What food do you pack for trip (2-3 or 4-7 days)?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Camper054, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi @dabsond , 'overthinking'? Probably yes, 'topic'? I respectfully disagree. With three teenage growing boys, I or someone wouldn't want to be in a situation where either there is not enough for all of us, or didn't pack the variety that can keep all of us somewhat satisfied, or to be wasteful. Just wanted to plan ahead of time what we'd eat and how long it will take me to prepare, etc., so we have time to hike, relax, do other things. Also, without sufficient food, I wouldn't want to venture in the mountains like hungry bears :), or have the family not have a good memory as (at least for me, I get really grumpy when I am hungry :))..Thanks for the feedback...

One can ask, haven't you done camping before? Good question, Most of our camping was with groups and food/activities were not an issue - as there were cooking enthusiasts who took care of it. We also went out just by us, but mostly for a smaller trips, and closer to the city. Last year we were out for longer in the camper (when we got our new to us pup). But of one of my boys had a marching band competition he couldn't miss. Since I had to drive to get him back to the camp, we stopped by a restaurant (good experience). This trip by us would be farthest we are going (6.5 hrs)...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  2. CindyLHK

CindyLHK New Member

Hungry Jack biscuits are the key since no one really knows how to make biscuits. For gravy, brown and crumble pound of pork breakfast sausage. Leave all the fat in the pan. Sprinkle the browned sausage with flour one tablespoon full at a time (no need for precise measurements) until all of the fat is absorbed and the crumbles are covered with flour. (You just made a roux, by the way.) Then add full-fat milk a half cup at a time stirring as much as possible to dissolve the flour and fat from the pork. Salt and pepper. Best done over medium heat, but if you need to lower the temperature to give yourself some more time, then do so.

Now I'm hungry.

======

My best camping food hack is to always have a no-cook meal prepared for the day of arrival. My go to is a chicken broccoli salad in the summer. If setting up camp goes easily then dig into one of your other planned meals and save it for lunch the next day instead of sandwiches. If you set up in the rain / wind/ hailstorm then enjoy your easy meal and sleep it off.

We do a veggie and meat chili over the campfire in the fall. I cut the veggies at home for that.

I freeze tap water into used chicken broth containers for the cooler. Those can be put in the camper fridge once it's plugged in to shorten the time to cool it down.

Finally, we pack a Brita. We're all water drinkers until 5pm, and nothing ruins a campout like nasty drinking water.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  3. Eric Young

Eric Young New Member

And BEER...

Camper054 likes this.
  4. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We usually go for 3 days when we camp and we bring food for 3 days. Between the ice chest and little refrigerator we do not have room for much more than that. If we go for a longer period of time, we make a trip to the grocery store.

5. thesiobhan

thesiobhan New Member

We just got back from a 5 day trip, and the only thing we had to run to the store for was dog food, since a raccoon raided our container!

- Breakfast - bagel egg sandwiches; filling, tasty, and quick
    - Lunch - sandwiches or a charcuterie plate; again quick and filling, also allows for a good mix of healthy and less-healthy options
    - Dinner - grilled meat (chicken, steak, or sausages) and veggies (asparagus, corn, bagged salads, etc); switched it up nightly with different marinades on the meats and occasionally did foil packets

I keep lots of grab and go snacks on hand for when anyone is just feeling peckish, mostly fruits and veggies. And I also pre-make anything I can and bring it in a ziplock baggie. This usually includes pasta salad, kale salad, etc.

Plus, I make sure I have the drink cooler fully stocked with beer and whiskey! [:D]

Sjm9911 and Camper054 like this.
  6. Pop Daddy 1

Pop Daddy 1 New Member

We take vegetarian hamburgers, sausage dogs, and fresh veggies for the grill. Delicious! We always pre make a large tupperware of tuna salad. This makes for easy lunches. Breakfast is normally blueberry pancakes and veggie bacon. Also, don't forget your favorite happy hour drinks!

7. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder New Member

These threads always make me laugh. What do you eat while you are at home for a week? That is pretty much what you will need camping for a week just add 10xs the beer. It is more about repackaging parishable things so you can use them multiple meals and not contiminate your beer supply in the cooler. Both times you suggested are short trips. Buy good Tupperware style storage containers that fit well into your cooler and preseason and package everything you take before you leave the house. While at camp you just cook your preprepped meals and call it good.

8. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

When our 3 boys were young and we would do 2+ weeks tent camping all around the US, we kept our meals really simple. pb&j was always available and usually served as breakfast since we were tearing down to head for the next adventure. While on the road, we did sandwich meat and raw veggies and dip. Dinner depended on if we were just pulling in and setting up or at the end of the day full of activities. Things we've done in those cases were premade/frozen/canned. More time or not rushed, then we would do stuff around the campfire, hotdogs/burgers/foil dinners/fire-irons. If we couldn't have a campfire, then we would cook stuff on the camp stove and in the cast iron dutch oven (foil dinners work great cooked that way, btw).
    Mainly, these trips were not about sitting around the campsite and cooking, but hiking, sight-seeing and activities geared towards where we were at the time.
    When the boys were in Boy Scouts, we were doing a weekend camping trip every single month; those trips were much different and so meals played a big part of the "entertainment". So foods that one would be more likely to cook at home were fair game.

Camper054 and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. David R. Jacobson

David R. Jacobson New Member

10. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi all,
    So, we came back last night from our short trip to the Smoky's. It was great and here is what I did in terms of food. Many of you gave me good suggestions and advice and thanks to you all again.

I figured we needed two breakfast, two lunch, and two dinner. First breakfast, we made sausage, eggs and hashbrown - kids loved it. Our lunch was lighter - had fruits, veggies, and instant noodles - we tried the Udon from Costco (put hot water and wait few minutes and they are ready!). For the first dinner, we made stakes and also grilled some marinated chicken. It was raining so we took no chance to cook what we can for the dinner. Next morning, made fajita with the leftover grilled chicken, which was a hit too :).

In addition we had chips bags (also got sun chips from Costco), yogurt, fruits and veggies for munching. Kids also did s'mores. So, here is my list:

fruits (apples, banana, grapes, water melon)
    veggies (celery stakes, carrots), and a dip
    marinated stakes
    marinated chicken breasts (cut into pieces and put in skewers)
    hot dogs and buns
    instant noodles
    tortilla
    sour cream (good for many things :))
    chips
    granola bars
    Hershey's chocolate bar, marshmallow, Honey Maid Graham crackers, and sticks
    water, Gatorade, diet soda for the kids
    coffee, adult beverage

one cast iron skillet and a steel wool scrubber
    one pot with lid for heating water for coffee or noodles (I used the side stove of my camper for this)
    grilling utensils - kept at minimum - one tong and one spatula
    disposable plates, forks, spoons and knives
    aluminum foil and couple of aluminum trays

I also packed a small bottle of cooking oil, ketchup, some salt and pepper, spices, and sugar in small zip locks.

By the way, the camper fridge is not as good, my cooler with ice bags was colder.

That's all I can remember now, hope it helps someone else who may be asking the same question.

It was a great camping trip!!!

Thanks all!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time. Kabobs and fajitas are one of the meals I make where I am happy to have a microwave. With the Kabobs I get the Uncle Bens garlic butter rice that is precooked - just vent the bag and nuke it. That frees up a burner and a pot to clean as well. Cut up some onions and peppers and assemble your skewers. Mushrooms too if you like them.

For fajitas I found a Mexican brand of refried beans that cook the same way - vent the package and toss in the microwave. They turn out great, and frees me from having to clean a pot used to cook refried beans, which is always messy. For Mexican rice I just use the rice a roni Mexican style, which turns out great for my needs.

Our favorite marinade for chicken sandwiches is brown sugar bourbon, I think McCormick sells it in a dry pack - mix it up with water, oil and vinegar.

I always try and cook something new/different on each trip, just to try things. Most of the time it has been fine, although my first attempt at grill pizzas was a horrible failure. We were really close to town though that night so I think we went in and grabbed sandwiches from somewhere (yes, the meal was actually that bad, bottoms burned to a crisp and tops not quite done).

Sjm9911 and Camper054 like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sounds like a big success. And now that you've done it, future meal planning will be easy.

Fajitas, burritos, tacos are all great to do. Kabobs do well also.

Camper054 likes this.