What if we could design the Family Expedition?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Enigmacamper, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

Initially I wasn't blown away by the new Family Expedition model but it is starting to be very interesting to me the more I think about it. I was looking at it and a design came to mind that I SO wish Aliner would try. What do you guys think?

Ok, if the point is designing it for FAMILIES, what if Aliner would design a modular bunk to go over the current bunk on the front (now that the dormers give so much headroom) and the expandable side bed could be optioned as more cabinetry/countertop?!? In my mind that would be almost the perfect function, you could sleep 4 adults easily, have a bunk (which the kids *always* want), and have SIX FEET of countertop and storage, that would be enough for bureau drawers, hanging storage or cubbies, maybe half could even be optioned as a desk setup (for homeschooling or work on the road etc.)? With storage being an issue in this model (the kitchen and heat pump taking up so much of it) wouldn't that be a great option?

I can see the modular bunk in my mind, what if it worked similar to how a popup camper's kitchen sets up? OR even better, what if they used a telescoping w/pins system (or somehow an archimedes screw) to raise the bunk straight up?! This would mean if it wasn't needed it could simply stay down and rest on the bed underneath it, looking just as it does now.

What do ya'll think?!

2. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

How about put a popup shower/toilet combo box in front of the trailer(outside)?

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Back when I was looking at A frame popups I made the comment once to someone that I need one with bunk beds. I was told they did make them but only on the west coast. Not sure how true it was because I Really couldn’t find them online . I saw a picture online for a Chalet model a frame that had a mattress on the floor and a bed above it. However I thought it was someone who just modified it to be a quasi bunk bed. I agree though that they do need to make them with bunk beds for the families with multiple people.

4. Enigmacamper

Interesting! I'm trying to think about how that could be constructed. ETA, perhaps they could have a fold-down frame over the current shower that could pop up and have a curtain affixed...

What if they turned the bathroom module inside the Expedition into an enclosed bathroom/shower with a fabric wall system that raises when desired just like the TAXA Mantis?!? They could affix permanent carabiner clips to the ceiling panel and when the camper is set up the fabric bathroom walls could simply raise and clip on with carabiners. If you don't want to raise the bathroom walls then they can just sit in the potty module, but if you need privacy you have the option. I know on a family-geared model you're often going to have the need for privacy. If we owned one of these that would likely be my first mod, much better if the manufacturer would install and take credit for it (it would be like gaining a bathroom but would cost Aliner extremely little to add = value).

5. Enigmacamper

Couldn't agree more, I think now that the dormers are more widespread the not-floor bunk's time has come, the question is which company will do it first.

Anyone interested in a "family" expedition likely has kids and if they have kids, the kids WANT A BUNK. lol

6. Enigmacamper

Does anyone have the "Family" or has seen it at a dealer and know if the front bed can be lowered any or does it have to be that high to accommodate the kitchen underneath?

The top bunk would have to be slightly shorter to account for the dormer being inset slightly from the full width of the camper, doesn't seem to be a problem though, if it was in the "down" position, a cushion on either side wall would fill the gap.

ETA, does anybody have an idea for some sort of railing that would be functional when the top bunk is up and out of the way when the bunk is down?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020