What has been the best mattress fix or upgrade

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by dviking, May 30, 2016.

1. dviking

dviking Member

Hi all, yes I have read a whole bunch of previous posts on this but I guess I want to ressurrect this question.
    I have an '07 Viking 2170 pop up with queen bunk ends. Just came back from a Memorial Day weekend and the wife is not happy with the bed. She says it seems to be worse every year ( or we are getting older every year) the mattress seems in descent shape but she has always complained. Tried egg crate foam underneath, sleeping bag cover on top. Has helped but not really. Memory foam is out as a whole mattress replacement as they are sponges and also absorb everything you don't want it to. I saw a poster list a foam site and had memory foam cut for underneath the mattress. So far I think that might be the best option, but what thickness. I,m leaning towards 1 1/2" but don,t know if that will make it too hard to close. I have read about the tissue box test but there should be enough people out there who have played with this to let me know if I'd be good. So I am asking if others have good options and what sizes to stay within. Thanks in advance !

2. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

We recently got this gel memory foam topper for on top of the king mattress in our 2004 Fleetwood Sedona. Opted for the queen size as we didn't want to have to cut it down. What a huge difference! And the top of the popup closes just fine with the topper in place. Check it out:
    DreamDNA Gel Infused Queen 2-Inch Thick, Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Bed Topper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGMBDU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pFktxb9DSBGHP

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Definitely recommend the mattress topper but 1-1/2" will be about as thick as you'll be able to go. If the mattresses just don't cut it, you can always look for a foam mattress at IKEA. Just be sure to take measurements of your current mattress(es) so you know what'll work.

One thing I found really helped was to line the bunk with 24"x24" interlocking anti-fatigue foam mat. You'll need about 6 pieces to do each bunk and there's a little trimming involved but it sure takes the sting out of elbows, hips and shoulders when you're rolling around.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We added 2-foot carpet stick on squares under both tent bed ends for better insulation... Then added a 3-inch foam topper to the side we sleep in...

The three inch topper added to the flimsy original mattress was just tall enough to slightly compress when the top is brought down for travel. This could be a heat hazzard if the ceiling lights come on when the top is touching the foam. Those original incandescent lights get red hot... My trailer has a kill switch for the lights when you make it reading for transport.

Pretty comfortable for us...

However we found out the foam mattress topper and foam pillows will get hard as a rock when below freeing inside the trailer...

If you sleeping on it without heat inside the POPUP it will somewhat form to your silhouette by the next morning haha...

Never knew the majic foam would do that...

Roy Ken

5. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

memory foam topper gets a thumbs up from us too.

6. Kristie73

Kristie73 New Member

I'm looking for something too. My husband is complaining about his back every time. We have a queen on our pop up. We have sleeping bags and lay on top of the electric blanket. I'm looking over that one posted at Amazon, the Gel Memory Foam Mattress Pad. It says 2 inches thick. Will that be okay to leave on top and close up camper? Do you think we can still put the electric blanket on top of it? Seems like a really good price.

7. jasba

jasba Member

We were given a 3 in Memory Foam topper for Christmas which we set over the foam mattress which I believe is also 3 in. It works pretty well but still not perfect. We take the bedding off and place a cheap vinyl mattress protector over it when collapsing. It does close but the corners are pretty tight. We seem to have all of the issues with closing on the queen bed that we sleep on.
    The king bed our three girls share doesn't have a problem. We took some ridge rest foam sleeping mats from our tent camping days to put under their mattress. We haven't gotten any complaints about comfort from them but they are kids. I was thinking about stealing the sleeping mats from their side and putting them under ours. I don't even know if they would notice. [;)]

8. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Our 2" memory foam was the best investment for our sleeping comfort. I wouldn't dream of camping without it.

Regarding the closing clearance: Although we could close it with the mem foam mattress as-is, after trial and error we found that moving the memory foam away from the front/rear corners before closing up was best. There's already a lot of other 'stuff' (bunk end and sides) that are in the corners, so moving the mem foam provided a little more clearance.

Our procedure was to pull the mem foam away from the front/back (about 1/3 of it) and fold it over. Next we would tear down the bunk ends and supports (make sure poles are under the mem foam). Finally, we would push in the beds and then unfold the memory foam.

It just seemed like there was more room in the middle of the trailer for the memory foam.

My $0.02.

dlaudens

9. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

My Wife also complained about the factory mattress hurting her back.
    We tried a 1-1/2" foam topper. It helped a little, but wasn't enough.
    We then got a 3" convoluted foam topper, and she is as happy as can be! [:D]
    3-inch did the trick.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I bought some clearance toppers at Walmart - 2.5" thick, and solid foam, not the wavy kind that I see a lot of. I also put the foam tiles underneath the mattress. These two things made a big difference on bed comfort. It is a little tight getting it closed, and I am still learning the best way to make it fit. As others have mentioned, pushing the toppers further in seems to make a difference, but I also have to lay out my canvas not let it get too bunched near the ends.

Nice set of sheets helps too. I found some clearance ones at Target that are really nice. A little big but liveable.

11. edh

edh Active Member

The interlocking closed-cell foam anti-fatigue mats really helped our mattresses, as did adding a good sleeping bag to the top. Also tried a thick furniture moving pad, tried it under the mattress and also between the mattress and sleeping bag, and it help about the same in both locations. For cold weather nothing beats a heated mattress pad in my book.

12. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

went with a 3" memory foam with a moisture proof cover. from overstock.com, put it under the original...works well tight to close, but it does.
    took a lot of the pressure off the ol' hips.

13. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

I like the idea about the carpet squares for insulation. Have you found that it makes a big difference?

14. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I added the foam puzzle yoga/play mats this year, before our 18 day trip. It made a big difference. I was very skeptical of this idea, but I'm completely satisfied.

15. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Don't expect to find yourself sleeping on a cloud but yes, the foam mats definitely take the edge off contact points like hips, elbows and shoulders. For what they cost, they're totally worth it. [2C]

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When we got our pup we needed a new mattress on day one. So we got a air mattress at Walmart & love it. I have even made the comment to the wife that I could sleep on it every night. If I did not have 2 Big dog that love to play on the bed I would be sleeping on one every night!

17. utah steve

utah steve New Member

Have not had any luck with air mattress. They don't last. Going to order from Backcountry Edge,Big Agnes Double wide sleeping bag pad.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

18. Richdem

Richdem New Member

On our first outing with our trailer we realized how uncomfortable the beds were. We purchased a 2 inch cool gel topper from Wal-Mart and the difference is night and day. We're in the middle of a four day trip and are sleeping like babies. I was also considering the anti fatigue mats too but it may be too much for the roof too close. Our current routine is up at 7:30 to get the dogs out then back to bed. This morning we woke at 10:00am lol. One of the best upgrades we've done :)

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You are right that most dont last. There are some that are rated for 800 lbs. I cant remember the name but between the wife and I we can put a hurting on a mattress!! The mat we have now is at least 5yrs old and still plenty strong.

20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I actually like the mattress in our Fleetwood, I prefer firm mattresses, but the DW insists on an air mattress on top of it soo " happy wife happy life"!