What does the battery actually do?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Toni Arnold, Jan 2, 2021.

1. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

TV =Tow vehicle

Susan Premo likes this.
  2. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Active Member

I'm sorry, you meant tow vehicle, I hope you had a good laugh, I did!

3. Susan Premo

4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I am not sure we had a communication. There is a wire harness on the camper that plugs into the socket on the TV. They come in 7 pin and 4 pin aka 7 wire or 4 wire. A 7 wire has a round plug and the 4 wire has a flat connector. Which do you have?

@DiamondGirl Didnt classics after 2010 have brakes?

Still recovering from staying up on Monday night.<GG>>

DiamondGirl and Susan Premo like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Look under the camper, at the inside of the wheel. If you can see through the wheel, you don't have brakes. If you do have brakes, there will be a brake assembly mounted to a flat flange on the axle. A blue wire should enter the brake assembly to activate the brake magnet. Having a 7 pin connector does not mean you have brakes. Any one can add a 7 pin connector to charge the battery, add reverse lights, etc. and still not have brakes.

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Aliner adventures in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Econ... My 2013 Classic does. It’s on the right side of the Aframe/tongue.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

7. Susan Premo

Thanks, I'll have to check on that. Appreciated.

8. Susan Premo

Mines a 2011, I'm hoping I do too, we will check on it. Glad you do.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. Susan Premo

I'll be up late tonight, making braised short ribs, but in the middle of it, we went out for a walk, weathers nice, 36degrees! Now they cook for 4 hours, then .......

DiamondGirl likes this.
  10. Susan Premo

We have a 7 pin aliner, 2011. I'm going to look under it at the tire area like Diamond girl suggested. I'll know soon. I'll tell ya, I feel like we should just keep tenting.

11. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Aliner adventures in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Susan Premo...

Don’t get discouraged. After some trips or so... You’ll be a PRO. And one day, you’ll be on the forum passing helpful advice to future new Aliner owners.

Once you get to enjoy your Aliner, you’ll never want to go back to a tent. I sleep like a Queen in my Classic. A queen mattress with a memory foam mattress topper and high thread count sheets. So comfy. It makes camping more enjoyable and makes you want to camping longer.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Econ and Susan Premo like this.
  12. Susan Premo

Thank you, you're sweet. So about the memory foam, where should I look to buy, if need be? And, now that we're retired, and can actually afford higher thread count sheets, what thread count do you suggest? We were inside sweetpea today, and tried to get the old bulbs out of the light fixtures, some kind soul told in pictures how to get them out, geez, what a hassle. We will be replacing with LEDS. They're a real b %&<@h to to get out. I brought in a pretty quilt, and our new shower tent, it's all coming together. With the folks on here, I feel that it's going to be a wonderful experience. I am so looking forward to this. Thanks again.❤

Whitney Hubert likes this.
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If your battery powers the jack then it will power the lights. No need to bring the battery to the auto part store. You must either have a blown fuse or there is a switch somewhere for the lights to run on battery.

Toni Arnold likes this.
  14. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

break away switch?

15. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

There is a learning curve to everything

Susan Premo likes this.
  16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Susan Premo - we have bought memory foam locally as well as online, eBay and Amazon. Make sure you check how much space you have to work with when the camper is closed before buying it. ("kleenex box test")
    Sheets are going to be personal preference. We use flannel year round,a t home and int he camper. We have LL Bean flannel, we buy just flat sheets for the camper, it makes things easier with the odd sized mattress. A bunch of the Retro-owners have gone to using Beddys, they say they make things easier yet. Not in the type of bedding we like, so we're sticking to our current set up. Flannel sheets, one or another blanket, depending on the weather, and one or another of the quilts I've made for the camper.
    Figuring out how the bulbs go in the light fixtures you have can be interesting. I can't reach most of ours (the ones we had in the popup or TT) easily, nor focus on them with progressive lenses. In the TT, there's one under the upper kitchen cupboard, that was fun to deal with.
    It is always a learning curve. We had to adjust every time we changed tents, then again with the 2 popups, and now with the TT. We've had the TT for 6 years, and we've still been fine-tuning how we have things set-up. Once we get to camp this year, we'll be figuring out how to best use our new shade structure; the ones we had for probably 10 years wore out Thanksgiving '19 (well, shredded in a windstorm before we could get them down). We had the new one up for a few days on one trip in '20, but we need to adjust to having just the one space. We had two of the others, which made for flexibility.

Susan Premo likes this.
  17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

As I remember the story, you have a new to you Classic and are wondering if it has brakes. I dont think you have been camping in it. If you dont know if you have brakes that means you havent torn down the hubs. When I bought my used Expedition I checked it as well as possible for the 300 mile drive home. When I got it home I checked the age of the tires. There are a thousand you tube videos on this and 100,000 religious opinions on how old is the maximum age.

Next I replaced the wheel bearings, seals and checked the brakes to establish a basis. Glad I did as the previous owner had never torn them down and regreased them via the Dexter's version of a bearing buddy. The grease blew past the seals and the interior of the hub was coated in cooked grease. This meant brakes didnt work.

There is a 99.9% chance that your brakes are MANUALLY adjusted. Brake shoes wear and have to be manually adjusted. Yes, own a camper and return to the 1960's <GG>.

PS, check your water level in the battery once a month if it is a FLA.

Susan Premo likes this.
  18. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold Active Member

My son was saying there must be a connection from the lights to the battery somewhere that's not connected. If a fuse is blown, wouldn't the lights not work at all regardless if I'm plugged into the house power or not?

19. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I would expect a fuse or circuit breaker on the positive wire at the battery, separate from the one for your tongue jack. Do any of the 12 volt items inside the camper, heater, fridge, etc. work?

Toni Arnold likes this.
  20. Susan Premo

I love flannel sheets too, I was wondering about all Beans, so I think I'll try them, thanks for all your great info.