What final tent-camping event drove you into a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dback2k4, May 2, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Other than the rooftop carrier, I can identify with every word of this post! We had a huge G30 van when the the kids were growing up, so plenty of room to pack inside, but still had to be done in an organized fashion, since we had 4, sometimes 5 kids.

BUT, the biggest problem was needing the potty several times a night. I have nearly peed myself so many times, and actually did once. [LOL] And falling back to sleep ... forget it! I spent every camping trip completely sleep deprived.

A bathroom in our pup is the BEST thing ever!! Well, that and air conditioning. Both give me the good night's sleep I need and make my camping experience a million times better!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. M-88

M-88 Member

Woke up one night and everything was soaked. Heavy rain caused our camp site to flood overnight. Never again. The people on the site across the road from us had MORE water but they were nice and dry because they were farther off the ground.

Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  3. BigAl

BigAl Member

My wife and I got tired of having sore backs and necks for a week after a weekend of tent camping. Plus friends of ours have a PUP; after camping with them a few times plus talking to them about what they paid for it, we decided to start watching Craigslist and RV Trader for deals. 9 months later we found one we liked and bought it!

Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Woodfaerie

Woodfaerie New Member

The rain curse.

mrs.a.reynolds and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Aww, but that's where the best camping stories come from!
    Looking back, whenever we talk about past camping trips, the ones that involve a story usually have to do with weather. ;)
    I totally get where you're coming from, though.

6. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Honestly I'm not sure Im totally hooked on the pup. I like tent camping. When your done it gets rolled up and everything fits on a shelf in the garage. Now I have a beast occupying the driveway that I have to be constantly concerned about. Leaks, mice, etc...

The pup gets moused, you're up a creek... tent gets moused up and you get another. Still cheaper than maintaining the pup.

BigAl likes this.
  7. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

Setting up a tent in the rain ⛺️

mrs.a.reynolds and HappyTraveler like this.
  8. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

My kids actually loved tent camping in the rain. They were warm, dry, and cozy laying in the tent listening to the rain patter on the tarp/rain fly. They still talk about it being the most fun they had when tent camping. We even weathered a severe thunderstorm, with rangers picking up campers to move to a shelter, safe and sound in our tent. What moved us to a pop up though was 2 years in a row we camped in 100 degree heat index. Trying to keep the kids alive in the brutal heat was really stressful so we had enough and we went out and got a pop-up with AC!

HappyTraveler and Milemaker13 like this.
  9. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

The joke with our Cub Scout Pack: "If you're in need of rain, hire us to come camp, we'll bring all the rain you need!"

After a couple years of pounding rain on our tent, the last camp trip I had some water wicking in. Treated the tent, and back to dry inside. May have to make treating the tent an annual maintenance.

Do you have to water proof treat PUP tent?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@BBQdave yes, pup tenting does require maintenance. Just how often, and which product(s) to use depends on the type of tenting you have.

BBQdave and HappyTraveler like this.
  11. Milemaker13

I completely agree :)

12. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Kinda where I am :)

I believe a PUP has nice amenities, but I would have to store and maintain it. I like my tent, and it's ease of use. The kids love the tent :)

I have worked a lot on simplified storage (bins) with my camp gear. But I still have bins I am loading and unloading. That is the temptation with a PUP, stuff stored in the camper, and I just have to hook up and roll :)

Milemaker13 and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. Milemaker13

Yes and no. Still gotta pack a cooler and/ or turn the fridge on a day early to cool down. Still have to pack clothes and bring all the dirty clothes and dishes in afterward to be cleaned.
    All the forgettable but glad you have it stuff that stays in camper could just go in another tote... unless you forget that tote!

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Cold stuff has to be packed regardless. Non-perishables are stocked prior to first spring trip and maintained throughout the season.
    Dishes, flatware, and pans only come out of the PUP to be used. The PUP has hot and cold running water for that reason.
    Bedding, wash clothes. and towels are dedicated to the PUP. Clothing has to be packed regardless. Depending on time and facilities everything used gets washed at the campsite or when we get home. If we have to wash at home the basket of dirty is just inside the PUP door. I raise the roof a couple inches to open the door and slide it out, wash them and slide them back in and lower the roof.
    Having the PUP also frees up the back of the truck for loading five bicycles.

I enjoy tent camping as well (not as much as before back injury) if it's just the boys and I, but the DQT and DW just "NEED" to much crap. When the boys are done with scouts I plan to donate our tent camping gear to the troop.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  15. Orchid

We just got back from a week of camping.

One night a family of four, with two vehicles, set up next to us. They arrived at about 7:00 pm and set up the same instant screen tent we have. All of their equipment was brand new, right out of the box. Things went less smoothly as they set up their tent, a the couple was not in good humor. It was hot, June in Florida.

Anyway, they set up a very nice site, tablecloth and entire kitchen set up on the picnic table, under the screen tent. Site was set up as if they planned to stay awhile. Got air mattresses blown up and set up the inside of their tent, complete with rugs and such. They opened the windows, and had it lit, so I could see in.

The two kids rode bikes and seemed to be having a great time while their parents set up, what looked to me like, a perfect home site for the week. Unfortunately, by 6:00 am, they were GONE! My husband told me there was no trace of them and I had to look for myself. They were very quiet, as I never heard them leave. We did have the a/c running, so that would have drowned out some sound, but not all.

I wish I knew what happened. Not sure if it was just too hot, if their mattresses went flat, or what the problem was. I know they had planned to stay longer by their set up. I was sad that they were gone and wished I could have done something to help. I hope they don't give up on camping altogether. It seemed it was their first time out, with all the new stuff. Their boys were so happy, they won't be able to play and ride bikes in a hotel.

I hated that they were gone, and hate that they may write off camping all together now. I HOPE they check into campers, especially with a/c for here in Florida, so their kids don't miss out. I wish I could talk to them and let them know how they could buy a pop up for the cost of all that tenting equipment and be so much more comfortable.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We know someone that did that and actually threw the tent in the dumpster, but it wasn't new. They now have a TT they had to have delivered to their house because they had no way to tow it. They now have a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup and happily in debt.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  17. Orchid

I wish I had known, when my kids were growing up, that we didn't have to go into debt to have a comfortable camper. We owned a Chevy G20 van and could have easily hauled a camper. It was pre-internet days and I never realized how cheaply we could have gotten something used.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  18. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

As a number of folks have pointed out, there's nothing wrong with tent camping (if you can accept the negatives). I'm an Eagle Scout, and I've camped just about every way you can (never have, and never will, spend a night in a bivvy bag clipped to a rock face). My folks had an Apache and then a PleasureMate, but I usually slept in my own tent on trips with them.

My family has has a good time in our Eureka Titan, never worrying about rain or wind. Moving to a PUP was never really a priority. In January (2019), we were scheduled to go on a cruise we won from Powerball. Some critical medication was left at home, and there was no way to recover. A friend of mine offered to use some of his Wyndham Resorts points to get us rooms so we could at least vacation until our scheduled flight home. While staying, we agreed to attention their resort presentation.

The DW and I have never really talked about "vacationing". We've never had the means to go anywhere, except "on the cheap", and never considered resort vacations. They ultimately offered us an introductory package that we might be able to pay for, but, really, the process gave us the chance to talk about our vacation preferences. We decided that multiple, inexpensive, trips a year were more to our liking than 1 or 2 expensive ones. DW made the final decision to reject the resort off and continue what we'd been doing.

We went to the Indianapolis Boat, Sport, and Travel show so I could show her a PUP I had been looking at, and, surprise, she let me buy it for a Valentine's Day present. Her only real complaint from tent camping was sleeping in the cold. The PUP has a furnace (right by her bed), and I got her a heated mattress topper along with 2 comforters. We've already used it traveling to Arizona for a photo workshop (3 nights out, 2 at the Grand Canyon, 2 nights back), and 3 nights last week at a state park. We are both quite happy with it, and plan to use it bunches.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  19. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Smiling cause that's my timeline to a possible PUP. I figure tent camping while the kids are kids, and my son is in Scouts.

Orchid's right though, PUP's are inexpensive used. May end up with one before the kids are grown :)

20. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

We bought a really nice lg 2 room tent and 2 xl cots as a final attempt to make tent camping still work. Just could not wake up in anything less than pain and what felt like leg clots sometimes. Especially if not on level ground. Plus we were sleeping separately in the cots. After only camping 3 times in the previous 2 years, we knew the writing was on the wall but couldn't afford some 30000 rig. Along came a popup for $1500 about 3 mos ago and we said what do we have to lose?