What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We've been using a queen size air mattress for years now and for quite a few of those years had the kind that was on a folding frame, so the height of a regular bed. One of the reasons I was ready to move from tent to a pup was not being able to always put the tent on level ground. There is simply no way to get comfortable when you are "drifting" downhill all night.

clif and sandra and Pommom70 like this.
  2. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

Ours was a very cold, very wet night. Drove up the Poudre Canyon, pitched our tent and attended a show at the Mishawaka. Started raining half way through the show. We didn't mind cause we were having a blast. When we got back to our campsite we noticed that our rain fly on the tent had blown off to the side :/ Upon inspection of the inside of our tent, we realized there was about 3 inches of water :( Flipped the air mattress hoping we could just dry off the other side. Didnt work out considering our sleeping bags were drenched. Hubby ended up staying up all night by the fire while i attempted to sleep in the back seat of our tiny '01 Subaru outback. Got little to no sleep. In the morning, being as grumpy as one can get, i said, "f**k this we're getting a camper." Hahaha. The season ended, we bought an SUV and an adorable fixer upper PUP.
    Come Monday it'll be our first trip in the PUP. Cant wait!!!!!

3. HappyTraveler

Have FUN!

mrs.a.reynolds likes this.
  4. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

Thanks!!! Super stoked!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

enjoy your trip!

mrs.a.reynolds likes this.
  6. mrs.a.reynolds

mrs.a.reynolds Member

Thanks! We had a blast! And guess what? It rained hahahaha!!

7. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Sleeping on the cold ground during rain with my wife and kids. We were not getting any younger and my FIL offered us a great deal on the popup that he had purchased new in 1973 and they had taken it all over and it was in pretty good shape and he knew everything about it and how the unit was maintained. Best money spent for my family and we created a lot of memories in it.

8. FamilyMank

FamilyMank New Member

It wasn't so much a camping moment, as it was a body failing moment. Setting up a tent (one that is a size I can go into without feeling claustrophobic) had started to prove too rough on my joints and muscles. The pup is easier on my body.

HappyTraveler, Lebowski16 and Orchid like this.
  9. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 New Member

The last music festival we went to when it downpoured.. Tent was set up. mud everywhere. What a mess! So thankful to not be sleeping on the ground anymore! Our pop up has an issue every time we open it but it's still better than sleeping on the ground and we plan on a major pop up upgrade after next summer.

DJS12354, HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  10. Buzzard42

Buzzard42 New Member

Two events the same season. My year of the mini dome tent.

The first event was May in central Iowa. It was hot, really HOT. Didn't cool down under 90 degrees until after midnight. And with the cover over the netting, hot air stayed in the tent. Finally fell asleep around 2am. I woke around 6am to see 1/2 dozen ticks on the netting and a couple very large spiders.

The second event was July in central Minnesota. Nature is calling. I unzip the tent and begin to crawl on hands and knees out the opening. My upper half is outside. My inner half is inside and suddenly both legs cramp at the same time. Had to fight through the cramps to get outside and back on my feet just to relieve myself.

At that point, enough was enough. Get yourself off the ground!!!

Orchid, HappyTraveler and Dback2k4 like this.
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

As an Iowa resident, been there done that!!

12. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

My wife refused to tent camp in the heat. That was probably the biggest motivator to get the pup.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  13. HappyTraveler

Yep!
    Welcome to the Portal!

14. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

For us it was Old Age! and our tent bit the dust. Having to choose between buying a new tent or a popup... i took the expensive and more comfy route and bought the popup.:)

15. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers New Member

I'd like to chime in that we don't intend to give up tent camping. My wife and I love the outdoors and we're raising our 7- and 9-y/o's accordingly. They're all in scouts and those group camping trips are tents.

But, as a family, our goal is to camp all 50 states, and that's where the PUP comes in. We took a Vegas to Utah-Idaho-Wyoming trip a couple years ago, with a new campsite every night. That's where we realized that we could get more road time and more destination time by not having to completely strike camp every morning. So, for the longer trips, we will ABSOLUTELY be PUPping it. =]

16. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Hurricane Isaac. Well, he contributed. Labor Day 2012, we were camping at Illini State Park. Rain all weekend (from said hurricane - it had moved from the Gulf, and came up to Chicago for a couple days). Tent that our friends had leaked like a sieve - they poured water out of their gear that was inside, off the ground. Ours didn't leak - but only because we had a 10x20 tarp over it. but it came from underneath. Spent an entire day in a local laundromat drying our clothes. Daughter got violently ill in her sleeping bag. DW took her to the CG shower to clean her up (with cold water, of course), while I cleaned out the sleeping bag. Couldn't keep a fire going to save our lives, or dry anything off. And DW ended up sleeping (well, resting quietly) in the back of our station wagon. We ended up leaving a day early on that 3 day weekend. It takes an awful lot for me to give up when camping, but that trip did it. It just wore me out. I just wasn't gonna power through that much disaster. Murphy won that round.

Took a couple more years before we bought our first pup, and the life had gone out of camping until we got Mabel (our Jayco). Since then (2015), we've been happily camping as much as we can - which isn't as much as I'd like, but you know - life gets in the way.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Exact same thing happened January 2019 scout trip. We were lucky, I knew they were calling for a bad storm so I took precaution and tarped over the tent. I keep gear, especially clothing, in plastic totes when tent camping. My grandson and I were sleeping on an air mattress so the only thing that got wet was the edges of our bedding.