What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. Tmackcj5

Tmackcj5 Member

First camping trip with our first born. He was 1 and for whatever reason the tent terrified him at night. Only at night... so after two sleepless nights we called the trip a day short. We enjoy camping and figured a pup would open up more of the year for us to camp as well (Texas heat).

2. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I grew up camping in tents and introduced my wife to camping and for the next 13 years we had a tent which over the years got progressively larger. One trip near the rain forest in the Olympic Nat Park we got so rained out we had a inch of water under our air mattress, everything was damp we were miserable. My wife and I along with our young son sat in the truck with the heater blasting waiting for the rain to stop, it didn't. I got out and rolled the tent and sleeping bags into a big ball and shoved them into the bed of the truck. It was on that drive home I decided there had to be something better. We bought a tent trailer the following year and for the next 13 years we were popup campers starting with a small 10 foot box and ending with a 12 foot box with slide out, hot water, shower and cassette toilet, camping life was good.

3. BedHead

BedHead Member

A progression of zippers breaking, air mattresses deflating, floods flooding, poles being lost, and flies flying away. I will tent in my back yard now but that’s about it.

4. Garrity

Garrity Member

Our good friend got one and let us borrow theirs. We bought one 3 months later lol

5. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Most trips over 3 years, that all had at least 1 major down pour (if not more). Took home wet and dirty rain fly, tent and tarp to open them up, spray both sides to clean them off, let that side dry turn it over to let the other side dry, set up the tent and do the same. On the last trip I did as ASLAG did and balled it up and threw it in. Next tax return I purchased a beat up pop with many issues but beat the tent, hands down!

6. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

My husband wouldn't camp for years because he didn't like laying on the ground so I bought him one of those raised air mattresses which we used for our 2 week trip into Quebec a couple of years ago.
    Two years we went east (about 4500km round trip) It was an awesome experience but set up and tear down and the juggling of all the stuff got to be tiresome - and we were probably stretching the limits of the van's carrying capacity with the rooftop carrier, 3 or 4 teens plus a puppy.
    On both the Quebec and East Coast trips we ended up spending one night sleeping in the van it was pouring rain and windy when we arrived for set up.
    We also wanted to take bikes and kayaks but there was no way to make that work.
    When we knew we were going to go west the last summer (15,000 kms round trip) we started looking for a pop up which would get us up off the ground, give us a bit more warmth in the mountains and protection from the rain, and would allow us to take the bikes and kayaks.
    The west coast road trip was our first trip out - we didn't even driveway camp - and it was awesome. I loved not having our van stuffed to the gills with everything and set up and tear down only takes us about 25 to 30 minutes if the kids are on it plus we can take the bikes and kayaks.

woodentoy likes this.
  7. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

My husband wouldn't camp for years because he didn't like laying on the ground so I bought him one of those raised air mattresses which we used for our 2 week trip into Quebec a couple of years ago.
    Two years ago we went east (about 4500km round trip) It was an awesome experience but set up and tear down and the juggling of all the stuff got to be tiresome - and we were probably stretching the limits of the van's carrying capacity with the rooftop carrier, 3 or 4 teens plus a puppy.
    On both the Quebec and East Coast trips we ended up spending one night sleeping in the van it was pouring rain and windy when we arrived for set up.
    We also wanted to take bikes and kayaks but there was no way to make that work.
    When we knew we were going to go west the last summer (15,000 kms round trip) we started looking for a pop up which would get us up off the ground, give us a bit more warmth in the mountains and protection from the rain, and would allow us to take the bikes and kayaks.
    The west coast road trip was our first trip out - we didn't even driveway camp - and it was awesome. I loved not having our van stuffed to the gills with everything and set up and tear down only takes us about 25 to 30 minutes if the kids are on it plus we can take the bikes and kayaks.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    eoleson1 likes this.
  8. katja kortig

katja kortig New Member

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I grew up tent camping with my family. Bought a tent on clearance at Kmart 30+ years ago and took the family for our first camping trip to Acadia NP. Rained pretty much the whole time and saw tents and sleeping bags tossed in the garbage in the cg, but not us. Thankfully, my other half likes camping and we continued with all three sons and boy scouting and now empty nest.
    What is pushing us to move to a pup is age and extended camping. We are retired now, and so take off to warmer places for 5-6 weeks in the middle of winter. Noticed this year that our sites were not level at all and that caused us to "drift" towards the low end of the bed in the tent. Not very conducive to getting a good nights' sleep. With a pup, leveling the camper would help with this. Also, want to be able to camp in colder areas easier.
    Finally, looking forward to having the camping stuff stored in the camper and not having to pack the camping stuff every time.
    So yeah, all the advantages of tent camping without the disadvantages.

Nani2 likes this.
  10. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

We had not been out camping since the kid was 6 months old- that was 2.5 yrs ago!! She hated gathering everything up, sleeping on the ground... you know- camping! Told me a pup would solve all that. So... guess my next move ;)

Redbird234 and HappyTraveler like this.
  11. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

The wife and I both grew up in the country and spent a lot of time outdoors. We thought camping and sleeping in a tent would certainly better than the back of an open pickup truck under the stars with the bugs. We thought the tent was a great idea and using a campground with water, a picnic table and fire ring was just perfect. Unless it rained, and it did, alot. So that was the first and last time we did that. Then we got the idea that sleeping in our boat would be fun and dry. And it had a porta potti too. The cabin was big enough to sleep three, so room was no problem, even Zelda our poodle had room. And we would cook out on deck. On our third foray on the water it rained, the rain was no problem by itself. But the Gulf wind was driving waves that were washing up and over the hatch that was over our feet as the tension on the bow line was causing the bow to drop under and through the 3-4 ft waves. Of course when woken in the middle of the night by wet feet and at first not really understanding why, it gave both of us quite a start. The only solution at that point was starting the motor to take the tension off the bow anchor line. So at 3:00 AM with the channel marker light blinking red on the horizon with the rain sweeping over the deck we pulled the anchor and I began chugging slowly forward keeping the bow into the waves and running up and over them. As soon as we had enough light, about 5:30 AM, we headed south for the channel and back down the Homassa River for safer calmer water. So boat camping did not turn out turn out well either. OK, I know what you are thinking, but this all happened before the Weather Channel was even thought of. A few years later, now with two daughters, we made the Pup decision. I still don't like rain when I am camping.

Redbird234 likes this.
  12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

air mattress leak events went up for no particular reason; then we ran into high wind (and sand) situations, and we would like a nicer base camp. We will still tent camp if we have to.

13. ehtisham

ehtisham New Member

Mine was a steady progression for a while, but the "I've had it moment" was after 2 back-to-back trips. The first weekend an unexpected storm brewed up and I woke up in the middle of the night to a river flowing under my tent which soaked my duffel bag and all my formerly dry clothes. Packed up the next morning in PJs and went home. The second weekend promised drier weather, so I went out again. This time, my 40lb dog decided in the dead of the night that he didn't want to sleep on the ground beside me and was going to climb up on the cot with me. He tipped the thing over and we both went crashing to the ground.

I started researching pop-up trailers the next day....

Redbird234 likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Been there, now when I tent camp with the scouts everything that can't get wet is stored in plastic totes inside the tent.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Plastic totes saved me too. Also when our boys were in Scouting I got my first cot. Just getting up off the ground made a huge difference with not caring as much about water on the ground.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We use those Rubbermaid made Roughneck totes. We tried other brands and they've broke on us left and right. To stiff of a plastic?

You can put the lids on them when you leave camp and the chipmunks can't get into your food and of course, its rain and wind proof. We've use some Roughneck totes for well over 20 years and they still work fine. Good figure!
    51PsF0R1HKL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  17. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

It was actually our love of camping that drove us into the pop up. See, if you want to camp in the Colorado mountains with children, and NOT freeze your backside off, you can only camp in July.

We moved into the pop up to extend our camping season by a few months, then into the hybrid to extend by a few months more. Now we are in a TT, and can pretty much go whenever we want.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    HappyTraveler and Tulip like this.
  18. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

Labor Day 2016 we had a bear encounter within 25 feet of our tent at 3 o'clock in the morning and my wife finally said enough camping in a tent. She is wanting to go to a TT now.

Rik Peery and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

We weren't actually 'for sure' planning on buying a PUP this year. I mean we had always been looking out for something that fit our budget but everything was so expensive. We had even bought a cabin tent last year thinking it would still be a ways off but our neighbors had bought this PUP used and found it was too much for them to put up and waned something nicer so they put it up for sale. When we saw the sign we thought we'd take a look and didn't find it to be in half bad condition and jumped on it.
    We began camping in 2005. The first couple of years we had nice weather, then we went for a stint where it seemed to rain almost every time we went out. Friends even joked that they wouldn't camp with us anymore because of he black rain clouds over our heads, lol. We survived storm warnings with winds and torrential downpours, thunder and lightning and branches falling around us. Wet tent and clothes, pooling around our site and even had to dig a little trench around out tent to try to divert water away. So many wet and muddy memories....lol
    The last couple of years though we've been feeling our age (and bit of weight gain, lol.) No matter the blow up mattresses we've tried, they just aren't comfortable. It's annoying rolling in and out of bed and getting undressed and dressed in a tent, even with the head room we have. Blowing up and arranging the mattresses and sleeping bags, stepping over things ect.
    We slept in my brother-in-law's PUP last summer for a couple of nights while he and his family slept in a cottage and it solidified the idea that it was something we didn't just want, but felt we were at the point we needed for that extra comfort, and dryness for sleeping and moving around as well as a dining table in a clean dry area for games and such. And to finally have better storage and organizing options. Being OFF the ground. And it will be so much easier for our furry pup.
    We can't wait to go out for the first time!

indieiggy and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. CrystalStarr

CrystalStarr New Member

I got very very very tired of having to get dressed, unzip the tent door, walk to the bathroom, and walk back. Often twice a night! It meant I'd be wide awake for a while. I just didn't sleep when we camped. Plus hauling all of the gear from the basement to our kitchen, from the kitchen to our driveway, from our driveway Tetris style into our SUV and roof carrier... and the reverse order at home. It was SUCH A PAIN. We didn't go as often as we wanted.

I do have a funny story that lent to our pop up purchase. One night in the middle of the night I hear a girl behind my tent in the woods SCREAMING bloody murder. Then I hear someone being slapped hard. I shook my husband and told him someone was hurting a girl he needed to go help her. So my husband leaps out of the tent to go help some poor girl. My two oldest boys slept in a separate tent right next to ours. They were I want to say 8 and 10 at the time. As it turns out there was no girl in the woods behind us. My oldest son was thought a skunk was trying to come into the tent. So he was screaming and smacking his little brother in the face to wake him up. We had seen a few around at dusk that night. I'll never know if there really was some sort of creature scratching at his tent or if he was dreaming. But I knew he'd never sleep in a tent at that particular campground again. I'll never forget that story. I'm going to tell hit at his wedding someday.

RollTide30, HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.