What food item has unexpectedly become a camping staple for you?

chiques

Oct 4, 2020
Pancakes and bacon every day for breakfast.

S'mores made with Rolos as the chocolate and a little sea salt. Now I see they have Dark Chocolate sea salt Rolos at Hershey Chocolate World. Must buy a box!

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
Okay....my turn!
Our menu is similar to what we may have at home, except for a few changes:
-- At home, we usually don't have breakfast, but have lunch & dinner. In camp, we always have breakfast & dinner, but skip lunch. (Usually just bring some snacks for on the trail, e.g. jerky and M&M's).
-- Breakfast is nearly always eggs (poached, scrambled, hard boiled or over medium depending upon day and mood) with either spam or bacon and fruit (banana or orange). If we're still hungry we add toast. It's also just about the only time we use the camper's stove since dinner is usually prepared outdoors either over the fire or (rarely) on the camper's grill. If it's raining we often eat dinner out ;-) .

-- On days when we need to get on the road or hit the trail early, I'll have cereal (Life or Cocoa Pebbles). It's about the only time I eat cereal, cereal choices reflect my favorites when I was a kid. My wife will just have fruit.
-- On cooler days I always have hot chocolate with breakfast (almost never drink it at home). Occasionally on warm days too if I'm in the mood.

Floridagal

Mar 23, 2018
This morning I'm packing up food for our first trip of the year, leaving this afternoon. I had a chuckle to myself as I thought, time to make the pasta salad! The backstory is that when we first started camping a few years ago, I didn't trust the fridge to keep things cold and didn't want any side dishes with mayo or eggs or other stuff that might go bad. So I thought, oh pasta salad is noodles, Italian dressing, veggies, pepperoni - perfect! When we went on that first trip, my DH was SO EXCITED to have pasta salad because I don't often make it at home. I enjoyed it also. He requested it again the next trip and the next. So now it is just permanently on my packing list!

Do you all have any food or drink items that accidentally became a camping staple?
I camp with a group and our breakfast person wanted help with breakfast. I looked over the ingredients and said we have all the fixings for frittata. So now BOTH camping groups we camp with like a frittata for breakfast one morning of the weekend

Sandman51

Jul 7, 2021
Athens, GA
This morning I'm packing up food for our first trip of the year, leaving this afternoon. I had a chuckle to myself as I thought, time to make the pasta salad! The backstory is that when we first started camping a few years ago, I didn't trust the fridge to keep things cold and didn't want any side dishes with mayo or eggs or other stuff that might go bad. So I thought, oh pasta salad is noodles, Italian dressing, veggies, pepperoni - perfect! When we went on that first trip, my DH was SO EXCITED to have pasta salad because I don't often make it at home. I enjoyed it also. He requested it again the next trip and the next. So now it is just permanently on my packing list!

Do you all have any food or drink items that accidentally became a camping staple?
Granola and yogurt, pimento cheese, grits and eggs.

Cindy Lou

Jul 1, 2021
We tried that last year at one of our camping destinations when I saw one of our Co-camper's kids pull out a bag of Starbursts. I suggested he roast them over the fire. He looked at me like I was crazy until he tried it...over and over again, along with the rest of the kids and adults.
How exactly would you roast a Starburst 🤔😃???

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
one of our main breakfast staples is dehydrated hash browns from "Idaho Spuds" - comes in a box that packs nicely with all the other boxes of hash browns :)
Hungry Jack ones are available down here. We love them since you hydrate in the package, then dump on the skillet. Introduced them to the troop and they became a quick favorite as well. Dump your scrambled eggs onto them when they are almost done for super easy egg/potato breakfast tacos, or mix in sausage/bacon as well.

vaderhater22

Mar 4, 2017
Whiteland, IN
Pizza...

When I first decided to start our annual Father's Day camping trip I was trying to get my then 5 year old to help me plan the menu by telling me what he wanted to eat. We both really enjoy pizza so that was what he suggested. I kinda chuckled but then looked into how I could make it happen without having to order from somewhere. Turned out building an oven over a campfire wasn't super complicated. Our fist one used sticks wrapped in aluminum holding up the aluminum foil walls but nowadays we have special stakes that we can stick in around the fire to support the oven walls. We used to use roll out dough but we usually pick up a pre-made crust now. We get to pick our toppings and cover it in cheese and sauce and bake away. I've been looking for a sturdier but still foldable portable option that is also pretty cheap but the aluminum works. And at 18 now, I'm ecstatic that he still wants to go camping with me with no end in sight yet.

southern gal

Jul 6, 2018
South Georgia
On my last trip, I ate Mountain House Freeze dried for dinner every night. I don't want to be bothered with cooking or dishes out in the wild. However, in the morning I do have Breakfast Burritos. I don't take fresh eggs any longer. Instead I use those little cartons of scrambled eggs mix. You can't tell the difference from a freshly cracked egg. I will add some Jimmy Dean sausage and some hash brown potatoes to the pan. Then put the mix on a flower tortilla, add some cheese and Mexican Salsa before wrapping it up. I'll wash it down with a small bottle of Orange juice and coffee. Lunch is generally a couple of Hot Dogs wrapped in a slice of bread. Or maybe I'll have a sandwich with what every lunch meat I happen to bring along. All I ever drink on camping trips is water, coffee, Orange Juice. Sometimes I take along some of those little packages of Crystal Light flavor packets. But that's a rarity. I have been known to have Biscuits and Gravy on occasion for Breakfast. That's generally only if my son is with me.

I don't go camping to eat. I eat out of necessity. And the easier the better. I also rarely take along any treats like Potato Chips, cookies, Cheez-its, or anything else like that. I just don't eat that stuff. That is unless my youngest son and his wife come along with the kids. They have all that stuff for the kids. But I have no willpower at all. I'll eat the whole damn bag if it's left in full view and the kids aren't looking. LOL
We took several different types of Mountain House meals to try them out on our last camping trip. Not bad and easy to fix. We did that for breakfast and lunch. Our favorite was the biscuits and gravy. We keep an emergency box to have during hurricane season and wanted to see which meals we liked so we could add them to our emergency box. I will say most of them weren't too bad. Just pricey.

southern gal

Jul 6, 2018
South Georgia
Hungry Jack ones are available down here. We love them since you hydrate in the package, then dump on the skillet. Introduced them to the troop and they became a quick favorite as well. Dump your scrambled eggs onto them when they are almost done for super easy egg/potato breakfast tacos, or mix in sausage/bacon as well.
Yes, we have done those several time. Excellent item to take for breakfast.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
We took several different types of Mountain House meals to try them out on our last camping trip. Not bad and easy to fix. We did that for breakfast and lunch. Our favorite was the biscuits and gravy. We keep an emergency box to have during hurricane season and wanted to see which meals we liked so we could add them to our emergency box. I will say most of them weren't too bad. Just pricey.
I had the biscuits and gravy one time. I talked about eating it on one of my past YouTube videos. It tasted okay, but I can' say it resembled Biscuit in an way. It's not my favorite, but I would buy and eat it again. I had a funny experience with the one called "Bacon and Egg Scramble". I think that's what it's called. My son and I both ate one for breakfast one morning. We both commented on how there was too much water still in the bag. It was almost like soup, but tasted okay. Halfway through the meal my son noticed the last part of the instructions on the back of the package. It said, "Before eating, pour out all excess water"! I guess we should have read the instructions before complaining.

Some of my favorites are Lasagna ,Beef Stew, Spaghetti, and one other that I can't remember the name now. The one I absolutely did not like was one call 'Spicy Southwest Mexican Skillet. I could not even finish the bag and ended up tossing it in the garbage. It was sorta like eating wood pulp. I added my comments on that one in a video as well.

On another occasion I was eating one of thme, I forget which, and I could not finish the bag. It was just too much for me to eat all at once. Then again, I found a notice on the front of the package that read, " 2 Servings". Meaning that it was supposed to be for two people.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
Pizza. That camp chef pizza oven, again. Make the dough at home, which means you're probably going to want to cook the pizzas the first night, unless you trust the cooler to keep the dough fresh. Don't forget your rolling pin, pizza peels, and a rolling mat. The kids love to make them. The pizza oven accommodates up to about 11 or 12 inches. They take ten minutes or less to cook in a well-heated oven.
When out for several days now we take our 14" Camp Chef pizza oven. Yes, it does way more than pizza! I've tried lots of stuff to test it. We like to cook and eat well when camping. It'll cook toast, cinnamon buns, hot dogs and burritos nicely. Made brownies and cookies and biscuits and even a pineapple upside down cake. Need to try more like roasted veggies . . .

I sometimes use an Omnia oven, but really liking the pizza oven better.

RDWRER

Jul 31, 2015
Kentucky

That’s funny because that’s exactly what happened with us! We also didn’t want hot food after setting everything up in summer heat, so we bring pasta salad (and tuna pouches to add to it), rolls, and brownies. We call it “camp food” even when we eat it at home [LOL]

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
Wife would make Shepherd's Pie at home and I would simply warm it up slowly on the bbq. Two nights of dinner for four peep's....all done.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021

Well, we got this jar of combo pb and j. No mess no fuss