what do you use as a container for emergency gasoline

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Well, I know you already found your solution, but I just have to say the NEWER a gas can is, the worse they are at putting gas into something quickly. I have three standard red plastic gas cans with the standard yellow cap. They work okay for the lawn mower and snow blower. For the ATV, the darn skinny spouts and lack of a vent hole force me to hold a 5 gallon can for about 7-8 minutes to empty it. At least the UTV simply has a gas cap and a big fill.

Now, putting gas in a modern gas vehicle, that is an absolute JOKE! The reducer causes manufacturers to put those skinny nozzles on there, but to cut costs, they are short. That causes me to have to hold the gas can upside down to get the nozzle past the reducer and little door in the fuel port. Now I have to hold that at chest height for about 10-12 minutes while it goes down in there. That's just plain old stupid! And the cans no longer mold in finger grips on the bottom of the can, so you are trying to hold it by the rounded edges... ugh.

On the plus side, I have never had those plastic cans leak if I put the nozzle inside the can and seal it up tight for transport. We spend a lot of time out in the true boondocks. It's 88 miles to the closest functioning gas station from our area, and when we GET there, we drive the UTV and truck a lot to see if we can find caribou. So, I've had to put gas in the UTV and truck to get me back to that station on the way home.

I bring 15 gallons usually. I've been VERY tempted to get those rolling cans that have a hose, but I'm usually unwilling to pop on the price when I have a solution already... until I'm trying to dump fuel in my tuck again!

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
The 5 gallon No-Spill is perfect for filling a pickup. You can sit it on the bedside above the fill hole and use a short piece of hose. No gas come out until you push the button....I have used three different of these cans today...lol

20220404_150458.jpg
20220404_150342.jpg

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Try a No Spill brand gas can. They can tip over and won't spill. You also don't get gas on your hands when pouring. I replaced all my old cans with them.

View attachment 82110

I use these (the blue one) for Kerosene for my garage heater. They would be near perfect if you could lock on the button to do the fill. As it stands, you have to hold the button down, and it's pretty slow to fill, and takes a bit of force which quickly tires out my thumb. Maybe I'm just a wimp lol.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Well, I know you already found your solution, but I just have to say the NEWER a gas can is, the worse they are at putting gas into something quickly. I have three standard red plastic gas cans with the standard yellow cap. They work okay for the lawn mower and snow blower. For the ATV, the darn skinny spouts and lack of a vent hole force me to hold a 5 gallon can for about 7-8 minutes to empty it. At least the UTV simply has a gas cap and a big fill.

Now, putting gas in a modern gas vehicle, that is an absolute JOKE! The reducer causes manufacturers to put those skinny nozzles on there, but to cut costs, they are short. That causes me to have to hold the gas can upside down to get the nozzle past the reducer and little door in the fuel port. Now I have to hold that at chest height for about 10-12 minutes while it goes down in there. That's just plain old stupid! And the cans no longer mold in finger grips on the bottom of the can, so you are trying to hold it by the rounded edges... ugh.
I agree completely. I find it pretty tough to hold a can of 50 lbs of gas, (5 gals, and it does get lighter the longer that you hold it), at chest height waiting for it to drain into the truck. Add to it that they all seem to have a flexible spout on them now, so its wobbling all over the place as you're holding it. AND, I have a Ford, so it has the cap-less system on it. I have to shove a special small funnel into the filler neck to push the flap out of the way. I can't just jamb the spout of the gas can in there, I have to aim the flexible spout at the funnel and quickly stuff it in there before it starts spilling gas out everywhere.

All that said, I usually just take a 2 1/2 gallon, old style gas can along with a ridged spout in it. It's lighter to hold and plugs easily into the cap-less funnel. The truck uses about 13L of gas per 100 kms. A 2 1/2 gallon can holds about 10L. So I get about 75 kms out of that can which is about 45 miles of driving, give or take. That should be enough to find a gas station if it comes down to it.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
we have never needed emergency gas, but we have come close a few times. When towing, of course, our range is significantly shorter. So now we try and fill up when the tank gets to half. Just becasue if we don't, then sooner or later the situation becomes "interesting"

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
One of my trucks only has a 19 gallon tank and has a 460 engine. Towing is often single digits with it. A little extra gas in a can is good peace of mind.

Groomporter

Jan 30, 2021
Minnesota
we have never needed emergency gas, but we have come close a few times. When towing, of course, our range is significantly shorter. So now we try and fill up when the tank gets to half. Just becasue if we don't, then sooner or later the situation becomes "interesting"
My parents alway got a chuckle when they heard Tucumcari, NM in a weather report after we had a close call on a trip when I was young.

Latest posts