What is "healthy" cooking to you?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by CaliforniaPoppy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I try to eat watch the fat and refined sugar content of the food I eat.

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

They are when the decompose over a certain amount of time. If used when there is sufficient time prior to harvest, they become harmless.

3. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

"Healthy" cooking is the practice maintaining a sanitary kitchen environment, avoiding cross-contamination with raw meats, storing food at safe temperatures to avoid bacterial growth, etc...

[:D]

"Healthful" cooking to me is mostly a matter of using fresh ingredients, lean meats, fresh vegetables, whole grains, etc. I try to avoid using processed factory food. Fresh food simply tastes better and for the most part, you know what you are eating.

Take for example peanut butter. I buy Trader Joe's peanut butter, the salted version. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.
    Check out the label on Skippy some time. (!)

I do however, agree with the everything in moderation theory. I'm by no means a "health nut." No reason one can't have a nice breakfast of bacon and eggs when camping. Just not something you want to do every day.

"Why eat healthfully?" My days of indestructible youth are long gone. As I age and face my own mortality, I would simply like to avoid heart disease and diabetes, two very common health problems that are very much related to the typical American diet.

4. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Re: What is "healthy" cooking to you?

The award-winning documentary "Forks Over Knives" changed my life for the better on July 4, 2012. Whole-foods plant-based eating is now a way of life. So happy to have made this change and am healthier than I've ever been. Ever! And my Dr. is thrilled with my test results, so now I'm off most of my diabetes and cholesterol meds. Not to mention I'm 42 pounds lighter. I will never ever go back!

5. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I hate to derail further, but that was true of the old school pesticides. The new systemic pesticides are taken up by the plant and exist in the vegetable or fruit.

6. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

One of the big things for me is cutting down on processed foods. Processed tends to be much higher in sodium and lots of preservatives. I'm attempting to move more to a "paleo" diet, but it's so difficult to completely cut out grains. I know that I feel better when I don't eat a lot of grains. It's very hard to put my finger on exactly what it is, though.

7. tenttrailer

The real thing to watch is growth hormones. If you go to Europe one thing you notice is the people are shorter. But her in the US the people with European heritage general are much taller.

Europe does not allow any meat to be sold that the live stock has been feed growth hormones. The US has been feeding live stock growth hormones since the 50's. The empirical observation would be that growth hormones that the US feed it's live stock has made the US population taller.

Pesticides: I'm not an expert. But back in the 70's I work at a large orchard during a harvest. In talking with the manager, there seems to be certain regulations about any trace signs of pesticides in the harvested. I think they would not spray the trees withing 30 day of harvest. They could only spray the fruit xx days before harvest and each pesticide had specification for the number of days.

Risk of pesticides vs E coil: I think you have a greater chance of harm from dirty hands picking the harvest or E coil from organic manure and compost that is not prepared property then the pesticides from a commercial farm. It seems we seen several deaths, illness and recalls do to E coil over the past 5 years.

8. Haybale

That's like saying all bacteria will make you sick. There are hundreds of types/styles/brands of pesticides.

If it were not for the use of pesticides, the pests would kill off the majority of the food supply. Pesticides were developed to save the crops, not just to kill bugs for the heck of it.

Everyone always talks about pesticides, never about herbicides or fungicides. That is the people who are uneducated, we used very little pesticides on the farm I grew up on, only if we had an infestation. Herbicides were regularly used in the spring and early summer to kill off the weeds, once the crop was leafing out it blocked the sun from the ground preventing new weeds from growing.

9. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I'm not sure why you are on the "Healthy Cooking" post touting chemical ingestion. Maybe you feel a need to "educate" us all, since apparently none of have done our research and choose not to eat the crap people have been saying are "safe" for years, when studies are coming out saying they aren't so safe. The only ones thinking chemicals sprayed on food is safe are farmers that use it and the people making the stuff.

10. tenttrailer

I think it's because of the link that someone mentioned organic farm food was more healthy and some of us don't fully agree.

11. Haybale

Plenty of posts in here are of assumptions and misconceptions of what 'organic' means. Just trying to get people to research themselves what they are going to eat.

I've known a few people, in person, that believe 'organic' is simply put a seed in the ground in the spring, water it, and harvest it when it is ready. That is not at all true....

Healthy cooking can only be as healthy as what you are cooking.

12. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Here is a quote off the USDA website about "Organic":

Organic is a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods. These methods integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, and genetic engineering may not be used.

U.S. producers are turning to certified organic farming systems as a potential way to lower input costs, decrease reliance on nonrenewable resources, capture high-value markets and premium prices, and boost farm income. Organic farming systems rely on ecologically based practices such as cultural and biological pest management, exclusion of all synthetic chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones in crop and livestock production.

They also had a list of 190 pesticides that could not be present on the food when tested for certification.

So for me....I'll go with that definition.

13. Haybale

I do not disagree with any of that. But are you aware that 'natural' pesticides can still be use, there is very little testing done on them as they are assumed to be safe. That is not what is being found out now. So the 'organic' is not necessarily better than the non organic.

"Are naturally derived pesticides less toxic than synthetic ones? The answer depends a lot on the dosage, says Gillman. "To control on the same acre of land," he explains, "I could use a tiny amount of a potent synthetic that has proved safe over the last 50 years, or a much larger amount of an organic pesticide." He demurs on saying which is better, saying, 'I want people to know that there are definitely tradeoffs'."

Received from:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/06/18/137249264/organic-pesticides-not-an-oxymoron

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

My thought on all of it is: All food you eat is a gamble because you didn't grow it yourself. I just feel Organic is a much better "health" gamble then consuming food that you know is most likely full of chemicals. What actually is the "Health" benefit of eating food that has absorbed and/or been sprayed with chemicals?

15. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Notice that these 190 chemicals cannot be present when tested for certification, when is certification? In the ground? After pulling crops?

Not trying to be argumentative, just that if I don't know, and no one else does, then these chemicals can still be present at SOME POINT IN TIME.

I do agree with biological warfare such as ladybugs or dragonflies to cull mosquitos. But these practices do still have their trade offs as well.

Again my opinion, I didn't grow it, I didn't butcher it, its not organic no matter what anyone says. I'm not going to pay the price of organic foods when I still don't know what products are being used to treat crops or meat.

Everything in business is about maximizing profit. If health care can turn a blind eye and hide behind the covers then so can big box stores and large organic producers. Supporting local farms and farmers is great, but again business is mostly about maximizing profit.

16. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Re: What is "healthy" cooking to you?

If it tastes good I'm gonna eat it.............find me a chunk of plutonium that tastes like pepper bacon, or those bacon wrapped peppers Fritz posted a picture of in that profanity thread, and I'll eat it. Chemicals.........sheesh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

17. tenttrailer

The FDA controls the antibiotics and pesticides presents in food. No food with traces of antibiotics and pesticides are to sold on the market for hman consumption. The farmers that are not organic and the organic farmers can not have traces of pesticides on or in the harvest that go's to market. That why they will not apply pesticides so many day before harvest. When a milk tanker trucks picks up milk at a dairy farm the driver takes samples at each farm. When the truck reaches the daire they test each sample for antibiotics and many other things. If any farm sample fails the entire truck is trash for human consumption. The farm that had the contaminated milk pays for the entire load. I would think it's the same for live stock, but I have no experience with live stock.

18. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

All I can say is Amen to this. :)

19. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Breakfast for us while camping - completely unhealthy. Other meals, pretty healthy. We grill our meats instead of frying. There are always veggies grilling right next to the meat (asparagus, broccoli, summer squash and brussel sprouts are some of our favorite grilled vegetables). We use whole grain pasta, breads and wraps. There is always fruit available. We also have things like baby bell cheese, yogurt and granola for snacking. Occasionally, we splurge on deli sandwiches for lunch but I use nitrite free and low sodium meats. Bad weather days we might have tuna sandwiches. Oh wait, one more unhealthy thing I make is my mommy smore. That is an unbreakable martini glass drizzled with sugar free chocolate syrup, rimmed with graham crackers and filled with chocolate liquor, buttershots schnapps and topped with a toasted marshmallow. What?! Mom's like chocolate and marshmallows too.

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Have a friend who is 100% vegan for heath reasons....and one night at work he puts bacon in the microwave.....it cooks up, smells like bacon, greasy like bacon...tastes like bacon???????
    buts its healthy tofu or soy or something.....
    and the chemical list on the package was a mile long......

I'll stick to the pig thank you