What I'd like in a heater!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by BillyMc, Oct 27, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I like my Buddy Heater, because it doesn't use any power other than propane. I don't like that it's either low, high, or off (no thermostat) and it's high pressure.

I like my furnace because it works off the low pressure system in the camper and it provides steady comfortable temperature in the camper. I don't like that it's a battery hog.

My dream heater is low pressure that I can connect to my stove connection. About the size and output of my Buddy Heater. It would also have an actual thermostat so I could maintain a constant temperature. I would be happy with radiant or blue flame, pilot or spark ignition as long as it has no fan (optional fan okay).

I've found a couple vent-less low pressure LP heaters with thermostats, but they are too large. Back to dreaming until the industry releases one or I retire and come up with it for myself.

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Many people use the Olympian Wave 3 heater, supposedly one of the safest RV heaters on the market. However, the catalysts in the heater are very sensitive to dust. Because we travel a lot of dirt roads I continue to use the Big Buddy heater, which has a low pressure inlet, 3 heat levels and a built in circulation fan which runs off of D batteries.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  3. BillyMc

I looked at the Olympian, but they don't appear to have a thermostat either.

4. BillyMc

Well except for it being wall mount only I may have found one that fits the bill. The Avenger FDT1IR doesn't have many reviews I can find, but I can wait a while. As for wall mount only I can mount to a cabinet door or build a stand for it.

5. ChrisInUtah

ChrisInUtah New Member

I have a 78 Starcraft and looking to replace the stock heater with a modern/efficient heater with thermostat. I've been considering the 'blue flame' version, but both appear to have some positive reviews of the product... but concerns about customer service.
    MFG link: Avenger Blue Flame 10000 BTU (Amazon Link)
    MFG link: Avenger Infrared 10000 BTU

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you have 110 volt power don't overlook a oil filled electric radiator. Cheap, clean, 3 heat settings, thermostat ....and quiet ......can keep a workshop or camper nice a warm.

7. BillyMc

Take away hookups and camping gets quieter and less crowded. I'm getting by fine with the PUP furnace for now. Down the road when I retire I want to extend our outings without running out of battery. I don't plan to replace the furnace any time soon, but if it goes bad I'll be replacing it with something that doesn't need battery power.