What if you don't have a heater?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Two Bears, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Two Bears

Two Bears New Member

I don't think our PUP has a heater, not sure yet, but wondering about using the small electrical heaters in one to knock out the chill. We used these in our tents and it worked great. Anyone else out there use them?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Oh golly yes. [:D]
    Having a ceramic heater usually keeps us from having to run the furnace.
    If you add the camper make and model along with your tow vehicle information to the signature line we'll be able to better help.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Ditto on adding your pup to your signature line.

Our previous pup did not have a furnace, so we used a small space heater several times on trips in cold weather. For us, that meant being sure we found a campground with power, since we usually dry camp. We also used an electric blanket or mattress pad.

In the Cobalt, we have a furnace, so don't take the quartz heater as often, When we know it is likely to be under 20 or so, and we'll have power, we do take it as a supplement. Unlike many, the furnace noise doesn't bother us, but the extra fan and ability to aim the airflow in an area other than the furnace output is handy. Again, we take the electric mattress pad when we'll have power.

Heat retention measures are important: throw rugs, PUGs, outside and inside (we only use the bunk end liners, the inside version, when the temps are really cold), curtains, something over the metal doorway (I use a piece of Polartec fleece).

Here's a whole section dedicated to cold weather camping, whatever your definition of cold weather:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

4. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Those little ceramic heaters are great. We used 2 on one trip and got too hot! A hoodie or hat make a big difference in staying warm. We ran an extension cord from the electric box, plugging in to the extra outlet, due to the fact that 2 heaters will overload the inside power.

5. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

A lot of my camping is done around 8000 feet. If I am in a campground with electric, I use my ceramic heater instead of the furnance. It dors the job of keeping the PUP warm. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

6. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

We have used electric blankets a couple times. Each person can adjust the temperature to their own liking. They are easy to pack and if its not too cold you use them as a regular blanket. The best part ... turn them on about 15 minutes early and you are climbing into a warm bed.

7. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Have two small heaters we use in the TT, one sits on the counter facing the back the other sits on the stove top facing the front.. We first bought the one heater about 4 years ago when we still had the pup and night time temps were dropping into the 40-50 degree range, try finding a small electric heater in a store at the end of August...

9. chasw98

chasw98 Chuck, Debbie, and grandson Jacob

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yup, we use one too! Our oscillates and we place it in the middle of the PUP and it keeps both bunkends warm. Our PUP has a furnace, it will roast us out if we're not careful, but when it is just a little cool, and we have electric, we use the ceramic deal.

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Get one or two elec heater if your are camping with elect. If dry camping get a wave heater or a mr heater.

I like the wave heaters because there is not battery and it's low pressure LP and can be connected to the quick disconnect of the stove propane line. Also, the wave is faster for two reasons its cooler and it's a catalytic heater. Downside of the wave models is the max BTU is 8,000 BTU where Mr heater had a 18,000 BTU unit. also, wave heaters are about 2X the price of Mr Heaters

13. Two Bears

Two Bears New Member

Thanks for all the info and tips. I added our Truck and Camper, sorry about that, I am not that "techy" but will try to keep up [;)]
    Since we just got our camper 2 days ago, we will be spending our weekend checking it all out. We are excited to get this little guy on the road and get camping [CP]

14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

We can use our Mr Buddy w/o batteries as well (don't use the fan) and w the optional 20# hose connector which has a regulator on it provides low pressure, and connects to 20# or smaller w proper connector tank or can use 1# cannisters.

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Snuggle closer.... [;)]
    We use a Parabolic Heat Dish. It worked fine in the Pup without a heater and in the HTT it keeps the furnace from running in all but the coldest temps.

16. Two Bears

Two Bears New Member

Found out today we have a heat strip, that should help! Thanks for all your responses!

17. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I'm just going to throw out a no-tech solution, just because I can. [:D]

A large microfiber or fleece blanket. It'll add about 15-20 degrees of comfort rating to your existing bedding, without the use of batteries, power, or propane.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

IIRC, most are not terribly impressed with the output of heat strips, they seem to more something to take the edge of a chilly day. However, if you aren't likely to encounter much colder than chilly weather, heat retention measures, warm clothes and bedding in addition to the heat strips may just be what you need.

19. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

we have used a Mr heater big buddy heater for years in tents and the pop hook up to 20 pound tank that sits outside keeps us nice and warm

20. Two Bears

Two Bears New Member

Yes, we camp year round in south Texas, and will carry a small heater for winter use! Thanks to everyone for all y'all's input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk