what has happend to all the pup dealers

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by demac1763, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

The local dealer here that carried Fleetwood\Coleman in the day, now has a dozen or so Viking pop ups as well as a few T@Bs

2. Wysiwyg

Wysiwyg "Failure is not an option"

Demac, if you don't mind the drive, try Tom Johnson's in Marion NC. They had about 6 different types (sizes) in their own showroom back in April when we were there. Highwall and low wall. Think they were flagstaff but not sure. Check their website. Very nice people up there.

3. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

Not sure if the original poster is still looking around this topic is from last year.
    on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:42 PM

4. Go Play Outside

Go Play Outside Family Memories Today

The less I see them for sale, the more I am happy with my decision
    to buy my PUP!
    They will only become more valuable in the future! Take great care of yours as I do mine! The resale value will just keep getting better!

5. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I didn't catch that! I usually only look at new unread topics or ones with replies. When someone digs up an old topic I don't usually pay attention to the date/time all the posts were made.

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

6. raymonk

raymonk New Member

La

7. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

I think they moved to Wisconsin. In my short time up here, I've seen more PUPs on the road, as well as at a couple of dealerships than I ever saw in Illinois!

8. Poppy Patch

Poppy Patch New Member

After my awful experience with a dealer when I first got Poppy, I have never gone back to a dealer for anything (I mentioned my "experience" in my Introduction post).

I absolutely HATE the thought that Pop Ups might become "extinct."

I really don't see myself camping in a TT or a 5'er. ...at least not one owned by me (I have camped in my mom's TT a time or two).

If I couldn't have the PUP, I think I'd go back to a tent. Even being a horse lover & wanting to camp with my horse -- I don't see myself ever really sleeping in a hard-sided trailer (which would include a horse trailer w/LQ's). If I can't hear the nature sounds outside and all around me, I think camping would loose something [V].

When I read thoughts like this, it makes me want to preserve my old camper all that much more [CP]

I live near the Wisconsin Dells area, and honestly -- from what I've seen there are more PU's in nearby campgrounds than anything else. I will note, however, that I have see more and more smaller TT's recently than ever before. Still.....they don't outnumber the PU's....

...at least not yet.... [:!]

I am planning to attend an RV show in February with my mom (my first time going to one), so I am curious as to what kind of rigs we will see [?] [?]

9. athread678

athread678 New Member

I haven't seen anyone post from GA, but we had a similar experience. When we began looking for our pup, I kind of assumed you could buy a pup anywhere. We have a Camping World really close to our house, so we stopped in and were shocked to hear that they no long carry or SERVICE pups!?! I couldn't believe they wouldn't service them... They did have a 2 trade-ins sitting on the lot (way over priced - and I wasn't sure how we would get service on them).

After doing some digging we did find many dealerships within driving distance that carried a "limited" number of pups, and of course we could have ordered one if we wanted. But we were looking specifically for a Jayco. We wanted to be able to go inside a new one, see the features, have the salesman "sell us" on the brand and basically be able to compare it to others we had seen. The trouble was, there was only one dealership within driving distance and they didn't have any pups (even though they were supposedly a pup dealer...)

We eventually purchased a 5 year old Jayco pup from a private seller and are VERY happy :)

10. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

I found that there are some Pop-Ups for sale here in Grand Rapids, MI but many of them are so heavy there is no way I could even attempt to tow them. I find myself more frustrated that PUPs are becoming so heavy (over 2200lbs) when they are supposed to be something so essentially simple and that you have to look at something over 15 years old to get one under 2000lbs.

11. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

@ athread - Peco Campers has a whole showroom (and has for years) of PUPs. Their selection i great. Down by us, Three Way Campers has basically stopped selling PUPs and gone into small TTs and hybrids from what we've seen on their lot and showroom. Forget Camping World in Woodstock! They only sell used PUPs.

Glad you got yours from a previous owner.

12. djw54

djw54 New Member

I was just looking at Quality Products down in Plainwell, and they have several Jayco models open and on display. I see from Jayco's site that several gross over 2000 lbs, but the empty weight ranges from 1190 to 1900.

Used is definitely the way to go, though, especially considering price. Those new units were over $5000 each, some WELL over that mark.

Don

13. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Not sure if you found one Hacksaw. Pleasureland RV has PUPs in several locations... both used and new. They are located in St. Cloud, Wilmar, Brainerd and I think one other location. They have a sale on right now for the state fair.

14. mariettamodern

mariettamodern New Member

I was just on I-85 from Atlanta to Charlotte this past week. I saw on the Hwy 14 and I-85 exit in Greenville an RV dealer with pup's on the lot.

15. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

As for where all the PUP dealers have gone, I read on line not too long ago that the numbers are the problem. Many baby boomers have gone to the dark side... buying Travel Trailers. Looking at peak sales in the 80s of about 70,000 units and now down well below 20,000 per year, it is the laws of supply and demand. If there is no demand companies make less of them. Prime example, last Jan. we started shopping for a new to us PUP. Found that Pleasureland RV in Wilmar, MN had lots of 2011 PUPs and were trying to clear them out. We paid $8,600 for one thats MSRP was $13,310.
    I agree that used ones are meeting a huge part of the market demand that still exists. I know way more people that have bought used than new.

16. Jeanie

Jeanie New Member

We got our Jayco from Three Way Campers in June, and they had two of the kind we got (and several others on the lot).

We also went to Peco, but preferred the Jayco's at Three Way Campers.

17. Darksaga

Darksaga Here's.....ALAN

Here in southern Indiana there is a jayco dealer and they have a ton of pop ups. No real shortage here either.

18. jjkach

jjkach New Member

We have Jayco and Rockwood in our area. But the RV dealers have more TT, 5th wheel and Moho's than pop ups.

19. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I agree that manufacturers have lost site of the original intent of the "folding camper".....able to be towed by the family vehicle. As more and more trucks were sold in the 80's and 90's, popups became heavier and heavier due to adding more and more features. Now that the majority of popups require a truck to tow them, why not just get a trailer if you have to purchase a truck?

Popups will have to change in order to survive (think Europe).

20. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Right .... popup campers of yesteryear where a bare bones type configuration, get the body off the ground for sleeping and some extra cargo trailer space. Then came the trend to have the p'up have everything beyond the kitchen sink with a big time national promotion to saturate the market place and prices climbing to (and beyond in some cases) of TT proportions.

No, p'ups are not dead, they are just in a period of re-adjustment. As we face the future the question also arises ... what are you going to tow them with(?)