid Facebook page has been very helpful as I worked through this. After much deliberation we are leaning toward a 2013 Jayco X17z with UVW of 3050# and CCC of 450# for a total of 3500#. The explorer has GCWR of 9950, and Payload Capacity of 1558#, and a tow rating of 5000# and hitch weight of 500#. If you include the driver in calculating occupant weight, that is 500# (some say do, some say don't, so being conservative and including), and the hitch at 350#, that leaves 700# in the Explorer and 450# in the Jayco - more than enough wiggle room I believe as we would never load 1,150# of stuff. So all, did I do that right? WDH, 7 prong hitch, brake controller, ASB, etc. So - do I pass my weight lesson???

emoney likes this.
  4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did well. There are those who will say the sq footage of the front of the camper has to be factored in, but I lean toward the group who say aerodynamics is such a convoluted topic that it’s more speculation than science.

5. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Yes, I looked at that as well. The math calculates to 45 sq ft, however, that is not taking into consideration at all the curve in the front, so it is something less that 45 sq ft. That is over my math skills :) but I feel good about it.

emoney likes this.
  6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Another point I will drop into this conversation is that tow capacity et al is factored considering 365 day per year towing. The numbers are used under the assumption that the truck buyer is planning to leave that trailer permanently attached behind him/her. Towing is serious but it can also be simple; it’s no different than any type driving in that if the situation is dangerous make adjustments. I would never drive my trucker in an ice storm when there’s already snow and ice on the road. Doesn’t matter if it’s capable or not. The risk doesn’t outweigh the benefit so I’ll postpone whenever I need to go until it’s safer. If the winds are blowing at 50mph from the side, I hope you’d pull over and let that storm pass before pulling that trailer. Respecting what your pulling is the key. Most of those videos designed to scare everyone into never pulling a trailer are extreme situations and probably would’ve never happened to a more experienced driver practicing safe driving. Going up or down an 11 degree grade with your foot on the gas pedal doesn’t make sense. At least it shouldn’t.

D2forever likes this.
  7. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Yes, when I talked to the Ford dealership owner (someone I know and trust, not just trying to sell me something) he said the exact same thing - you are talking at most 20 towing days a year for us right now.

8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have an enclosed motorcycle trailer that is probably lighter than the PUP when empty, but it sure takes more to tow it.
    The pop up tows really easily though, even with an underpowered TV.

9. Halford

YUP!

10. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Just had this discussion with my son. He says his excursion is rated to tow 4700 pounds. I said great what is the payload capacity? he looked in the owners manual and said 400 pounds on the bumper. I told him he was not going to be able to tow a 4700 pound trailer. At 10% of trailer weight on the bumper he would be over the payload by 70 pounds. Not a lot mind you but it builds form there. The two (payload and towing capacity) are not one or the other neither can or should be violated.

11. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I to a 5000 pound trailer with a ram 1500.

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Wait, you sons Excursion is rated to tow 4,700 Lbs? Why doesn't that sound right?

13. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I may not have the exact number correct but it was in the 4000-5000 range. When we looked at the payload was when we realized he could not tow that heavy a trailer. He is towing our old jayco qwest 8 since we moved to the dark side in April.

14. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

The 2004 Excursion is rated for 7600. that was one reason I got an expedition rated at 9000.

15. Halford

why is Excursion's max tow lower than the Expeditions'? Some Excursion have V10 engines.

16. Shaman1

I think it is because of the vehicle weight by itself. The excursion is way heavier.

17. Halford

Makes sense if it is the reason.

18. Shaman1

19. Halford

What Shaman found in the link: "The Excursion was designed to work, and its capabilities were among the highest in the SUV class at the time. The 2004 models are typical; for this year the 5.4-liter, two-wheel drive models are rated to tow up to 7,600 lbs. while the four-wheel drives can tow up to 7,200. All versions of the 6.8 V10 and 6.0 Power Stroke diesel are rated to tow up to 11,000 lbs."

20. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Thank you all for the confidence. Hope to get our little HTT soon!