What imprinted you? What are you imprinting?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Merlin14, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

I remember camping with the scouts probably 50 years ago. The smell of the canvas tents, hard rails of the cots. The freedom of having all day to fish, shoot, swim and explore. The responsibility of cooking for the group, everyone had to take a turn. Frying a big pan of bacon trying not to let any burn. I've been a cook ever since.

I would meet up with my father in law every year back in the 90's with my two sons. He and his wife would be on their way west or north out of Florida for their annual 4 month camping trip with his Palomino. We would meet at Twin Lakes in upstate SC in May and then again in August somewhere else as he was heading home. I learned how to camp popup style from him. My sons loved these trips, I think it was the freedom to have all day to fish, explore and just 'be'. My oldest son was in charge of the campfire and really took pride in being able to restart the fire in the morning from embers. Both sons loved to head out in the morning and fish while I cooked breakfast.

It is so peaceful to sit near a campfire in the quiet of the evening and talk in low voices.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[:O] This story had my heart racing. Love it!

A good example of why adults should always be honest with kids. I'm sure he didn't want to scare you kids with the possibility of running into a bear. Our childhood imaginations are much worse than reality. [LOL] I would have thought exactly the same thing you did!

This reminds me of us. My husband had never camped in his life when we met. Thirty years later, he is a veteran, like me. [:D]

3. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

My parents imprinted nothing on nor for me when it comes to camping and really, anything. That being said, I hope by taking my kids camping and spending time with them, they will look back and have the memories and feelings that I was not blessed with. In general, I don't like to think about my childhood which gives me all the motivation I need to give my kids the memories and life I hope they will cherish and choose to remember!

4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

My first experience camping was at a youth camp, my parents never camped. Went camping on my own when I got my first car when I was 18

5. lisad424

lisad424 New Member

Great post Merlin! Gave me chills. Sounds like a hundred camping trips I was on as a kid. All tents until we were grown and parents started buying campers. But the hiss of the lantern and the staring into the first have never changed. We took our son tent camping many time (always wish there were more SO parents just go before they get too old). I hope we instilled in him the same. The smell of back sizzling over the campfire, hiss of the lantern the glow of the fire. Leave it better than you found it and help your fellow camper when you can.

6. Jughed

Jughed Member

My family refused to travel or camp... mostly my mom. But my old man started me off boating/fishing at the age of 3. He gave me a love for the ocean that will never die - its where I belong. Spent much of my early teens working on commercial and charter fishing boats, and have owned a boat of my own since the age of nine - minus a few short years.

My children have been on the water since the moment mom was ready to get back on the boat - typically 2 months. I can only hope they enjoy the memories we are giving them as much as I did...

My wife has the travel/camping bug. We started in a tent with the kids 5 years ago, my youngest was 6 months at the time. Since then we have upgraded to our PUP and typically camp once a month. All the stars aligned and we had the chance to take the kids cross country and back - a chance to show them the true beauty this country has to offer... another memory I hope they enjoy as much as I do.

7. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

My earliest camping memory is awakening in my Mom's arms in the back seat of my family's 1949 Crosley. I was probably 3 years old. My Dad was still sleeping in the front seat with my 5 year old brother. I don't know where we were (some place near a water fall) but my young parents were so happy to get out and camp they did it without a tent!

Two years later we owned a two room "umbrella" tent, a Coleman lantern and three burner stove. We camped summers at Charge Pond in Massachusetts back at the time the campsites were right on the water. One year (1957?), we camped there for an entire month - my Dad commuted to work from there for the last two weeks. The hissing of the lantern and the croaking of the frogs put me to sleep at night. The sound of a Coleman makes me think of those days even now. I have no doubt that those days were among the happiest days of my life.

Let's see: back yards in a crappy canvas pup tent; boy scouts; a giant Army surplus tent on the Ditch Plains beach near Montauk; more crappy dome tents all over; a converted '68 Econoline with my new bride on Cape Cod; one man backpacker tents in Colorado, Washington, California, Oregon, Vermont, Maine, Adirondack Trail (yeah, it was New Jersey).

I'm retired now and my little Starcraft and I are travelling a bit and camping a lot. A broken leg in June has made me delay the big trip out west. That's ok - I have more time to plan, I guess. But still, the memory of those days out in the open, my parents easy acceptance and accommodation of living outdoors has given me a gift that has lasted a lifetime. I'm not done yet, by God. See you on the road.

8. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Tell us more! A pleasure to read what's been written by all.
    It's a bit like sitting around the fire and hearing "...we stared camping by ____ in a_____, and now with my family we ____, and ____ sometimes too!"

Mountains, beaches, cars, tents, TT's, kerosene lanterns, Coleman stoves, boats, fishing and backpacking, campfires, and so much more that makes your outdoor experience unique.

Dash off a few lines. They are being read and enjoyed.
    So what's your story?

9. davev98498

davev98498 New Member

I know its sacrilegious, but I am not a fan of hissing Coleman lanterns - or their glare. (The stoves I can tolerate).

My first camping trip was with a neighbor and his sons because my step-dad served in WWII in N. Africa and he said he did all the 'camping' he was ever going to do. I liked everything about camping - except for the glare.

When I got older, I got myself an old-fashioned kerosene lantern; The soft glow and quiet flame suited me just fine, and provided enough light to get around at night if one allowed one's eyes to adapt. But I also keep a very modern headlamp on or in my pocket for when I really need to see what I'm doing and to use my hands. My headlamp has a red light too, if I want to preserve a bit of dark adaptation; that is sometimes important as I like to do some astronomy with my binoculars while I am out under dark skies.

I keep my kerosene lantern filled and ready to go in the Pop-Up, enjoy the glow, and the quiet too.

10. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I was a "late bloomer. My family didn't camp as I grew up. We would go to the 1000 Islands where my parents rented a very rustic cabin for a week. I would like to say it was only to keep us out of the rain but as I remember, the cabin leaked something awful. The cooking was done outside and the dished at a community wash station. It was the closest thing I got to camping as a child.
    Fast forward to the early 80's and the day I told my DW I wanted to get a PUP. She had camped as a child and was real receptive to the idea. The first PUP was a 1983 Coleman Sun Valley. We have 2 DD's and they loved the idea of camping. We put then to work during the setup and they both liked being part of the whole experience.
    We "PUPPED" for the next 5 years before moving to a tent. That was due to ME getting a boat and my DW not wanting to tow the camper. The DW's were also getting older and were not as enthused about leaving their friends for long to go camping. But for a few more years, we continued to tent camp.
    More fast forwarding. The girls were married and each of them some how had retained the enjoyment for camping deep in them. My oldest daughter and her husband started to tent camp and decided to get a PUP. They had it for several years before stepping up to a HTT and then a TT. My youngest daughter didn't mess around. Her and her husband went right into a TT. My DW and I got another PUP after about 20 years and now have a HTT. Nice thing is we all camp together for the most part along with a number of their friends.
    Each time we go out, I think back to the start of our camping and how we all grew to love it. The girls now have children of their own and have passed the love of being outside camping on to the grandchildren. There are so many things my family has learned from camping and it great to see it being passed on.

11. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Many a Labor Day weekend, my grandparents would bring my dad, mom, brother and me to Fish Creek in upper New York State where we would leave from NJ and drive through the night to park in a line for the gates to open in the morning. It was crowded in the car, cold many times, and would sometimes take hours for people to vacate a site and the next car to enter. (This is why I love the reservations systems these days!)

We would pull out granddad's stinky old green canvas tent that smelled of mold, spread it out, and set up. We were lucky if it was not raining or if the rain stayed away for the 4-day weekend. It seemed like it always rained, and that's what my kids think of us camping to this day. We would start a campfire, get out the old Coleman 2 burner stove (which my brother still keeps for his bug out kit), and be warned not to touch the lantern mantles until my dad could sit at the picnic table by the lakeside (freezing cold water!) to make sure we could see at night when we would walk to the pit toilets up the road.

Ah, those were the good old days. I learned a lot about the outdoors and to this day would rather live in the mountains by the lake to swim, fish, and relax. I don't miss the leaky green canvas moldy tent (which we always had to air out for days after we got back), and I don't miss waiting in a long line; but I do miss the deep and wonderful times only found in my memories now. I tried to pass along some of the camping spirit but my three grown kids have been obstinate until the last couple of years. One daughter right now is camping/hiking throughout the West with her DH who is driving around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon today on the middle of a 2-week trip. The other daughter brought her kids camping with us last week, and her DH got the camping bug and is going to buy a camper. Our son still thinks camping is staying at a hotel with a number in its name but he does like hiking. We'll win him over. (They camped with us as kids but didn't like it -- bugs, heat, rain, no TV..... Get over it Buttercup. Build a bridge and get over it!)

12. Orchid

[:O] What if people didn't leave? Did you ever not get a site?

Growing up, I have no idea if we ever had reservations. They may have taken called-in ones, I'm not sure. Back then, the campgrounds were always half empty, so I doubt it.

I remember the green canvas tent as well. Took forever for my dad to set it up and weighed a ton. It had been a store display and had a spot of graffiti inside that was a heart with initials in it. [LOL]

13. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

Growing up in West Michigan, not more than a 15 minute drive from Lake Michigan, we spent many a weekend at roasting on the beaches, and enjoying a family Sunday hike through the trails at the county park. We only had a tent and we would go camping once every couple of years there was always camping with friends or a church outing at the camp grounds. I think it was growing up in the country, playing in the woods, and farms, and having such easy access to the beach gave me a love for the outdoors. Now that I'm married and live in the city camping and outdoor shenanigans has become important to me again.

14. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Well, Orchid, we seemed to always get a site before lunch time but mainly still in the morning. I wouldn't take that chance nowadays!

15. Orchid

This thread deserves a bump.

16. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

I didn't grow up camping. My father died when I was five, and my mother had never camped. My brother was in Boy Scouts, and later when he was at a boarding school he went with a group on a backpacking trip on the AT for two weeks. He had horrible blisters from his boots but still loves talking about that trip.

My only camping experience before meeting my DH was when I was in junior high school and my family drove over to Shreveport, LA and went on some kind of group trip with my aunt and cousin and I guess a bunch of other people; I have no idea what that trip was for (it was a LONG time ago!). We were at a lake on the border between Texas and Louisiana, and we were in a large canvas tent. My main memory of that trip, which was a one-nighter, was waking up in the morning and discovering that my brother and my cousin had tied the tent entrance shut so that the rest of us couldn't get out. Stinkers!

After that there was no more camping until, as I said, I met my DH. He grew up in Florida, and between Boy Scouts and just being a Florida boy he spent his whole young life camping and fishing and diving. One Christmas his parents bought a little boat with a outboard motor for him and his brothers; the boys built a little hand trailer for it and would haul it down the road to the Hillsborough River to fish and swim. One of my favorite stories from his childhood was when he and his fellow Boy Scouts hiked out into the swamp and camped. Well, a hurricane moved into the area, and of course they had no weather radio back then, but when the weather got threatening they started back. They had to slog through a mess, and they couldn't get a fire started because of rain and wind, so they ate cold beanie weenies from cans for a couple of days. Needless to say, their parents were glad to see them when they got back safely.

My DH's family was a Navy family, and for a while they had a trailer they lived in and moved to whichever area they were stationed. I know they lived in it in Charleston for three years -- two adults and three active little boys in what was essentially a small camper! Later down the line after they moved to the Tampa area and my FIL retired from the Navy they bought a StarCraft pup and would take camping trips in it. They would pull that pup behind their station wagon up to the mountains in TN and NC in summer. They still had it sitting in the back yard when DH and I took our first trip together to the Florida Keys when we started dating. That was fun, but the no-see-ums still ate me alive!

DH was career Navy, too, and wherever he was he took every opportunity to camp. He had a buddy when he was in CA, and the two of them would tent camp up in the Sierras. They had several adventures involving high winds and bears while up there. When he was in Spain he bought a sleeping bag and a couple of pots and would camp as he traveled around. We still have the sleeping bag and use the pots in our current camping gear.

When DH and I moved in together I introduced him to REI, which I had joined the year before -- I wasn't camping, but I discovered them when searching for boots to hike up a mountain in Spain when I visited him -- and we promptly bought economical backpacking gear and started camping. I was definitely hooked. We have moved from an el cheapo tent to a couple of quality backpacking tents and to a car camping tent and then to our pup in our journey. The move to a pup was mostly because with my back issues and aging it just wasn't fun sleeping on the ground anymore. We have really enjoyed our pup, but I wish we could use it more often. For several years we've been in a situation I'm sure many of you can relate to -- caregivers for aging parents, watching them slowly go downhill, etc. My in-laws have both passed away now, and my mother is declining. I'd love to be out camping on weekends, but at this point I am with her every day. It's just not possible. So while a part of me longs to be out there, most of me is trying to cherish the time I have left with my mother. There will be time later to camp.

17. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

I like hearing these histories about legacies made and being made. There's a thread about longest trips and it's a good read too. Share your stories!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. Camp-or

Camp-or New Member

great post!! I pretty much grew up in a pup. My parents took me on my first camping trip in theirs at 6 months old and every summer from then until probably high school we did at least one trip a month and always a week or two week long trip somewhere in there. For me the imprint is the smell of the canvas.

I bought my first pup last weekend. When we went to go look at it and the PU opened it up that smell of the canvas hit me and a wave of memories of childhood camping came flooding back. Exploring every nook and cranny of the campsite with my brother and cousins, sitting around the camp fire at night, burning the ends of sticks in the fire and writing our names in the air with the embers (probably frowned upon these days), catching squirrels with peanuts tied to the ends of fishing poles (probably also frowned upon!) so many good memories. I just hope my son will have as many good memories as I do.

My DW on the other hand, has less favorable memories of camping. She's had periods of her life where she's had to live in tents in woods, sometimes just under tarps. So naturally her views on camping were rather negative when we first got together, however I hope that I can change that for her. She took a big leap by agreeing to the pup, and so far it seems to be a positive thing. She's excited about it and hopefully will continue to have good experiences from here out.

19. Orchid

The world is so much different now than when I was a kid. Even my own kids were not allowed to leave the loop we were camped on. When I was a kid, we would hop on our bikes and explore every inch of the entire campground. We'd go out on row boats and kayaks on our own and rarely see our parents before sundown.

Now, with my grandchildren, I won't let them out of my sight. The world may have always been just as scary, but without the internet, we didn't know about it.

That's so horrible and sad. She is a real trooper and incredibly brave to agree to camping for the sake of your family. I hope she can overwrite the imprints in her mind with wonderful memories made with you and your son.

20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have been there and it's not fun but if it was not for the fact that I was raised camping living in the woods would have been much worse than it was. Just let her no the living outside and camping are completely different. When you go camping you are just wisiting the outdoors for a little bit than you go home. When living outdoors there is no place else to go you are home. The worst thing about it was the total lack of security. It you had something of value it had to be caried everywhere you went.

Anyway's Congrats on the ntu pup.