What do you while traveling to your camp destination

[email protected]

Aug 9, 2011
North Dakota
Drive time is quality talk time for us, about camping and all things under the sky. One thing we like to do is count RVs we see on the road while driving to our camp destination. We have realized that many of the units we see on the road are 5th wheel but we have also noticed that 3-5% are pop up campers. While this number may seem low it is good to see the canvas crowd is represented also. Two friends just purchased Pop ups this spring and that was exciting. At the CG we always walk around and check out what campers do at their site to make it enjoyable and yes we have tried a few of the ideas some worked some didnt[PU]

boopheads

I'd rather be camping
Aug 10, 2013
We do the same. Count RVs and who spots them first gets a point. 5 points for a PUP. At the CG we walk around after supper and check out the different rigs and lights.

Adam Roby

Aug 12, 2014
I've only gone once, so I was very concentrated on watching the road and mirrors for any signs of trouble. It is funny though that you never really notice how many popups are on the road until you own one. Very similar to your vehicle... you never really notice how many there are until your mind is consciously or subconsciously thinking about it.

CaliforniaPoppy

California and beyond!
Dec 4, 2007
California Coast
We chat about random things. Sometimes, depending on the traffic, I put in my headphones and close my eyes, so I don't try to drive from the passenger seat. There are times it's better to just not know.

Djo

Feb 3, 2014
Solo driving - so books-on-tape are in order. Actually the tapes are gone as are the CDs that replaced them but books-on-MP3 just does not sound right. Downloaded from the library making them very cheap entertainment.
David

Haybale

I'd rather be camping!!
Aug 22, 2013
San Diego via MN
With it just being me and my 6yo DS (with DS, Down Syndrome) we sing funny random made up songs. HE has a Nabi Jr for games and such, I also hang a portable DVD player off the seat in front of him. I ask him what he see's and he asks me 'what's that' a lot. The floor by his feet is full of toys and books. The front passenger seat has snacks/cooler.

To stay awake/alert I eat spits aka sunflower seeds and spit them into a bottle. Or I'll call a friend/family member if DS naps to pass the time.

Wakita46

Mar 15, 2013
I drive by myself so I got satellite radio. I can switch from mixed channels to Elvis to classical to channels for 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc to blue grass to comedy channels. It helps keep me awake but if I really have trouble I have to pull over and take a nap. I have taken 10 minute naps at rest stops, parking lots or in one case ( in the middle of nowhere) - on the shoulder of an off ramp.

dcbain

Apr 28, 2014
We - the memsahib, the DD and I - usually sit with our own thoughts. We can drive for hours and hardly say a word. DD watches films on her phone, we in the front seats sometimes listen to mp3s but I like to hear what's going on in the engine room - our 5 cylinder Alfa Romeo makes its own music!

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
We talk about stuff that we plan to do and have done and things in life. By far driving gives my wife and I the most quality time together to just talk. We also listen to music as a family and books or "radio" drama on CDs. The time actually passes very quickly driving.

jjg

Jun 20, 2013
Dont know what its called but kids play if you go over a bridge you hold your breath or you drown, lift up your feet if you go over a railroad track or they get cut off, and duck going under an overpass or your head gets chopped off. I remember playing this on trips to the grandparents house.

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
We also watch for campers on the road, have kept a running tally, but have never kept score, each person calling out as they see a Pup, 5er, TT or Mo Ho. We have done this for years. When we see a Pup, some one always shouts out, "Raise the Roof" while pumping her flat hand up and down, imitating the popping up action. Okay, that someone is usually me. But then I do have fun. :)

We also call out the states on the plates, names on water towers and other such things to keep things interesting. My family will do anything to keep me from singing along to the radio. LOL

mckeapc67

Feb 22, 2011
DW and I are usually checking out the scenery.

When we can get everyone interested enough, we'll play road games.

I hate to admit it, but the kids have their ear phones on listening to iPods or watching movies. They just don't seem to appreciate the scenery as much and it keeps them entertained.

MikesRaleigh

Feb 2, 2013
We like to play the License Plate game. My daughter has a board with all of the states in the US, and when you find the state you get to flip it. Try to see how many we can find on 1 trip. As an added bonus, it has all of the State Capitals on one side, so we get to learn/refresh on those as well. The kids all pack their own "car bag", which has whatever they want to do..books, crafts, coloring, music, etc. We only allow the DVD player in the car on long trips, like our 12 hr drive to NY, so they consider it a treat when they get it.

tconroy

Super Active Member
Apr 25, 2013
Watch all the monster rigs and 5th wheels going the opposite direction and wonder where they are coming from and how they would ever park that thing where I can get my pup. [:D]

scubacamper

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
This is involved so sit back and I'll relate what we do on a long trip whether it's with or w/o the PUP. When we drive to PA, like I'm about to do solo, my DD's will be glued to their respective DVD's and my DW to her Tablet. Oh we do talk and the we play "who is quiet the longest" with the girls (Mommy usually loses). Whereas on most any trip including these I'm the one counting license plates from different states realizing from here to PA it's a minimum of 7.

Our DD's also play a game of auto colors. We each pick a color and from one stop to another, either gas or restroom, they count, with our help how many of each color vehicle they see. When we stop the winner gets to name the next game or change their color if they desire.

Then there's the ever popular book on tape (my 03 Santa Fe has both tape and CD) and if we travel at night which is my preference once they all crash i put on talk radio for the next several hours.