What Gets "Moderated" and Why

Discussion in 'Web Site Features/Products' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 23, 2013.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

In light of a recent post commenting on the alleged excessive use of editing or deleting of topics/posts by myself or any of the website moderators, I thought I would list what gets "Moderated" and why, in order of frequency (most frequent to least).

I'd like to also remind everyone that we encourage members to contact the staff and report any of the below listed types of posts (click the "Report to Moderator" text, located at the bottom of each post) so that we may address any issues quickly.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Topics Posted on a Incorrect Board (Several Times A Day)
    This is the most common action taken by the PUP Staff and it's an easy mistake on the part of the author. I know there are a ton of categories and boards on PUP, the purpose of which is to help members locate information by trying to keep topics organized. Sometimes it's even difficult for us to determine the correct board in which to place the topic.

When a Topic is moved to another board, the original author is automatically sent a PM to let them know of the move. This is done, not to admonish the author for starting the topic where they did, but to let them know that an area exist for that subject matter and this may also help them discover the answer to their posted question by reviewing other topics on similar subjects.

[*]Excessive Use of Quotes (A Few Times A Day)
    Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. For some reason it make me crazy when I see a long, detailed posting repeated in the very next post, as a quote, only to include a one sentence response. So the quote itself gets edited out. If the same thing occurs much farther down in the thread, I try to determine the specific thought of the original post that the new post is responding to and edit the quote down to just that thought.

If this is something I see a member doing constantly, I may send them a friendly PM asking them to please use the "Reply" button instead of the "Quote" button.

[*]Use of the "Checkout My Rig" Photo Album for Other Purposes (Once or Twice A Day)
    Unfortunately, the Portal can not store everyone's photos; we don't have the storage space. That's what the various photo sharing service are for, like Flickr and PhotoBucket. We do have an area on PUP called "Checkout My Rig" where members can up a photo of their camper. The text heading on the page preceding the upload area reads as follows:

But to my dismay, photos are still uploaded of just about every type but, what is specified above. Then I have to delete the photos, delete the automatically created posts in the "Checkout My Rig" thread, edit the post that the member created to remove the photos, delete the next post where the member posts "I don't know why my photos do not display", edit/delete any posts after that where other members have posted "I can't see your photos", and finally, send the original poster a PM explaining why the photos were deleted and with instructions on how to include the photos from an account they can setup on one of the photo sharing services. And I normally do all this from my iPhone so my thumbs are getting worn-down!

[*]Images No Displaying Correctly (Several Times A Week)
    Even when a member uses one of the photo sharing services, the instructions those services provide for displaying a photo on a forum site like PUP, can be confusing and the result is a big red "X" where the photo should be displayed. When we see this, the staff will try to fix the problem by editing the post to get the photo to display. Sometimes the original poster will try again in a second or third post, not realizing that they still have time to edit the original post themselves. In these cases, the staff will delete these additional attempts.

[*]Splitting Topics (A Few Times A Month)
    This happens when a topic is taken way off subject (hijacked) and needs to become its own thread. At that point, the post and any subsequent posts referring to it are removed from the original thread and put into a new thread.

[*]Spelling and Grammar (A Few Times A Year)
    Lord knows my spelling isn't the best in the world but I do try to get the grammar right. That's why it can sometimes take me a while to craft a reply. Now that most browsers have built-in spell-check, life is a little easier for all of us. But when we see a post where the spelling or grammar is so bad that it's hard to follow the author's train or thought, we will edit it to make it more readable.

[*]Inappropriate Topics (Once Or Twice A Year)
    There are some topics which are taboo here on PUP; these are listed in the membership agreement. When one of these taboo subjects comes up in a topic, the topic is moved to the "Woodshed". This is an area to which only the staff has access. There, we can review the topic and take the appropriate action, notifying the author if necessary.

[*]Abusive Posts Aimed at Other Members (Once In A Blue Moon)
    Sometimes, discussions between members can get a little heated. Or a member is having a bad day and goes into a rant over something that may seem trivial to everyone else. When this happens the topic/post needs to be edited or deleted.

I like to think that, besides for the wealth of information, people come to PUP for the same reason they go camping, to get away from the crap that our modern society puts out on a daily basis. If you were out camping and someone at another campsite came over ranting a raving about something, you may want to excuse yourself and get far away from that individual. Well, the same applies here on PUP and when that happens it's not good.

I look at our discussion forums as friends sitting around a campfire, having a good time. As the administrator of the website and with the assistances of the moderators, we try to make sure everyone feels comfortable and has a good time on PUP.

[*]The Temporary or Permanent Disabling of a Member's Account (Almost Never)
    If the member continues to break the rules of the website, their account may be temporarily disabled. We let the member know why and give them a time-out. If, after being reactivated, the member continues to violate the rules of the website, their account can be permanently disabled. In the history of PUP, only seven members have had their accounts permanently disabled.
    [/list]

You may notice that the last three items occur very, very rarely. I like to think the reason is because members do as they see others do. When you see everyone acting civilized then you tend to act civilized. I'm always proud of the way PUP members regard our virtual campground and treat each other with respect. And I'm so proud to be a member of this community.

Thank you all,

Steve Haenn
    Camp Director
    PopUpPortal.com

2. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Thanks Steve. Actually, it is kinda sad that you actually had to post this to begin with. Well, at least everyone knows now!

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

You do a great and thankless job!

4. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

Well, not totally thankless.
    Thanks Steve :)

5. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Thank you Steve. It is important for everyone to know moderator edits and actions have solid reasoning behind them. I love this friendly community and appreciate your efforts to maintain it.

6. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

^^x2

Thank you Steve and all the Mods for making this site what it is. Best online community I've every known.

DG

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I don't know why I can't log In anymore? [?]

Just kidding! [:D]
    Thanks for doing this!!

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

If you could not use the quote button so often, that would be great!​

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Thanks for what you do to make this a great experience for all (or most) of us!

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Had to do it, Steve.

Sorry. [:O]

11. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Thank You Steve and other Moderators, we know who you are! Don't quote me [8D]

12. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

I don't think I have ever used the quote tab!
    The system furniture in the pic is Herman Miller series 1! So I guess I live in a modular furniture world!!!