What is "healthy" cooking to you?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by CaliforniaPoppy, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I try to stay away from the the high fat and high sugar foods and eat fruits and vegetables.

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

When I want to eat healthy, and that is not as often as it should be, I really enjoy a Mediterranean style of eating. It is very healthy, and I really like a lot of the flavors.

We never eat that way camping, though.

3. just jim

just jim New Member

Spam wrapped in bacon , deep fried in lard , geez , just joking .

4. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

I've read a bunch of these posts and been following along. For me, it's kind of like when the cook diets, everyone diets. DW is pretty careful about what we eat, and becoming more so. We do grow some of our own veggies in the Spring and avoid chemicals that way, not fearing them, but the taste of homegrown stuff sure is flavor packed compared to store bought.

Chemical engineering has brought us great progress, but the profit motive requires strident regulation (China and Bakelite in formula, remember?).

I sure agree and have a lot in common with several here, especially the part about my own mortality and avoiding heart disease and diabetes. Moderation may be my greatest ally!

5. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I have to admit that I've spent more time researching the best food for my dogs, than I have for DH & I.

Having a strong family history of Diabetes, both parents, both grandfathers, my endocrinologist told me that there was nothing that I could have done different to avoid acquiring it. That said, I do drink diet pop (soda to non-Minnesotans. Having diabetes for 25 years, I have adopted the theory a carb is a carb, whether it's a piece of fruit or a candy bar.

DH came from a family where soda and munchies (chips, etc.) were not allowed. Mom gave them frozen green beans for treats. DH has issues with salt, so we do watch our sodium, and don't add salt.

What frustrates me, is you're told not to eat something, or told to take a certain vitamin or supplement, only to hear later that it's not good for you, or not effective. For example, I haven't drank milk since I was 8 months old, and diagnosed as allergic to milk. I can consume items made with milk, so I eat a lot of cheese, puddings, hot chocolate. I recently sustained a foot fracture that was slow to heal, and was concerned about my bone density. Last week, in our local newspaper there was an article about milk not adding calcium to bones.

My mom was not a coffee lover. I started drinking coffee at the age of 10 at my grandma's house. When my mom found out, she had a fit, and kept saying that it would stunt my growth. Well, I am 5'8" considered tall for a woman. Turns out that coffee prevents Parkinson's disease, and guess what, in her mid 50's my mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's and lived with it for almost 20 years. Parkinson's is one disease I wouldn't want. Go figure.

So in conclusion, we eat in moderation. We do occasionally have a comfort food like fried chicken, or bacon.

6. pjnlorrie

pjnlorrie Member

I subscribe to the four food groups plan: Beans, bacon, whiskey and lard!

7. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

My paternal grandparents were meat & potato people. Except for the summer/fall when there were fresh vegetables, they ate canned. Being dairy farmers they consumed high fat foods. I can remember eating at my grandparents and grandma would fry a pound of bacon, and then cook eggs in the bacon fat, basting the yokes with the bacon fat. Salt was put on everything. Grandpa lived to 87, grandma lived to 96.

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

We try and eat kosher as much as possible that covers most everything from GMO's on down. Don't get me wrong we are complete members of JFBH (Jews for Bacon and Ham) [:D] .

9. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

A double bacon triple cheese burger with extra beer.

But all in moderation of course don't want to piss off the Browns.. LOL

10. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Everything in moderation!

I watch my gluten, dairy, corn syrup, free daughter and her friends eating organic foods, paying higher prices then washing it down with rum and diet coke.
    Alcohol and sugar that causes cancer in laboratory rats. They wash, condition, oil and hair spray their hair and are concerned with the condition of their food. Managing in chemical then spraying it with shalack to seal it in.

Keep in mind 10 years ago butter was bad and margarine good, Science keeps changing their minds and we run in that direction.

Heck, at one point shock therapy was the cure for homosexuality and feminism historian. Lobotomies were used for insanity. We are to listen to their advice?

My grandfather, father, now I stay away from frozen, canned, processed foods. And ate everything in moderation. Grandpa lived to be 93. I don't think organics were even a concern to a guy who had a 55 gallons drum of DDT in the garage.

11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Eating healthy is a HUGE struggle for my wife and I. There is so much BAD and contradictory information out there, that it is VERY hard to know what to do healthy eating wise...

What I can tell you is that my Dr. has recommended, somewhat loudly, a low carb, no processed / and as organic as possible diet. A.K.A. Paleo (minus the dairy restrictions). Generally speaking, if it is soaked in Roundup to get it ready for harvest, I can't have it.

If it is on the "Dirty Dozen" list, it doesn't go in my shopping cart.

I try to avoid "white carbs" like potatoes, white rice, processed flour etc... and anything that has been shown to contribute to inflamation.

I'm not going to tell you what you should, or shouldn't eat. That's YOUR business not mine. I can tell you what I eat and what works for me.

For ME, and MY FAMILY, due to OUR issues, some typical camping meals would be...

Grilled Chicken Fajitas, with home made Pico De Gallo, guacamole, grilled onions and Nopales on corn tortillas. Served with grilled Elotes.

Omelettes with eggs, mixed vegetables, diced ham, and cheese.

Low carb spaghetti with meat sauce, with whole wheat garlic bread, and a Cesar Salad (on hold until Romaine doesn't try to kill me)...

Weber pit smoked BBQ ribs (dry rubbed) and roasted corn on the cob.

Grilled bratwurst with grilled onions, and peppers with some sort of salad....

The idea is to get more veggies in, and far less grains... I am not worried in the slightest about meat intake...

kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , eating heathly for me is home made food. Everything in moderation. I dont by into the organic craze, i know farmers and they use more pesticides on the organic stuff then the non organic. I do grow my own stuff in my garden when i can , it tasts better( well the tomatos do) but probubly the same amount of nutrients. If you want to be healthy, moderation and activity. And eat out less. Most resturaunt make stuff tast good by adding butter ,oil salt , sugar etc. Much more then you would add at home.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

For camping?....anything that's easy to cook....and doesn't give me the trots....

14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Funny how this gets resurrected at the holidays for two years running...

15. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't know what Elotes are and you can keep the spaghetti, but otherwise I'm on board. That sounds like good eating to me. [:)C]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  16. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Thick sliced bacon on the grill fried to a crisp and eggs cooked in the drippings.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My sister, at the age of 50, has gone back to school to get a Nutrition degree and is now working on her Masters Degree in Nutrition. She is NOT a "Shiite" nutritionist. She'll eat ice cream and loves a good pizza. She has helped me change my diet to eat healthier (although there is always a slip or two, but that's OK!).

The main thing she "preaches" is that NO ONE eats enough vegetables. She says that you can eat all of the fresh veggies you want with little regard to calories because there are few, but the benefits of the vitamins and fiber are many. The other part she preaches is portion size. You don't have to eliminate your favorite foods, use common sense and eat them in moderation. If you can conquer these, the rest falls into place. Of course, a little exercise is always a bonus.

I try to follow this at home and when on the road. One of my favorite camp meals is the old foil dinner - your choice of meat with onion and choice of veggies, wrapped in foil and place over the coals for about 20 minutes. If I don't have a fire, the grill works just fine. I like using chicken breast or pork with green beans, carrots and maybe a mini tater or some asparagus and top everything off with a touch of garlic. Healthy and nutritious.

Great, now I'm hungry.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Elotes A.K.A. Mexican roasted street corn. Typically grilled over a wood fire in the husk, served with butter, or Mayonaise, and toppings of your choice. I like mine with butter, and Tony Cacheries Creole Seasoning, my wife likes hers with Mayo and parmesan... What differentiates Elotes from regular grilled corn on the cob is the toppings. American corn on the cob is typically done with just butter and salt, which is good, but Elotes kicks it up about 2 notches...

Sorry, my perspective tends to be southern / southwestern. I've lived in the US / Mexico border states my entire adult life. I'm a big fan of authentic Mexican and to a lesser extend, Cajun cuisine... Sadly, most northerners don't get exposed to the truly good stuff. The worst Mexican food I have ever had was in Albany Oregon for example...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    kcsa75 likes this.
  19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I mainly buy meat and food from Costco. Occasionally from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I like the bacon at Sprouts.

20. BedHead

BedHead Member

On my doctors advice I started the Banting diet a couple of years ago. It's LCHF but not keto or paleo. I've not stuck to it 100% but it lowered my blood glucose and liver enzyme levels drastically. A typical day for me is bacon (sugar free) and eggs for breakfast, maybe with some cheese, tomato and avocado. I make bacon and egg cups to take to work. Salad including protein for lunch with avocado oil for dressing, or maybe leftovers from the night before. Some kind of meat, for example steak pan fried in butter with salt and pepper, sauteed mushrooms, and salad for supper. I try to and usually do eat tons of salad. I also eat fermented foods (raw) as much as possible (sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, kimchi) but I read labels in detail and only buy stuff that has no crap added. So I buy yogurt that only has whole non homogenized milk and bacterial culture. Or I make it at home but it's getting easier to find what I'm looking for at stores. The diet emphasizes the right kinds of fats (butter, coconut oil, ghee, avocado oil, olive oil, lard if it's pure), tons of fresh veggies (mainly the ones grown above the ground), no processed foods, and 50 or less grams of carbs a day (in any form from any food including vegetables). People use it for weight loss but for me that's just a side effect.

kcsa75 and HappyTraveler like this.