What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I'm the camp coordinator for our Cub Pack. I did not know about the Polar Bear Patch :) Our Cub Pack was snowed out of our Spring camp trip. Have to let the Pack Leader know we can still go, and get a patch :)

You almost are describing my son and I's camp gear for Cub Scouts. We have the Coleman Cabin 4P, which nicely accommodates us and gear. I throw a thick stadium blanket on the tent floor, that and egg crate foam on the air mattress keeps us toasty :)

I have prided myself in getting all our gear in the 5' truck bed - nothing sticking up. I have a large Rubbermaid outdoor container that I toss things in, and coolers - don't have to worry about rain and the open truck bed.

I do pull a Cub Scout cargo camp trailer. I'm the camp cook too. So I've organized and set the trailer up to handle 150 (Cubs and parents) campers for a weekend outing :)

The kids (daughter 11 and son 9) and I camp as often as possible. I like the ease of loading the Rubbermaid container and coolers, and taking off. Love outdoor cooking, and tent camping - so not there yet on getting a PUP :)

FARfetched likes this.
  2. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

A baby, and all of us waking up in the middle of a deflating air mattress taco at 3am, and couldn't stop laughing because it was so ridiculous!! First night in a camper we couldn't believe how comfortable, dry and spacious it was....

3. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

When my knees said " No mas!"....no more!....built a teardrop, then got a pup 8 ft Coleman Destiny. Then a small travel trailer, sold all, now just got a used Aliner pop up.

shuang2 likes this.
  4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

It was camping with the scouts that did me in. 4-5 weekend campouts in a row, it was pouring and my tent was leaking. But really it was the thought of tent camping my way to Oregon, just me and the kids that convinced me to seriously look into PUPs.

5. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

the freaking constant deflated air matress!

Dback2k4 likes this.
  6. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I would definitely have to agree with the deflated air matresses! Also the amount of work that goes into tent camping. The time spent to setup camp takes a while. If you pack up wet, you then have to go home and dry everything out again by setting it all up! After a tenting trip in the rain I realized that so much of the time was spent just setting up. The PUP has made it a much more easy and enjoyable experience while still giving you the experience of being outside.

7. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

Some (but not all) of these posts are what you would expect from the title's question. Some negative event drove you out of the tent work in to the pop up world. However, for me it was just the opposite. I always knew I wanted to get my family in to camping, and a camper of sorts would be in the works. However, it was an awesome camping weekend that made me decided that a pop up was right for us. We had planned out a trip for a long while, and as it approached so did the chance of bad weather.. But we decided to brave it out. We got to the campground and it was awesome, and was really geared towards the kids. We dropped the bikes off the rack, and told the older two to keep an eye out for the little one, but to stay in eye/ear shot of the campsite. My wife and I worked in tandem to set up the tent (which usually involves me using Colorful language) and then a pretty awesome rain deterrent system to keep us dry. Then the normal campsite. Then we ventured out to find our crew. We found them buddied up with several other kids near the playground, and thier independence and free will was on full display. It was pretty eye opening how much they had grown and were independent of us. We had a blast that weekend, some friends joined us the next day with a 33' camper, and I would have just as much chosen the tent over that luxurious thing, but to each thier own. That weekend was one of the most fun, and if we were going to involve the pups then it was a foregone conclusion that a pop up was in our future.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  8. Dkonesh

Dkonesh New Member

The wife and I tented for years together, no issues and have a nice tent set up still. The event that did it for both of us to invest in a trailer was a late June week long trip. Overcast all week until the weekend when temperatures went below the freezing mark and we were frozen stiff all night (even with multiple layers and a subzero blanket ). Tented once more that year then bought a pup early last year. First trip I felt like a king being off the ground! Even more so this year when we can begin family camping with our new daughter :).

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  9. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Just FWIW, a Portable Buddy heater works great in a tent too!. Not trying to dissuade you from doing the PU thing, I personally think they are awesome, but nothing wrong per se with tenting. Think about it, a PU is sort of a hybrid between a TT and a tent anyway...

I have in the past, with no hesitation, used Portable Buddy heaters, as well as old Coleman white gas heaters (started outside of course) to keep larger tents plenty warm. Heat up a hot water bottle to keep in the sleeping bag with you, and you are good to go. Having said that, this Polar Vortex thing going on in the upper midwest right now is brutal and I wouldn't want to be there even in a heated building. I saw a report this morning I think in Minneapolis of something like -65 deg F. Colder than the north pole. How the heck does that happen? But I digress.

Mind you, I am no midwest cold camping sort of expert. The coldest I have camped in was in the 80s in Oregon with my uncle on elk hunting trips when I was young. Probably the coldest overnight we got to was around zero deg F. We'd set up a good size, but not huge tent, staked out with plenty of ventilation. Would sleep in long johns, with socks, a 30 degree sleeping bag, and a couple of wool blankets over, and under the sleeping bag. Don't use an air mattress because they are nothing but huge heat sinks and suck heat away from the body. We used canvas army cots with foam pads for cushion and insulation. Right before bed, we would heat up water for hot water bottles that went into the toe area of the sleeping bag, and an old Coleman white gas catalytic heater would get warmed up outside, and brought into the tent and everything flamable was kept well away from it. By the time tossing and turning was done, the wool blankets on top got slid to the side, and the zipper was opened on the sleeping bag, as the night went on, zippers would get zipped up, and heads ducked under the sleeping bag...

Arlyn Aronson and Dkonesh like this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

There are lots and lots of Mr Buddy heater fans here. We're cool here today. Should I bring Mr Buddy in from the camper?? [8D]

11. woodentoy

woodentoy New Member

If there is electricity available an electric ceramic heater works great in a tent also.

dbhost and Dkonesh like this.
  12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

It was that repeated event that drove me to the cot, which after the dog knocking me over led to the pop-up where he got his own bunk!!

13. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I use a couple of those in early spring and late fall with the pup if I have electric hookups and I'm not boondocking to save on LP

14. Dkonesh

Dkonesh New Member

This is what we use! Wife won't boondock so we always have electricity. We have a little 1500w ceramic heater that does an awesome job at heating the trailer on those cold Canadian nights lol.

15. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Okay I gotta know. How was the dog able to knock you off of a cot?

16. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Yep. Power available + cold nights = ceramic safety space heater.

Right now, Amazon has a little 1500 watt oscillating ceramic heater for $28.99 on sale which is an absolute steal! We had one of these for my late father in laws trailer to keep it warm. (30' TT) and it did the job and then some. It's got a thermostat so you don't get too hot, tip over protection in case you, or the dog knock it over in the middle of the night. Pretty nice little heater!

Mind you, if you are off grid, running off of solar, or generator, don't bother. 1500 watts is kind of a lot of power. You'll suck batteries down in a huge hurry, or drink gas running the generator all night. Better off with a Mr Heater Portable Buddy heater.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  17. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

I've seen the reports. Do you need to ask? Those negative numbers are STEEP!

18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

The campsite I had that trip was on a slope, and he jumped up on the thing in the middle of the night just right to tip it over and send us both crashing to the ground.

19. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I live in Davenport, Iowa. We've got about -15 right now going down to -25 tonight. Wind chills are worse. It's not as end of the world as everyone makes it sound. Some businesses are closed, mail delivery is halted. Cars start hard, diesels don't start at all without significant help. We'll be back above freezing by Friday. It's the Midwest, we're a hearty people, lol

HappyTraveler likes this.
  20. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Apropos of nothing, in college I had a gf who lived in Bettendorf. Her family's house was across the road from the river.

Temps bounced back pretty quick on Planet Georgia… we're supposed to get into the 60s tomorrow and maybe touch 70 next week. I'm trying to get the NTU pup up to the driveway so my grandson & I can have an overnight tomorrow, and I can do a couple of needed maintenance/repair things.