What is a hybrid?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by lynnmarie0123, Jul 9, 2020.

1. RobertGreenlee

RobertGreenlee Member

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

One thing to remember with a hybrid is that it can give you the option to "turtle it". In places like Fishing Bridge, where soft-sided campers are not allowed, you can take your hybrid and not open the tent ends during your stay. It may be tighter and you are sleeping on a couch or dinette, but you can do it and meet the "must be hard-sided" rule. With a soft-sided popup, you are unlikely to be able to camp in it without opening it, so you can't meet that rule.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

it is one of the heavier ones, yes. A truck might be nice but you don't need one but you would need a bigger SUV than the 4-runner for sure. My V8 Durango handles it very well. We will have towed this 18,000 miles by the end of this year. It was the best floor plan for us two gals with our daughters. Our hubbies generally don't go though my hubby now being retired is starting to go more often) -

4. Latkison

Latkison New Member

We upgraded from our 25yr old PuP last year to a Hybrid. Best Purchase Ever!!!

Ours is 22ft KZ Coyote with 3 bed drop down. I can tow with my Highlander but prefer using the 3/4 ton until I can get a Durango.

We spent 10 days in Virginia last December with the 100# dog and kids (20,16 & 9). Lots of Room & the older kids never complained about anyone being in their space. The 9 yr slept on the couch/futon cuddled with the dog.

Hubby, I and the dog have taken it and "turtled" it when it was storming when we arrived and we too tired to do set up. We also love the convenience of having a place to rest mid day at truck stops for lunch.

I didnt want a full enclosed because we do alot of boondocking and it's nice to be able to open the bunks up and let air circulate through. Plus for me it still allows for the "camp" sounds without the extra hassles of setting up tents or PuP.

As I've gotten older, I want to spend less time setting up camp and more time enjoying the fire, butt in the sand and cold one in my hand

I'll post pics of ours.

Attached Files:

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The biggest issue I have with hybrids is the bunks. Neither of us want to crawl over the other for those midnight potty breaks. DW, and I agree, requires a bed that you can at least shimmy around and not wake your partner. We have pretty much settled on a murphy bed option for a new camper. We found one floor plan that actually had a front murphy and a rear pop out, so it was perfect for our needs. Unfortunately Forest River decided to discontinue it this year after only 3 years on the market, and I never once saw one for sale close to me (not that we could have afforded new anyway).

I like the concept of hybrids for the extra space you get in a smaller footprint, and the newer ones are so much easier to get the bunks out. If I were camping alone, a small hybrid would fit the bill for sure. I too am getting tired of the 3 hour packing/unpacking chores I commonly deal with.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Mine has the rear king slide, so you still have to shimmy out of bed, you dont have to crawl over anyone.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Or popup AND pop out. :)

myride likes this.
  8. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for the. Photos.
    On the floor plan. A “Jiffy” is a couch? First time I have seen that word on a floor plan.
    Happy camping.

9. GalsofEscape

i had never heard of that either - so googled it:
    What is a jiffy sofa?
    The jiffy sofa is just like the jackknife sofa but without the storage drawer. You have storage under the sofa accessible by pulling down the access panel. We store our tarps under here and the poles. You'll find this in the bunkhouse

10. GalsofEscape

that is pretty neat - but i would have a hard time with those latches...

frankvanw1 likes this.
  11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Hehe. Yes. But you have to climb to get the roof latches anyway!

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When mine was made in 2005 they only offered queen beds.. good job I go to bed around the time dw gets up to use the facilities..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. GalsofEscape

haha - uh huh i was referring to ALL the latches. I don't do too good on ladders. (where does the ladder store anyway???)

14. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

It's not a hybrid though.
    I remember a couple of hybrid owners that did a mod to extend the bunk platform length so they could sleep north-south.
    We never had the crawling over issue because I never have to get up during the night. I slept on the far end of the bed and the DW slept on the inside since she often has to get up during the night.

15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

However you want to describe them...When i get another camper its not gonna have canvas or whatever they call it nowadays.
    I like my pop up well enough but i wont miss it too bad.

16. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

We have a 2005 Travel Star hybrid with one bunk on the front and one bunk on the side. We enjoy it very much. Just got back today, actually. You still have to mess with the beds but folding them down and up is better than sliding them out. And you can leave a lot more things in the kitchen, pantry and even the bath so you don't have to pack and unpack all that stuff every time! It's a great step up from a popup but you still get the "camping" feeling!

Sjm9911 and firepit like this.