what I hate about camping in a pup......

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
What is on the cheap? I am very interested in this idea :) What did you do differently or how did you do it cheap?

Most people here use wire shelves and heavy duty brackets. I priced that out and it would have been at least $100, probably closer to $150.

I did a thread on ours when I did it... we used wood melamine shelves (on sale), and the lighter duty shelf standards and brackets (also on sale). Did the whole thing for around $50. My wife comments how much she likes it every time we camp. We just use it to store groceries and such so it doesn't need a huge load carrying capacity... and I wouldn't trust a large load on shower rods anyway.

msmoneypit

Aug 2, 2017
I did a thread on ours when I did it... we used wood melamine shelves (on sale), and the lighter duty shelf standards and brackets (also on sale). Did the whole thing for around $50. My wife comments how much she likes it every time we camp. We just use it to store groceries and such so it doesn't need a huge load carrying capacity... and I wouldn't trust a large load on shower rods anyway.

That's kinda what we are looking to do, and also my husband doesn't want to tension rod anything to our 20 year pup... He is scared we will prob ruin the roof.:) Awesome, I will see if I can find your thread :) Thanks

tfischer

That's kinda what we are looking to do, and also my husband doesn't want to tension rod anything to our 20 year pup... He is scared we will prob ruin the roof.:) Awesome, I will see if I can find your thread :) Thanks

We do use the tension rods. I don't tension them very tight, and it's the closet rod holders that do most of the work (I did screw those to the inside roof and cabinet below so they are sturdy)

The other nice thing about the melamine shelves is they store easily under the mattresses. I don't think the wire ones would do that. We even have foam puzzle squares under the mattresses and there's still plenty of room for the shelves. The tension poles get piled with our bunk supports, etc. and the shelf brackets go in a drawer for storage (although they could be put under the mattress too I suppose)

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
most people take way too much junk for camping. IMO
Guilty!! But I am trying to pare down on all the stuff we bring.
We made bunk end curtains so all the stuff not needed in the PUP can be stored outside under the bunk and be hidden from sight. Plus we keep the coolers there so they are out of the sun.

Last edited:

D_Gibb

Jul 20, 2016
[/QUOTE]

I built a set of these shelves on Saturday and my wife immediately shot the idea down after they were built. She said that we don't need any extra storage space, that these were a waste of time, and that we aren't taking them.

I don't know why she's so mad about it. I only took about two hours to make them, and the other two guys I was standing outside having a few beers with (after we were done with the saw, that is) were pleased enough with the results. They store up against the swing-down galley, and are pretty darn functional, I think.

tfischer

I built a set of these shelves on Saturday and my wife immediately shot the idea down after they were built. She said that we don't need any extra storage space, that these were a waste of time, and that we aren't taking them.

Wow... maybe wait a couple weeks until a better time of the month? lol.

My wife adores ours. You can never have enough storage space in a pup.

D_Gibb

Jul 20, 2016
Wow... maybe wait a couple weeks until a better time of the month? lol.

You might not be wrong [:D]

In any case, they're going up north with us this weekend, and they'll either be burned as firewood or become part of our standard gear. Trial by fire... literally.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I love the set I built. Great for longer stays as well. I strap my shelves together and they ride on the floor of the dinette.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Treading on thin ice, I know... 41 years of bachelorhood here, so I would take my awesome shelves and go camping!

D_Gibb

Jul 20, 2016

Allow me to clarify - yes, it is a strong response. No, I don't think it is anything referring to a female's time of the month. In my case, specifically, my wife responds specifically to proof of concept. She's resistant to any changes or mods, and doesn't want to add, alter, modify, or do anything extra other than just pack the way she has all her life. I can't even get her to pack in anything other than a standard suitcase that takes up way too much room. I need the time to show her that these shelves are actually useful, or they're gone.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Where do you put your "stuff". We end up with snacks, shoes, personal items, keys, cell phones, chargers strewn from one end of the camper to the next. Would like to hear any suggestions to improve our organization..racks, hanging stuff etc, any thing you think will help our situation....i just can not stand the clutter anymore...thnks, Wolfie
too much junk.

RCmom

Jun 19, 2021
New Jersey
Plus people not putting stuff away lol. (Kids these days!)

I have 2 small 3M Command strip hooks by the door for keys. No excuse for not hanging up the keys. (Camper, TV, bike locks).

On my most recent trip, I had a rainy day idea for the bunk curtains - adding mesh pockets for small stuff like tissue packs, earbuds, chapstick, hair elastics, etc.

I also have a divider curtain in the middle of my pup that I have a few ideas for improving, so I'll add a few clear pockets as well as a couple loops for hanging eyeglasses while changing. Clear pockets for earrings, watches, etc...

I'm a big fan of simple solutions to storage problems. My mother on the other hand could over-complicate putting away a deck of cards lol.