What else do I need to do to my Honda Odyssey 2006?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by barrientosbunch, Mar 4, 2019.

1. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

We are picking up our 1998 Starcraft SpaceMaster with A/C this weekend. We've done a few things to the TV (2006 Honda Odyssey) including changing the shocks, installing the towing package, and will add the electric break system to the TV this week. Do I need airbags now, or should we wait to see how it handles on the road first?
    Thanks for any expertise!

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you’re in good shape. I’d hold off on the airbags (or Timbrens) until you see how it tows.

barrientosbunch likes this.
  3. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Check the height of the rear fender from the ground regular and with the camper hitched up to the hitch. If it drops down too low, you should add the air bags. If not, watch the weight you put in the back of the van and you should be good to go.

4. gec66

gec66 Active Member

You definitely want a transmission cooler and I would switch the trans fluid to Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic. My choice of trans cooler is the Tru-Cool 4454 for it's capacity as well as the cold fluid bypass feature that allows the trans to still reach operating temp in cold weather/non-towing situations. The trans fluid change is a fairly simple DIY and there are videos on youtube if needed. The '06 transmission was the last of the known weak transmissions know for premature failure. From mid-model year 2004 to 2006 there were tweaks made to improve the situation, but it's still wise to take the precaution of adding a cooler and using synthetic fluid.

5. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Looks to be around 2k Dry for the Spacemaster. Perhaps 250 tongue weight max. If the shocks are new you should be ok. You may want to add them later, but its not going to hurt anything right now.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

You should be okay to pick it up. But you may find it drops down to much for future towing. I think the issue will be hitch to ground clearance when you load up the van and camper.

7. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Just yesterday I put six 40 pound bags of wood pellets in the back of my 2006 Oddy and the hitch dropped a good 3 inches. New springs maybe, air bags definitely.

8. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Done!

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

At the same time.. check the front center top wheel well to ground and see how much it rises when the trailer is loaded ready to camp.. If the height changes by more then a couple inches.. you need a WDH ..

10. p

p Active Member

WDH - not with most tent trailers

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If the front of his van raises more then 2 inches he does.. or a much lighter trailer ...

Note on using a WDH. Not all trailers or vehicles can use a WDH, so do your homework.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  12. gec66

gec66 Active Member

So on the subject of the WDH, what is the dry weight of that pup? Mine is ~2700 lbs and loaded to camp with the front storage the tongue weight is 450 lbs. There is no way to avoid the WDH for me, but my pup's frame is built for it. With the age of your van new rear springs and shocks (the springs carry the weight, the shocks only control the bounce) are definitely a good idea and or maybe air bags instead of new springs if you are going to load much gear in the rear of the van.

13. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

@gec66
    450 lbs... wow, did you measure that on a scale. That makes me worry mine might be that high as well.

Also what WDH did you use.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Air bags are great for lifting the rear up. But they don't lighten the load on the rear tires or, more importantly, put weight back on the front. Personally, I'd get the camper home and see how it looks. Take measurements of wheel well height before and after hooking up. Make your decision from there. No sense spending money and worry unnecessarily.
    I tow a 6500lb hybrid with a 5400lb SUV. I've towed with and without a WDH. Never again without it. The steering felt too light and disconnected. I also inflate my rear tires to 45psi (51psi max). The rear feels more solid.
    You'll find out what works for you and what doesn't or what isn't necessary. Just do your homework. Is the hitch capable of a WDH, is the camper? things like that.

15. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Yes I checked it, but some of that is due to items loaded into the front storage. It is cavernous and very handy, but that comes at a weight price. I would have tried harder to limit it, but with the WDH taking care of it I didn't worry about it.

The WDH is in my signature, the Reese 66069 400 lb single bar. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. I chose it specifically for the relatively simple set up and hook up. It can also be adjusted on the fly because of the chain link torsion bar style where the fixed bracket style is a real pain to adjust if the way you are loaded changes. Keep in mind that many pups are not WDH compatible. The A-frame of the tongue needs to be strong enough and that usually means it needs to be "boxed in", not an open "C" channel.

What is your TV?

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If you are looking at WDH, check with the manufacture to make sure the trailer can handle one. I know my starcraft the manufacture said dont use them. There have been people that used WDH on pups and bent the pup frame. I think the key is you need a full boxed frame, where most pops have a C-channel frame.

Other options might be air shocks if they are available. I could not find any for my sienna so I went to airbags. But I would rather have air shocks because they more quite.

Also make sure you have a tow package on you van or add a large double stack trans cooler. As mentioned, change the trans fluid.