what flooring? peel and stick vinyl? click together?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by ryguyFam, May 1, 2018.

1. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

uh oh

I am down to the subfloor in my reno for my 2000 Coleman Bayside Elite and I bought peel and stick wood look vinyl planks from Lowes (see thread in my sig for details) but reading through here it seems that at least without some primer the peel and stick are a bad idea? should I exchange for floating vinyl? I don't want to have to redo this...HELP!

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I used peel and stick vinyl squares. Easy to use, and I did not have any issues with it it sticking. However, with how much these trailers flex, I'm having problems with the seams opening up as squares manage to move... I would suggest a vinyl plank flooring that clicks together. Use "LifeProof" from home depot in our kitchen in the house. Very easy to use, and completely water proof unlike laminate.

Repucci likes this.
  3. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Sigh - yeah that's what I was seeing too. So floating waterproof vinyl planks are the way to go eh?

4. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We chose floating vinyl planks because there were so many glue spots left on the subfloor once we took up the linoleum that we were afraid the peel and stick wouldn't stick, and we were not going to attempt to get all that glue off. Plus, we weren't sure how summer Virginia humidity would affect the peel and stick.

We do have an issue with a couple of the floating pieces separating at the seam from the adjoining pieces because they became non-floating when we anchored the dinette or cabinet on them.

We got ours at Lowe's, and we chose from the thinnest possible. Even so, my husband did have to sand a bit of the subfloor under the door threshold.

It was a costly upgrade from peel and stick. Is it worth it? I'm not sure. If we hadn't pulled up the linoleum, I think we would have stayed with the peel and stick. My husband kept reminding me as our costs rose, it's a 15 year old camper.

5. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Oh man, didn't even think of the anchoring points, so there's potentially issues with the plank flooring as well eh? And yeah, the wife wasn't entirely pleased when I mentioned the cost increase. Sigh.

What about this primer for the peel and stick flooring? That worth consideration? I think the thinness of the peel and stick is also an advantage, its only 2mm and I am betting the thinnest floaters will be at least 5mm...

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I came into a whole bunch of 2-foot carpet squares from work place remodeling. Got DARK BLUE and DARK GREEN colors... These all still had sticky on the backs...

Put down the DARK GREEN under both tent beds ends and the DARK BLUE ones on the POPUP floor over my vinyl.

Was a great move putting over the wood tent bed ends flooring...

Going on the POPUP floor was great too especially getting out of bed when it is cold outside.. The down side however was we usually camp OFF-GRID all the the time way back in the woods somewhere and we would track in the leaves and other woods trash all the time. never noticed that with the vinyl flooring.

I added one of those folding grated steps from CW and it helped alot as you can really stomp your feet before coming into the trailer. Still gets alot trash leaves inside etc ...

This folding steps fits perfect just inside the door when packing up for travel...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image
    Now this is camping hehe... Gots my coffee maker and AM/FM radio going, Sitting in the shade of my awning on rock parking area, having my fan blowing on us keeping the mosquitoes at bay... I think this is at Westmoreland State Park Virginia in the B-section...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    LeighAnnD likes this.
  7. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

I can't answer about the primer. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer that. Below is the link to what we purchased. It's 3.2mm thick, the thinnest we found at the time that we could purchase locally.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shaw-14-Pi...cking-Luxury-Residential-Vinyl-Plank/50043188

We wish you the best.

8. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Nice Roy! Looks like a great setup you have there. I think a non-carpet floor option is critical for my young kids and dog, I feel like carpet would get trashed quickly. I may however take your carpeted bed area idea though - that sounds like a great way to make the bed space more finished.

Thanks for the input MrsSquid! We found 2mm thick peel and stick so hopefully that will do nicely if we go that route.

Yeah doing a little reading, looks like using a latex based paint for the flooring under peel and stick vinyl is not a terrible idea. I am slightly worried about the ply not being able to breath if it gets wet, but maybe I am thinking too much about it.

LeighAnnD likes this.
  9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I'm gonna use the peel and stick tiles with the primer or glue.

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Why not go to a carpet/flooring place and see if you can get more vinyl. They usually have some end-of-the-roll pieces on special.I did our ensuite bathroom that way. Just cut it to size and lay it down and let it float. 1/4 round at the edges. I like the fact that there are no seams.

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If I were going to use the vinyl you have I would get the Mastic and glue them down. I have used them with and without and can tell you I wont ever trust the glue that they come with again.

I see we are in the same Forest And I have to ask What Part of The South side you're on?

12. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Hey jnc!! we are on the eastern side, between Manchester and Portsmouth.

I will definitely be doing some sort of treatment to the flooring prior to peeling and sticking, but I hear mastic is for 'intermittently wet areas only' - would use some sort of primer meant for OSB and vinyl flooring. TEC or TAC or something I have heard mention of, will prolly end up just asking at Lowe's.

In other news, it was a real sad day for the camper yesterday. Full update in the build thread, but suffice it to say I was significantly set back, and by my own hand as well. Never fails, once you begin a project like this. Sigh.

13. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Going to be using some peel and stick vinyl that looks like wood planks myself.

14. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

If you didn't install under anchor points and only installed against them and trimmed with quarter round/shoe moulding then everything can float. Keep the trim slightly higher than the flooring so it can expand/contract and therefore can move/float.

MrsSquid likes this.
  15. LeighAnnD

LeighAnnD New Member

I’ve read that peel and stick is awful in the Deep South with the heat and humidity. Something about the glue turning gummy? Can anyone from the south provide their experience? We are just beginning our redo!

16. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

I have heard that too, I think when it comes down to it, you gotta just work with what you can get in your budget. Going floating I think would be nicer in a few ways and would probably be preferable, but budget predicates our plan for the peel and stick. Going to get some primer/glue to prep the surface, and hope for the best! Check my build thread for updates and final results.

LeighAnnD likes this.
  17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

I'm on the Tennessee/Kentucky line and we are currently laying vinyl tile wood planks down. A buddy of mine did it in his several years ago and never had an issue with the heat or humidity. One thing he said though is don't rely on the sticky back alone, so i bought a jug of TEC roll on adhesive from Lowe's for vinyl tile. I've done my slide out already and so far its done good adhering. Time will tell i guess...

LeighAnnD likes this.
  18. NiteRider

NiteRider New Member

What about roll out vinyl flooring? Cheap, easy to install and seamless for waterproofness.

19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

Just finished our peel and stick vinyl planks last week. The color is “driftwood” and only used 1 box. Pulled up the old laminate and used roll on vinyl plank glue. It’s been sitting open in 90 degree heat for the last week and has not come up at all.
    D84BD7DC-6304-4CDE-B42C-77A8CFD23984.jpeg

Repucci, myride, Orchid and 5 others like this.
  20. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

That is the EXACT same one i plan to use! :laugh:

Spartacus and LeighAnnD like this.