What food do you pack for trip (2-3 or 4-7 days)?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Camper054, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I know the answer is probably different if you are packing food for 2-3 days vs 4-7 days, plus who is with you - just the adults or both adults and 'kids', where kids can range from elementary to high schoolers. Let's say you are planning a 2-3 days trip. Let's say you also have teenagers. What do you pack? I am not sure how long the ice coolers can keep frozen items good. The camper fridge is also not big!

Thanks!

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If you have teen boys, I suggest stocking up on sandwich fixings (pb&j), canned goods like chili, and other non-refrigerated snacks and mini meals. This will allow them to grab all the food they want without opening the cooler non-stop.

Teen girls can be finicky, so shoot for their favorite non-refrigerated foods.

Mealtimes, do your usual favorites and don't worry.

Coolers - have one for frozen foods, have one for drinks, and have one for cold foods.

HappyTraveler, LizBuc77 and Camper054 like this.
  3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

2-3 days is easy
    Breakfast can be a couple of days of bacon & eggs, and something like pancakes to finish the trip
    Lunch can be a couple of cold salads and cold-cuts - or make breakfast into lunch and skip it completely
    Supper can be just about anything, and you can get 2 meals out of one cook. Frozen pasta sauce will be ready for day 3

Longer than about 4 days is where it gets trickier. Pasta, lemon, good parmesan, and some parsley makes a fantastic non-refrigerated meal (that also takes no space) as does an agile e olio. Pork tenderloin can start frozen in marenade and be grill-ready in 3 or 4 days, then be two meals (day 4 and day 5 supper)

We don't really do snacks much - besides marshmallows for the fire - so that isn't really a consideration.

HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We never pack for more than three days anymore. We are never so far from civilization that we can't take a quick trip to a grocery. And honestly, it's kind of fun to visit small town grocers. You never know what you'll find. There was a store we visited in New Hampshire where you could choose a lobster from a tank, and they would steam it for you while you shopped.

If you do want to pack for 4-7 days, I'd recommend that you pack a cooler for frozen foods and use dry ice. You have to be a little careful in the way you pack it if you use dry ice, but it will keep frozen thing frozen, rather than half thawed and soggy!

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its doable, ive done it lol. 1st you need a decent 5 day cooler and a plan. Freeze the meat and such that you will use toward the end of the trip. I put the drinks inside the pup fridge, with the condoments. Meat, etc is in the other cooler. If you dont have a fridge , you will need two coolers. Fresh vegies, potatoes, last a while. I usally have quick meals for the first day, then the steaks and such, last day is like hot dogs and beans. I also keep, as mentioned lots of snacks and canned stuff just in case something goes wrong. It dosent go bad and can be used mutiple trips. So ,pb, canned potates, vegies, ramen, chicken, pasta, soups, mac n cheese, etc. Pankakes is good for beakfast. I get the mix that only uses water. The key is the planning out the meals for the trip. And the order in witch to cook them. I have a TT now, and with the bigger fridge, we atually made an 18 night trip with out buying food. We only ate out like 6 times.

HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  6. dabsond

dabsond Member

Pop Tarts, all you need is Pop Tarts...

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

and Spam....don't forget the spam.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I always have peanut butter and honey along with hotdogs for quick snacks or a protein boost. Frozen goods in one cooler and refrigerator stuff in another cooler or I use my fridge for that, the frozen cooler only gets used once a day unless I prepare a nice Dutch oven breakfast. The meals for later in the week get put deeper in the ice and meats for the next day or two will be towards the top. If I’m camping longer than a week I will go grocery shopping to stock up on food. However I’ve found I’ve had to have an open mind in regards to food the second week as I can’t get certain foods. My little side kick has to have bottled water so I do keep that stocked for her along with one of her favorite snacks. She’s not much of a snacker though but she drinks a ton of water. The bottled water gets replaced every time one is removed so there is always a cold one available and I’m not having to keep the entire case cold. Water, Hot coco, tea, or coffee is usually our go to drinks sometime a small case of soda. Which makes it easy as I don’t normally have to keep a third cooler. I can keep the few drinks in the fridge. If I’m planning to camp with others or spending more time at camp then venturing out than up I will plan Dutch oven meals. If I’m going to be out and about, hiking, swimming etc I will make quick meals. Sandwiches for lunch. Hamburgers, tacos, etc for dinner. Breakfast is also usually filling as well, mountain man breakfast, pancakes, biscuits and gravy etc. if we’re going on a lake or near the ocean seafood will be on the menu at least once.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, one of you southerners need to show me how to make biskets and gravy, we dont have that up north and i have never ate it. Please share! [:D]

nectarsis and neighbormike like this.
  10. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

You haven’t had Mike’s? There’s still time for you to ask him to make some for tomorrow’s potluck breakfast. Just tell him I sent you! [LOL][LOL]

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I usually go for a week to Austin (not this year though), sometimes 10 days. I pack enough food for about 3 days, although some stuff overlaps. Loaf of bread, PBJ fixins, lunch meat, condiments, English muffins, eggs, sliced cheese, crackers, summer sausage and sodas for dinner treats. I run two fridges - the camper one and a hybrid I picked up on CL - runs off 12V and 110V. I cool both down a day or two in advance and load them up. The 12V fridge goes in the TV, and transfers to the counter once I am set up in the campsite. I also have one of those 12V thermoelectric coolers - I keep it outside under the camper, plugged into an AC adapter. With the awning it stays cooler but I only keep sodas and water in it. Hoping to get one of those fancy 12V compressor fridge/freezer units someday.

I drink a lot of milk, so I buy half gallons (easier to store in small fridges). I plan out my meals for the whole trip, pack what I need for the first couple nights, and work out a shopping list in advance for my run to the store. Dinners tend to be things like fajitas, burgers, grilled chicken breast sandwiches, bbq chicken, shish ka bobs and pizza. Lunches are leftovers if there are any, or sandwiches and chips. Breakfasts are home made egg mcmuffin sandwiches (easiest and fastest breakfast I think unless you are going cold), omelets, scrambled eggs and sausage, pancakes, breakfast tacos.

I try and limit my meals to ones that minimize cleanup. As much as I like my garlic cheese grits they make a mess for cleaning, along with baked beans and refries. We use microwaveable refried beans and rice packets that work great for our needs, and free up a burner. We also do canned biscuits and cinnamon rolls, pepperoni rolls using canned crescent roll dough, pizza using Bobolis or similar pizza shells in an individual size.

Can't help on ice - we don't use traditional coolers anymore. We do have a countertop icemaker though, which provides us ample ice for drinks. I know some use them to supplement ice in coolers as well although I feel the ice it makes tends to be a little on the soft side, and you would need to make sure to empty the basket into your cooler about once an hour.

I pick up marinade packs at the store - add some oil and vinegar into a Ziploc with the mix and chicken, let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours, and then toss it on the grill. I do have temp gauges in both fridges too so I can monitor their performance, but so far no issues.

Camper054 likes this.
  12. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi all, thanks for so many GREAT ideas! And, with so nice descriptions of what you'd take and how. I am getting hungry now :). I have three teenage boys and if everything goes okay (somethings I and DW needs done before), we are planning a trip to the Smoky's next weekend for two nights. We've camped closer to home with our PUP before and running to a nearby store wasn't an issue. But these days I am trying to limit it. You all have given me so much ideas, that I think I can last for a week now :). Thanks so much again, and I hope to share back what we made and what the kids and DW liked or disliked (food wise).

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Normally for a long weekend (4 days / 3 nights) we pack eggs, bacon, pork roll, bread (for french toast), hot dogs, burgers (and rolls) and also a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese, chicken for grilling. We usually plan on eating out one night, but nowadays that ain't happening.

14. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It's camping...So of course...Burgers and Dogs.
    We reserve one night for a nice steak dinner.
    We pre make breakfast burritos
    and take a carton of liquid eggs and pancake mix and sausage
    Of course Hobo dinners are a good way to feed a crowd.
    Some chips and potatoe or pasta salad or both.
    Orange juice
    Bread for toast...We love the rock hard toast you make over the fire on the camp stove toaster.
    Dont forget beer as well[:D]

Toni Arnold likes this.
  15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Oh yeah....Adult Beverages...and non-alcoholic ones for the under age

kcsa75 and firepit like this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sounds great! You'll make it work. I have never made grocery trips while camping and have gone up to 14 days so far.

One additional tip is to coordinate your meal plan so you use everything up. If you want tacos with sour cream one night, plan on another meal or two to use up that sour cream. With 3 teenage boys, you are unlikely to have leftovers, but when you do, reuse them.

Camper054 likes this.
  17. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Make a spreadsheet with your exact meals planned out and pack them. It really isn't hard. Frozen cooler for dinner stuff, bacon and eggs, pancakes, oatmeal and cereal for breakfast. Sandwiches and stuff for lunch that you can eat on the go. Grill for dinner, precooked tacos, pasta..... Plan it all out with a spreadsheet and pack what you need. We have packed for 10 days this way for 7+ people.

HappyTraveler, Camper054 and TheBlurb like this.
  18. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Beer munchies are essential!!!!

Camper054 likes this.
  19. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Couldn't agree more, in fact that is all what I was thinking of packing [Guitar]...., so I asked you to think of the other things for me [LOL], just kidding, really you all gave great suggestions....

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  20. dabsond

dabsond Member

A lot of people over thinking this topic...

kcsa75 likes this.