what is a reasonable TV for a 233 roo?

Popup Paul

Feb 13, 2012
Ok here's my dilemma. I want to switch to the dark side and get the largest rig practical. I need to replace the TV first and my wife will be the primary driver of the new TV. there is no way she will drive a pickup, so what mid-sized suv or other vehicle can I get to tow a 233 roo, that my wife won't mind driving? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
What is the GVWR of the Roo ? Start with that and go from there to find something that can not only tow the Roo's (gvwr) but also stop it..

Edit** found the GVWR to be 6402lbs ... So look for something that can tow 6400lbs ..

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
Oh Rocky... Where are you? LOL

What is your budget for a TV?
New or used?
Two wheel drive or four?
Number of seats needed?

My first guess would be something with a V-8, or eco-boost V-6.

There's a lot more than weight involved with a TT. Big trucks' mileage really suffers pulling a TT, that's how much wind resistance there is.

I'm thinking Tahoe or Suburban, but I'm not familiar with other brands that have become popular over the last ten years.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
Let me collect my thoughts on this and reply later. But for now I will say this: I pulled mine for a year with 2 older suburbans, both with 5500 pound tow ratings. Although they seemed to do ok at the time the rearend bearings in the newer one were quickly destroyed. I now realize as well how much they were struggling. Mine mostly packed scales at 5000 pounds with an 800 ish pound tongue weight. My new Silverado handles it just fine, but don't let anyone lie to you, you won't forget it is back there. My truck has a 9600 pound rating for the record. More later

mkaczala

Jun 4, 2010
Where we camp annually we always see the same spot occupied with a Roo with a large slideout. They pull with a Grand Cherokee. I imagine it would have to be equipped with a 8cylinder. Don't think a hybrid with that weight should be pulled with anything less than a v8. I think Tahoe, sequia or Durango would also be good choices.

Jeepin Dad

Sep 6, 2011
We were in the same situation about a month ago when we decided to up-size to a TT, similar in size to the Roo. After talking to a couple of friends who regularly tow TT's, heavy boats and other equipment they guided us towards going with a 3/4 ton verses a 1/2 ton TV. The people we talked to said that the 1/2 tons would do the job but we would be pushing some of the 1/2 ton components (axles, transmissions) near their limits with wind resistance from the frontal area and some of the grades we climb to get to some of our favorite campgrounds and we would probably end up with higher maintenance costs.

We ended up trading in JeepMama's minivan in for an 2003 3/4 ton Chevy Avalanche in really good condition with a 12000 lb tow rating. We have done a couple trips so far and even pulling in OD up a few good grades on hot days (90's) the transmission doesn't hunt and the tranny temp hasn't climbed over 200 deg. At first she was a little unsure of driving a vehicle that size but is getting used to it and now likes her truck. Eventually we may end up picking up a smaller car that gets a little better mpg for her to use as a daily driver.

Popup Paul

Feb 13, 2012
Thank you for the great replies. You have provided info that I suspected in m my search to date. I think if we do this it would be better to purchase a used tv dedicated to towing the new rig. Or downsizing the new camper to something more manageable. The last part is hard since I think bigger is better. We have two teenage children. 16&14. They need their space.I saw that the jeep had higher tow capacities but was wondering about the wheel base and if it were rugged enough to actually tow the htt.

Thanks again guys

supton

May 26, 2012
At 16&14... Any chance they could just tent it? They could bail if the weather is bad, otherwise they could be allowed the biggest tent they wanted. As long as they themselves are doing the put up / take down, of course.

BigBaron

Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...
Jun 21, 2012
An inexpensive, dedicated TV would be the best if you are going to have a TT that big. A 23 is huge, though. Then again, I'm the guy who thinks a 12' box popup is big for our family... [:D]

Indy

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2012
For me personally, I had one 17-yr-old & 2 big camping dogs. We bought a Rockwood 2514g and it still seems like a TON of space. DH is now 18 and graduated, and I'm not sure how much longer he'll be coming along with us. I'm starting to think we went TOO big and should've stuck with a smaller pop-up - less expense and less to tow. I don't know that I'd agree that bigger is better, but I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making.

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
Jeep, Dodge and Ford on their midsize SUV's limit the frontal area on the towed vehicle.
Most of the HTT's and TT's will have a frontal area that is larger than they allow.
Weight is not your only consideration.

Talonman

Aug 1, 2012
I'm in the same search right now to pull the 23 IKSS I want to buy, I have a Sierra Denali that will do it but I want to have another option.

We want Diesel because she drives lots and not so big, so far 07+ X5 and Touareg are in the mix. My friend has a newer Durango and it pulls very nice with the v6 and the economy is crazy, we pulled the race car on the weekend (yes only 4300lbs or so and low tot he ground) about 400k and used less than 1/2 tank.

DaveWo

May 19, 2013
DH is now 18 and graduated, and I'm not sure how much longer he'll be coming along with us.
Well now that your husband has finally graduated maybe he can make something of himself. [:D] [:D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

huizarr

Nov 19, 2009
We are pulling a 23ikss with a Ford Expedtion. If you do go with the Expedtion make sure you get the optional tow package.

Storm trooper is correct that Ford limits the size of the frontal area. On their standard tow package it is 36.5 square feet and the optional tow package is 60 square feet.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] currently sitting at a roadside park about 50 miles north of port Huron Michigan on M25 having lunch in the rain. [;)]

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
Storm Trooper said:
Jeep, Dodge and Ford on their midsize SUV's limit the frontal area on the towed vehicle.
Most of the HTT's and TT's will have a frontal area that is larger than they allow.
Weight is not your only consideration.

I want to add that just because an auto manufacturer does not limit the frontal area being towed does not mean that is is a safe vehicle to tow an HTT or TT.
Many vehicles have plenty of power to tow, but mid size SUV's have too high a center of gravity along with the wheelbase being to short and too narrow to safely handle an HTT or TT.

Talonman

Aug 1, 2012
Like the Touareg is rated to pull 7700#, dude that is getting big and I have seen it done in the wild. I guy next to us at Sandy Mcnabb must have had a 30' TT behind a Touareg and I just kept thinking tail wagging the dog.

JeepMama

Super Active Member
Jun 10, 2011
Popup Paul said:
there is no way she will drive a pickup

That is what I said... 6 weeks later... my lovely Honda Minivan is no more...

I really wanted a Tahoe or Yukon (not a Suburban - too long!) But, as Jeepin Dad said, ultimately we needed that 3/4 ton.

The things I like about the Avalanche:
It is a little more stylish than a typical 4 door pick-up
The back seats are nice, comfortable for our two boys - roomy
The saddlebag storage bins are convenient, lockable.
The rear seats fold down and the back window comes out, and the back panel folds down to make an extended truck bed.
They all seem to come standard with a bed cover.

The things I don't like about the Avalanche:
$150 to fill up the gas tank and lousy MPG
If I put groceries in the back of the truck, they usually end up spilling out of the bags and rolling around back there :/
It is not easy to park and back up, perhaps I am just not used to it yet.

MrsRockyRoo

Jul 8, 2013
Honestly I never saw myself driving a pick up either.... But Mr. Roo was looking for a more capable tow vehicle and I was looking for a bigger vehicle than my Civic to haul around 2 golden retriever mixes and something to handle winter drives a bit better. I was thinking a traverse or like. We decided it would be silly to have 2 part time vehicles so we took the Silverado out for a test drive. I love it. I drive it often and don't have any issues with the uses I've had for it. We've been complimented many times about the ride and comfort of the seats. It may be worth a test drive before ruling it out ....